Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 14:12   #1

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
Delivery Question (East Coast)

Hello there,

I was wondering if anyone could help me price a delivery in the near future. We are looking to have our cutter rigged 1980 Cape Dory 30' delivered from Reedville Virginia (right off of Hampton Roads) to Titusville Florida this spring. What woud be the cheapest option for us:

A) to have the boat trucked down or
B) have a delivery captain take her down?

We really want ot make the Bahamas again this upcoming spring - we just need a few more months to save up. Ohhh the poor late-20's life...

Thanks!

-Patrick
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 14:30   #2

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Moving costs about equal.

My guess is you'll find the cost about the same in the end. If you truck it you've got to include the yard bills on both ends and time / cost for de rigging, and re rigging. The qst is if you have a good captain you trust (try Jon E - constant poster on this board) and call many trucking companies for a quote.

Good Luck
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 13:41   #3

Boat: Bristol 29
Truck it. The delivery crew will break ding and gouge enough stuff onboard that you will have to do a refit in Titusville.
Old 17-11-2009, 17:06   #4

Boat: 1980 Cape Dory 30' Cutter - Swift Ranger
That's what I wanted to hear - I originally had such a huge trust issue with hiring a delivery captain. I cant even imagine the trepidation and anxiety I would face. It looks like I'll be trucking her down. By the way, Uship seems to show many boats of similar size being shipped that way for $1300, which really isn't that bad. Of course I'll have to re-step the mast but I need to rewire everything anyways.

Thanks for all the help guys,

-Patrick
PaddyoRiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2009, 18:06   #5

Boat: Looking!
I Just compleated a trip from Brunswick, Ga to Reedsville with a Boat owner/delivery Capt. I resent the remark that delivery crews will tear up a boat. He and I boath were very neat and very clean about ourselves and the boat. It is up to the boat owner to interview his crews before hireing them. I have limited experience so would not offer to sholder the delivery responsability. However I would go along as first officer. Further, If someone is telling you that he will truck a boat down from Reedsville to Titusville for 1400.00 I would look for hidden costs. There may not be any but I have 30 years of experience in OTR trucking and I would personally not consider a specialized haul for that price. Plus you have cargo insurance (check the fine print carefully) Possible permits of boat is over 8'6" beam,Mast take down, and re rigging,Fuel surcharges loading and unloading,and on and on. I don't know how boat is equipped but you may want to considering looking into both methods very carefully. If you hire a pig that's what you get, if you hire a responsable man you get personal attention and care. you may e-mail me if you like at avoisine@cox.net
Fair winds
avoisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 09:21   #6
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 44' CSY "Walkover" cutter, La Nostra
I'm surprised that more delivery people haven't jumped on that negative comment. Sure, there are guys who won't respect your property - just like there are messy housepainters, plumbers and lawyers. But I believe that overall, delivery captains are a responsible lot. I've done a few myself and have taken pride in delivering the vessels in better shape than they were in when I stepped on board. By the same token, there are also quite a few boats out there that I, personally, would not accept to deliver as they and their equipment are simply not up to the intended trip.
Like anything else, if you are hiring someone to do something for you, check them out thoroughly beforehand. Generally, ya gets what ya pays for!
Located in the Sunny Caribbean
"Life's short ... Eat dessert first!"
harryrezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 09:34   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaWriter View Post
Truck it. The delivery crew will break ding and gouge enough stuff onboard that you will have to do a refit in Titusville.
I'll treat that comment with the contempt it deserves.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyoRiley View Post
That's what I wanted to hear - I originally had such a huge trust issue with hiring a delivery captain. I cant even imagine the trepidation and anxiety I would face. It looks like I'll be trucking her down. By the way, Uship seems to show many boats of similar size being shipped that way for $1300, which really isn't that bad. Of course I'll have to re-step the mast but I need to rewire everything anyways.

Thanks for all the help guys,

-Patrick
I'd be really leery of what UShip quotes and I'd also want to look closely at who is actually doing the shipping. I looked at using that service and the service providers offered were kind of like, well, some guy with a pickup truck and a big trailer. One guy asked me how high the flying bridge was, it was clearly listed as a sailboat. Seen any flybridges on monohulls lately?

You can do a lot of damage to a sailboat on truck if it's not loaded, blocked and transported correctly. I'd be more concerned about that than what a quality delivery crew might do.
jdoe71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 10:38   #9
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Quote:

WOW!!! What a broad brush, unsupported and insulting comment.

The boats that I have delivered, power and sail, in the US and from offshore, have been turned over to the Owners in better condition than when I received them AND with a DETAILED work list of what was required to bring the vessel up to a seaman's standards.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 11:41   #10

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
I've seen too much trucking damage to enthusiastically recommend that route. Either route could be fine, but MAKE SURE you're dealing with someone you can trust and that will deliver her carefully. Shop for a good reputation, not a bargain.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 14:48   #11

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Patrick -
Plan C - Why have anybody else do anything? Hop on her yourself and head south with fresh bottom paint. With any luck at all you'll be in the Bahamas in 3 weeks even if you take your time, less if you hurry.
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2009, 15:12   #12
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Most trucking outfits I have seen have drivers with wife-beater shirts and buttcracks showing.

The cost for stepping the mast and re stepping will probably be twice what the trucking cost is.

The big question is this....Is your vessel capable of making the trip?

And keep in mind you will be paying for the delivery crews ticket home.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast