Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2008, 08:33   #16
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
Mark, Can you tell us which countries don't want or have regulations against having holding tanks?
St Martin in the Carabbean was where the discussion started with sentiments like "no country south of the USA". We never cruised to other countries there but Hud should be able to confirm for other Caribbean countries. I never saw a pump out station there, nor anywhere till we arrived in Australia. Even told firmly to throw all food scraps overboard in an enclosed port in the pacific as no green wasted would be disposed of ashore (I wont mention where for a reason).

Its weird that there is such a disparity of thought, but when you wonder what must be in holding tank treatments you wonder who is right. I don't want to go boating where stuff is floating, but also I don't want 80 litres of chemicaly treated stuff to be dumped a mile off shore either.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 18-12-2008, 09:07   #17
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Is the discharge of my waste overboard morally the correct thing to do?
probably not ... but then again consider last year's leak of 20 million gallons of raw sewage into the intracoastal waterway near my home due to a pipe break. and this is only what was reported!! i have to wonder how many times this has been repeated across the country? just sayin.
Old 18-12-2008, 10:35   #18

Boat: Bristol 38.8
The best solution (morally and otherwise) is a holding tank for no discharge zones and a macerator for everywhere else.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:09   #19
Back to the game

Boat: Pearson Countess 44 wannabe
gringos have laws for everything but they do not comply unless law enforcement agencies are on top.
Old 18-12-2008, 11:19   #20
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soft Air View Post
gringos have laws for everything but they do not comply unless law enforcement agencies are on top.

I think that applies to most of mankind. Not just GREEN GOES!!!!!!
Old 18-12-2008, 13:15   #21

Boat: S M Hudson 60' narrowboat
Send a message via Skype™ to richardhula
Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Regardless of what the regulations may be, and in consideration of all the environmental pressures on the worlds oceans and water ways, the more important question should be "Is the discharge of my waste overboard morally the correct thing to do?"
Interested to know what peoples views are on this subject when spending extended time cruising and at anchor off mainland shores. However big, where are you going to empty your holding tank outside the US?

Regards

If in doubt RTFM
Old 18-12-2008, 13:27   #22

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
This has become WAY too complicated. Just answer this question; would you mind if ALL the boats (sometimes hundreds) in your favorite tropical paradise flushed their heads into the anchorage? Is that really the way you want to live, or would you just do it because you could get away with it? Way back, when there were less than 50 boat circling the world at any time, I guess it would have been OK. Those days are long gone. If you are truly cruising, it shouldn't be that hard to get out there past the 3 mile limit and dump your tank...Oh, and by the way...I don't use chemicals in my holding tank. If ya need 'em, your tank is probably installed slightly wrong.

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Old 18-12-2008, 13:30   #23

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
the best system is one that flushes all waste into the holding tank with no overboard discharge from the head. The tank is then connected to both deck pump out and to a macerator that will empty the tank when off shore and when no pump outs are available. That way you are not tempted to dump your sewage then go swimming in that same water that afternoon. Anchoring off mainland shores are not an issue if this is not a beach or area that the public or myself uses. A believe that the sewage that is dumped by cruisers is only a minute amount of negative influence to the environment. But I would not want to swim where I dump nor dump where someone else might use the water and the system I describe is not intrusive and solves all of these issues. It is not dependant on the availability of pump outs or anything else.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-12-2008, 13:36   #24

Chuck has it NAILED! I second that description of the best system. Just leave enough length on the connection hoses that if, God forbid, the macerator ever failed during a cruise you could swap in your manual bilge pump and empty your tank. My system uses the Whale Gulper toilet pump...

Old 18-12-2008, 13:42   #25

Christian, A sized manual pump instead of a macerator will work with the system just fine but I am getting lazy in my later years. We had a Targa 32 once upon a time set up this way with a manual pump.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-12-2008, 14:38   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
This has become WAY too complicated. Just answer this question; would you mind if ALL the boats (sometimes hundreds) in your favorite tropical paradise flushed their heads into the anchorage?.

What do you think is happening every day in the BVI?
Old 18-12-2008, 14:44   #27
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
The truth of the matter is that direct discharge happens. It would be great if all boats had a holding tank and only flushed it offshore between islands, but that doesn't happen. There are no pump-out facilities in the islands that I know of.
Old 18-12-2008, 14:46   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Whats your point? Are you suggesting I go along with that, that it's right, or that it is happening? I'll stick with the way I operate. Change starts at home.

Old 18-12-2008, 14:51   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post

That does not mean it should or that there is nothing that can be done about it. Change starts with one person at a time.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-12-2008, 14:55   #30

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

WRT the Bahamas,

In spite of the majority of the posts thus far, you will have trouble finding any place to pump out unless you are doing a tour of the most expensive marinas (even then, some that advertise may not have working facilities).

Funny, on internet chat boards most folks are against at the idea of overboard discharge... when you are out cruising most folks don't seem quite so passionate. Might be a bit of a 'do as I say, not as I do' issue.
Closed Thread