Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2016, 17:04   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Diesel fuel additive?

Diesel fuel additive...? Which one have you decided is the best? Why? How many others have you tried? I'd like to start a 'additive regimen" on our new to us 1987 Irwin 43 and prefer to learn from your experience...the manufacturers all think their product is the best...
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 22:15   #2
er9
cruiser

Boat: 1980 (Canning) Mariner36
Re: Diesel fuel additive?

I have used Seafoam in my car, truck and motorcycle for years with excellent results. Going to use it in my diesel for first time. Hoping it works as well. It can be used as a fuel stabilizer/cleaner although i mainly have used it every 500-1k miles as a cleaner. Its the one I settled on years ago after much research. It worked so well I never bothered to try any others.
er9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 22:31   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Marine 16 is popular this side of the pond after a good write up in a PBO some years ago. Interestingly our local marina supplies all diesel with Soltron already added.

The problem I have is that there is no real way for the average yachtie to prove or disprove it works or if one is the best.

What I would suggest if this boat is new to you, is open up the fuel tank and have a look inside. If its spotless great, just keep it that way with a good dose of something. If its a mess and probably is, clean it out first then treat the fuel going forwards.

We sailed for 6 years without any signs or problems before curiosity got the better of me and I looked inside the tank. No amount of additive or filtering would remove the mess from the previous 26 years of use. A leaky fuel filler cap o ring the primary suspect allowing small quantities of water inside. Time and bug did the rest.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2016, 23:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

We use whatever additive we can that specifically states it is for lubricity. Our Cummins was smoking a bit and had sticking valves (thus the smoking) from low sulfur diesel. An additive for lubricity ended the smoking and increased our fuel mileage. We just purchase whatever the NAPA store sells --sorry, no brand info but it works great for our purposes.
Old 30-03-2016, 00:23   #5

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Fuel Right
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 03:28   #6

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Google "Diesel Fuel Lubricity Additives Study Results" by Arlen Spicer, August 2007. Originally published on The Diesel Place, I think. It's dated a bit, now, of course; don't know if there's been an update anywhere..

One factoid I noticed is that ValvTect had a product named Diesel Guard that didn't fare particularly well in the tests, and sometime later they introduced a newer one called Diesel Guard Plus 6 (or some such). Don't know whether the new one speaks to better lubricity, whether cause-and-effect or not, though...

-Chris
Old 30-03-2016, 04:53   #7

Boat: Currently boatless

What is your objective? If it's to prevent the growth of micro-organisms causing sludge, I've had success with FPPF Killem. As far as I know, that's the only biocide approved by Yanmar.
Old 30-03-2016, 04:56   #8

Go here... Marine Systems Excellence Ezine | Steve D'Antonio Marine Consulting

Read his writeups on Diesel Fuel Additives, Part 1 and Part 2.

The main thing that you need to decide first is, what are you trying to achieve? Why do you think that you need any additives at all? Having people suggest random additives, without understanding the what and why of it, is kind of pointless.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43

Leaning heavily towards the FPPF product line for biocide, water dispersion, lubricity and stabilization. PO installed a new Yanmar 4JH4-TE and Mack Boring says FPPF is the product that won't void their warranty. Thanks Ziggy.
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 06:16   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Many years ago when I was still trucking it was suggested by the owner of a diesel injector rebuild shop to use plain old outboard 2 cycle oil to increase lubricity and raise cetane levels . At a rate of about 500:1 well it worked wonders. Also he suggested md4 tranny fluid every few months to clean the injectors just add a pint or so per 50 gallons in the tank also worked wonders .
As an aside here is a link to the blind study mentioned earlier .
Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums
Old 30-03-2016, 09:31   #11
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Many years ago when I was still trucking it was suggested by the owner of a diesel injector rebuild shop to use plain old outboard 2 cycle oil to increase lubricity and raise cetane levels . At a rate of about 500:1 well it worked wonders. Also he suggested md4 tranny fluid every few months to clean the injectors just add a pint or so per 50 gallons in the tank also worked wonders .

As an aside here is a link to the blind study mentioned earlier .

Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

Was the 'many years ago' before or after the low sulfur fuel requirements were implemented?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 30-03-2016, 09:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
Was the 'many years ago' before or after the low sulfur fuel requirements were implemented?

After the ulsd screwup (broke back in 08 falling off trailer)
Old 30-03-2016, 09:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
After the ulsd screwup (broke back in 08 falling off trailer)

Lol. We have different ideas of 'many'. 08 is 'a few' years ago in my timeline, 1998 would be 'several' years ago...whereas 1988 would be 'many' years ago. 😚

Old 30-03-2016, 10:19   #14

Ha! 1988 was when my daughter was born. I don't consider that very many years ago!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 18:11   #15

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by malyea View Post
Leaning heavily towards the FPPF product line for biocide, water dispersion, lubricity and stabilization. PO installed a new Yanmar 4JH4-TE and Mack Boring says FPPF is the product that won't void their warranty. Thanks Ziggy.
I think there's a good case to be made for biocide, but I'm not convinced there is a need for fuel conditioning additives in an engine that's in reasonably good condition in the U.S. In particular, rather than rely on additives that purport to disperse water, I'd make sure to have a good water separating primary filter and check it regularly.

Tags
diesel, fuel