Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 08:56   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Re: Dinghy - on blocks or upside down?

I have not read the other replys but we just traded in a 2 month old AB Lammina 9AL... we had a Yamaha 9.9 on it and were surprised it took a while to plane with our combined 280 lbs and a 15 lb dog with its relatively deep vee, it tracked like a beagle after a rabbit, put on 4 times the miles of the sailboat it was tether to, whether 1,2,3 or 4 waves behind. There was no place to put a passengers feet, let alone a couple of bags of groceries with the gas tank. We traded for the AB Lammina 9.5 with shallower vee, tank in the forward locker and slightly larger tubes. If you can test each we recommend you do. We initially went for the shorter size to put on deck and slightly lighter weight but after experiencing both urge you to consider the 9.5.
Pearly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 07:27   #17

Boat: Hanse 505

After much consideration and listening to you all I finally pulled the trigger on a Lammina 9.5 AL with bow locker and a Yamaha F9.9 (4S). I'm having a s/s crane made to hoist the outboard onto the (reinforced) pushpit. And I will start out with having the dinghy live on the foredeck bottoms up on my Oceanis 46. I like the idea of not having to take the fuel tank out of the bow locker when you put it on chocks though, but let's see. Thanks all for your input. I'll let you know how things go when I receive everything in spring.

Cheers!
N4585K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 19:06   #18

Boat: O'Day 40

https://tenderconnect.eu/product-cat...ct-en/?lang=en

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this to carry a Highfield UL260.

Anyone have it?

Anyone see any negatives?
Old 11-03-2019, 22:38   #19

Boat: Volkscruiser

There is another thread that asks a similar question
Big enough boat to carry a hard dink or rib.
I am going to try upright for a while, after I squashed the wife’s finger turning the dinghy over.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 23:44   #20

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

We have a 53' Amel and all alu dinghy (same setup as delos) except we carry ours keel up instead of in chocks. Lashed down tight. I know those guys have been all over the world with that dinghy in chocks, but they I can't figure out how it hasn't washed off there. Couple winter storms here in the Med would've washed it right off like that, green water all over it. I get the convenience of lifting with the OB attached, but still, no way.

Might be kind of hard to picture but to get the (rather heavy) solid dinghy up and oriented is a piece of cake: We have a line permanently attached from the starboard stern to the bow of it, with an alpine butterfly loop at the balance point... Hook a halyard (with a few meter extension) to it in the water, back to electric winch. Painter thru a removable block snapped to the pullpit to keep control in wind. It lifts up smartly on it's side, comes up and over, and then we lower it still on it's same side and tip it over upside down. Takes zero effort. Launching it is just as easy in reverse. OB is on pushpit with davit, but before that another halyard off the mizzen was a 2 minute job as well.

We can get boat and OB on in about 7 minutes start to finish (our record). No need for chocks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190122_111930-01.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	422.3 KB
ID:	187824  
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 00:06   #21

Boat: Outbound 44

One other consideration with these AB aluminum bottoms, you want the area between the bottom and the tubes to dry out to reduce corrosion. So keeping it bottom up is better.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy