Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2014, 17:50   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Deltaville Marina Shady Dealings

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
This isn't a check...it's an online payment where he keyed in the comma instead of period. Not the bank's fault. Clearly the marina being unethical.

One more warning. Don't keep excess money in your checking account and DO NOT HAVE OVERDRAFT PROTECTION. Assuming you'd never overdraft your account then the fact there is an overdraft warns you. But if it's linked to your savings then it get's cleared.

Oh and not relevant to this case, but all bank processing is on the numeric amount as it's all scan and computer. The written is only used for verification in the event of an error or forged alteration. But in today's world, the processing is numeric. In fact, the only parts of the check used to process are the codes at the bottom and the numeric dollar amount.
spoke to my italian friend just now. it is an internet transaction. his wife made the payment, and, according to how they do it in italy, she keyed in the comma where he would have remembered to key in the decimal point. i'm just guessing that the bank of america computer 'adjusted' it to accomodate the comma, in the style an american would have written it.

kind of hard to believe because i'm sure BOA processes hundreds of thousands of european transactions every day. and yet when he shows me the numbers it is obvious, at least to me, that the comma was not interpreted correctly. so it should be a BOA problem and they should correct it, and in fact, the first time it happened, they did correct it.

ths time they decided not to. told them to go argue with the boatyard. he's in italy, so arguing ain't so simple. there's a distance and, more importantly, a language problem. the boatyard has simply decided to keep the money for the moment and make a 'good faith' return payment from time to time and in any amount they feel like returning that month.

and yes, who the hell keeps that kind of money in a working checking account unless you're in a business yourself.

so he came to america. to see his boat and try to recover his money. my brother - who speaks english and italian - is going to BOA tomorrow with him to see if he can help fix things up.

i blame BOA for not correctly translating a european coded transaction, but i blame deltaville marina for being less than honest about the error.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 18:10   #17

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
spoke to my italian friend just now. it is an internet transaction. his wife made the payment, and, according to how they do it in italy, she keyed in the comma where he would have remembered to key in the decimal point. i'm just guessing that the bank of america computer 'adjusted' it to accomodate the comma, in the style an american would have written it.

kind of hard to believe because i'm sure BOA processes hundreds of thousands of european transactions every day. and yet when he shows me the numbers it is obvious, at least to me, that the comma was not interpreted correctly. so it should be a BOA problem and they should correct it, and in fact, the first time it happened, they did correct it.

ths time they decided not to. told them to go argue with the boatyard. he's in italy, so arguing ain't so simple. there's a distance and, more importantly, a language problem. the boatyard has simply decided to keep the money for the moment and make a 'good faith' return payment from time to time and in any amount they feel like returning that month.

and yes, who the hell keeps that kind of money in a working checking account unless you're in a business yourself.

so he came to america. to see his boat and try to recover his money. my brother - who speaks english and italian - is going to BOA tomorrow with him to see if he can help fix things up.

i blame BOA for not correctly translating a european coded transaction, but i blame deltaville marina for being less than honest about the error.
BOA is US bank though and US internet site. They simply took a comma as a comma. But also the item reappears for review. Do I think they should have assisted in getting the money back? Yes, but they did one time and we don't know how much time passed this time.

I would let the boatyard know my next visit was to law enforcement if they failed to cooperate. Now of course the real problem is probably that they don't have $15,000 which also is further proof they knew exactly what was happening, that they have little enough cash in their account, the $15,000 would show up as obvious. Accepting and keeping money you know isn't yours or you're not entitled to is a crime. Might be time to engage a US attorney too. My fear is the longer it goes the less likely he'll ever see the money. In fact, they may plan right now to see if they can sneak it beyond the statute of limitations.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 12:24   #18

Do you mind telling the name of the marina involved? My boat is located at a marina in Deltaville and while I doubt if my marina is involved, I would like to be certain that they are not.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 14:38   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tucker CA41 Steel 40 foot Ketch

Quote:

BOA computer systems at fault if it allows a numeric data entry field to accept commas, Bad specification, bad programming and bad system testing.

However, also agree re the boatyard honesty. Good luck in getting the money backl
Triumphant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 14:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphant View Post
BOA computer systems at fault if it allows a numeric data entry field to accept commas, Bad specification, bad programming and bad system testing.
Actually it doesn't accept that. It just ignores a comma. So you type one in, it gets ignored, but it isn't interpreted as a period. You type 150,00 and all that shows up is 15000, which is $15,000. And, for the record, I'm not guessing this. I tested it.
Old 17-05-2014, 14:58   #21

I would never give direct access to a bank account. However, I joined a health club once that gave a discount for auto payment on the Credit Card. After quitting it took 1.5 years to get the deduction stopped. I never got the money back as the CC company said I had authorized it. But the State attorney General got them to stop taking the money.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 15:18   #22

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx

Please PM me with the name of the marina, as my vessel is there.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2014, 18:32   #23

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
the name is Deltaville Marina, in deltaville virginia.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 12:56   #24

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxuxx View Post
You don't know the name of the marina your vessel is located in?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 13:10   #25

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
You don't know the name of the marina your vessel is located in?

Mark
You don't know what a dangling modifier is?
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 13:14   #26
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
I don't believe thats a dangling modifier

"Turning the corner, a handsome school building appeared."

Who performed the Turning?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 13:24   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
I don't believe thats a dangling modifier

"Turning the corner, a handsome school building appeared."

Who performed the Turning?
Wifey B: And who calls a school building handsome?
Old 21-05-2014, 13:29   #28
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: And who calls a school building handsome?
Thats !
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 13:30   #29
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
the name is Deltaville Marina, in deltaville virginia.
Deltaville Marina has been around since I was a kid (that's a loooooooooong time!) I've done business with them in the recent past and enjoyed a very professional, businesslike and friendly relationship with them. Maybe owners have changed and their practices have changed, I don't know, but I'd really hesitate to jump to the conclusion that they're engaging in "shady dealings" from the sparse evidence in this thread.
Old 21-05-2014, 15:14   #30

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Sure, but it still doesn't make sense written elsewise: "my vessel is located at that marina. Please PM me with the name of the marina".

BTW, I don't think the original is a dangling modifier.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
delta