Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2023, 07:54   #1

Dinghy Outboard Question

I'm sure there's a simple answer, but it's not obvious to me. Recently acquired a dinghy with a Mercury 15hp outboard. My problem is that it has a center console control setup and I have no idea how to disconnect the cables in order to remove engine from dinghy. I've been all over the web and can't find the answer. Follow up question is should I just remove the center console and install a tiller on the engine? Seems much simpler and I'm not sure the center console provides many benefits.
Jimmyb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:16   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Dinghy Outboard Question

The throttle and shift cables are fairly standard and usually disconnect inside the outboard. So you remove the outboard's cover, and then there's a cotter pin you pull off the end of the cable, and a clamp for the cable sleeve that the cable will either snap out of or that has a locking bolt to unscrew. You end up doing that for both the throttle and shift cable.

Steering usually ends outside the outboard. Disconnect means vary.

I have a deep dislike of center consoles on smaller boats -- they're a waste of space and weight. Switching an outboard from remote control to tiller (or vice versa) is not straightforward. There are no kits so you have to look at the parts list and try to auger what it is you need and how it attaches. Your best move may be to sell the entire dinghy and buy one set up the way you want it.

Tags
dinghy, outboard