Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2015, 16:43   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Rich-
I suppose we'd have to run a poll and then adjust it for the non-standard audience we have here.(G) I remember racing on one boat with running backstays, but that wasn't my job. Other than that one boat, I don't remember any OPBs that had them. Almost all sloop, ketch, or yawl rigged, no cutters among them, come to think of it. So, maybe I've just been sailing on the wrong boats.
Anyone who has to move two 60'ers long distance...If they ARE the owner, I wouldn't be surprised to find there was a crew chief or logistics person who took care of those things, on their payroll. If I could afford to own two of those? I know my time would be too valuable to waste on the phone, looking for hired help. I might make the final interview or sign the contract, but if I had reliable staff? Hell no, that's what you pay the staff to do.
it looks like the company wants to operate these boats as charter boats similar to robin knox Johnston and chay blyths "Clipper" round the word race,for aging accountants,house wives,and other wannabees

must be in really bad condition,not to put their own punters on them
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:44   #32
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Good enough for me Hellosailor. No sense making a tsunami out of a ripple. Have a good evening.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:48   #33
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"must be in really bad condition,not to put their own punters on them "
Or they might be hung up in the process of hiring a new crew in the new locale, not everyone is willing to relocate. Or free for the time slot.

But speaking of bad shape...after Cheeki Rafiki, shouldn't a delivery skipper be asking for notarized ultrasounds showing the keel is properly attached and the structure hasn't suffered multiple grounding damages?(VBG)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 16:57   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
"must be in really bad condition,not to put their own punters on them "
Or they might be hung up in the process of hiring a new crew in the new locale, not everyone is willing to relocate. Or free for the time slot.

But speaking of bad shape...after Cheeki Rafiki, shouldn't a delivery skipper be asking for notarized ultrasounds showing the keel is properly attached and the structure hasn't suffered multiple grounding damages?(VBG)
with 4.5 meter(15ft) draft bulb keels ,some of them hydraulically canting, groundings would be the least of your worries LOL
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:56   #35
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
So that's why I'm never taken seriously.. my 'Posh' hyphenated surname
It certainly explains why Chris's BS detector was bending the full scale stops :big grin:

Although on reflection, maybe you are the exception that proves the rule
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 19:49   #36
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
People think that because they are offering lots of $$ that you will put up with crap. Just say no.
I'll put up with ton's of crap - I mean heaps of it - for the right number of $$ signs. And I really don't need that many $$ signs anymore. But $$ is $$ and I like them.
Old 17-05-2015, 01:50   #37
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

LOL... Pallaran.. as long as I've a few pennies for my roll-ups and the odd beer I'm happy.. thats why I'm cheap.. its not a 'proper job' as it is for many.. and I pick and choose who I work for/with.. the mighty $ is no god off mine.. not the first I've knocked back.. and unlikely to be the last.
Bit like American corned beef and thier cheese.. rather starve than put it in my mouth.. proven fact..
Hello Sailor...
It was not the question that got to me.. its a reasonable request.. and I'd have given him the info about past experience including last year on the 64ft racer Azzurra 2.. it was the 'Google Me.. see who I am' that was the killer.. red flagged the job straight away..
I could not care less who the owner is or what their experience is.. even if they're assisting.. for the duration of the contract it will be sailed my way.. and micro-managers get up my nose..
As for running backstays.. they are very common along the S. Coast of the UK.. essential on Gaffers.. can be set up in fixed positions on modern cutters if shorthanded cruising and not going hell for leather..
But.. not being a 'Diva'... how could you possibly know..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 03:52   #38

Quote:
it was the 'Google Me.. see who I am' that was the killer...
Total narcissist. You can tell a lot about someone just by the nature of the things they say.

First thing I do when I meet someone new is look at their shoes. Second thing I do is start asking them questions about themselves. Third thing I do is see how long it takes them to steer the conversation away from themselves and either back to me or to a different topic.

Some do, some don't. The ones that do are keepers. The ones that don't.....

But man, some people just really love themselves.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:07   #39

Quote:
[/FONT]
I give my car to a valet, and I have no idea if they've ever met a manual shift and clutch. Or if they have idea any what mine might be like. The old big-block Mustangs used to have a warning light and buzzer on the dashboard, because everyone knew how to drive stick shift, sure. But with a 429 CobraJet engine, if you mistook fifth and reverse (both in the same place, depending on the transmission style) you could and would break your wrist as your car hit highway speed in reverse. So, "You ever drive one of these before?" wasn't at all unreasonable.
Hellosailor, if you want to use an analogy, please use one that is feasible....
Mistaking 5th and reverse......You would never get it into reverse at highway speeds....The gear ratios are so far off all you would be able to do is get a lot of grinding. I don't care if you have 5 H.P. or 500 H.P.
BTW a 429 CJ has between 370-390 H.P. from the factory (you referenced the "old big block"). I've built small block Chevy's that had as much as 700 H.P. and could turn 10 grand. You can't blow smoke up my a**
Miniyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:09   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:

As for running backstays.. they are very common along the S. Coast of the UK.. essential on Gaffers.. can be set up in fixed positions on modern cutters if shorthanded cruising and not going hell for leather..
But.. not being a 'Diva'... how could you possibly know..

If I recall correctly, some Open 60's don't have standing backstays. That's probably what he meant by "full running backstays". If you don't use them right, the rig can fall down, unlike the case with normal running backstays, which are used for tensioning inner forestays, like on my boat.

I do agree however that this guy's social media pages give the impression of an insufferable first-class wanker. "Google me"? To find out that he has an "aspiration" of a Vendee Globe? Since when do one's aspirations amount to glory? Or that he started (and apparently never finished) a refrigeration course at a U.S. technical college? Jeez.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:12   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miniyot View Post
Mistaking 5th and reverse......You would never get it into reverse at highway speeds....The gear ratios are so far off all you would be able to do is get a lot of grinding. . .
Some modern cars actually have a synchronizer on reverse. But cars of that era did not, so would be impossible to get them into reverse a highway speeds. You'd just strip the gears.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 04:34   #42
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Bit like American corned beef and thier cheese.. rather starve than put it in my mouth.. proven fact..
You know, at first I was offended but in contemplation, I agree. Our cheese does suck and seldom do I get a good reuben sandwich. What about thinly shaved roast beef though? That's some good stuff

I don't know about the guy who talked to you about this delivery. It seems pretty strange to look so far away for a crew. But the comment about "google me" may not be as bad as you perceive. If I was going to hire you, I'd spend a few hours, maybe a full day or two, googling for info on you to see if a) your real, and b) what you've done. And likewise, if I was going to hire someone and they wanted to know about me, the easiest way to let them know I'm "real" would be to google my name. (not much shows up though ) I think it may be a more normal comment then you think.
Old 17-05-2015, 04:45   #43

I believe Dockhead is correct regarding the backstays on the Volvo 60's but don't see what the big deal is about. Really.

First rule, tighten one and ease the other. Second rule, don't chinese gybe or you'll bring down the bloody rig. Third rule, don't forget rule number two.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvo_Ocean_60

I meet Alesandro Di Benedetto from Team Plastique in Horta last summer, he was there with Team Plastique in support of the Class Mini's. Met him and his sponsor at Peter's, started asking him questions not knowing who he was.

Ended up agreeing to have lunch with them the next day. Nicest, most approachable, unassuming guy I ever met.

Later on I am googling him to find out who the hell he is. Dude freakin solo crossed the Pacific in a 21' freakin sport-cat. Talk about unassuming. I was blown away.

The narcissist on the other hand specializes in self-aggrandizement and attention seeking.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	102245  
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 05:57   #44
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Delivery Knockbacks...

Its no different to a Gaff Rig in as much as there's no backstay.. trouble is all the Yahoo's don't get Traditional rigs.. nothing new with sails since the Bermudan came out.. just variations on a theme.
Want to learn about full running backstays.. go to Falmouth where Atolls based... or most anywhere either side of the Channel.. the French are past experts as well..
Ready about.. haul in slack as the nose starts to head the wind then ease the lee side as you bear away on the opposite tack to snug the sail just right.. don't want any chaff from a floppy stay now do we..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 07:14   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Ready about.. haul in slack as the nose starts to head the wind then ease the lee side as you bear away on the opposite tack to snug the sail just right.. don't want any chaff from a floppy stay now do we..
crap! Thats what I did wrong......

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delivery