Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2008, 21:46   #1

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
Discretion is the better part of valor

Ok, made an unpopular call earlier today, and took some heat for it, but in the interest of those in a similar situation, figured would post it here. Was scheduled to do the lighted boat parade, all decked out, and ready to go, and kept watching the winds and weather, and decided to cancel when the conditions just didnt seem right. We are in a 52ft irwin, slow and sure, but it hates cross winds when docking. Well tonight, winds decided to pick 10-15 with gusts over 20. Weather forcasts all day kept saying 5-10 towards evening.. right... well at show time gusts to 23 and sustained at 16. Doable? Yes. Would it have been fun? No. It is one thing to be out and have to do that coming back in, but I feel that going out and having to get beat up coming back in just doesnt warrent it. Well one of the smaller Hunters did go out and told 3 tries and a little teak to be put to bed afterwords... So right call in my book. Discretion is the better part of valor, and there is always next year. How many of you would have done it anyways? And no, not second guessing my choice, learned long ago, if it doesnt feel right, it usually isnt.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 23:47   #2

Boat: Catalina C250, SeaWolf
When your local marina newspaper comes out, you'll probably read about others that were smart and stayed in, and others that bowed to pressure and went out and will be touching up their gelcoat next weekend.

Good Call.
ajman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2008, 23:53   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Thumbs up Good for you!

It good to see that some people follow their conscience of safety. Sometimes a mans pride will get in the way of reasoning.

I'm sure the boat was just as perddy at the dock as out on the water.

BTW I've been trying to make out your Avatar.
................................._/)
Old 14-12-2008, 00:33   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
BTW I've been trying to make out your [Tampabayfireman] Avatar.
In the words of Opus' creator, Berkeley Breathed:

"Opus is napping. He sleeps in peace, dreaming of a world just ahead brimming with kindness and grace and ubiquitous bow ties.

"Please don't mourn him. He lives in all my childrens' stories, if you look. I hope to meet you again there.

"Thank you, truly, for coming along on Opus' twenty-eight year journey."

TaoJones
Old 14-12-2008, 00:34   #5
Kai Nui

I would never have gone out for a parade. A prudent sailor does not risk his vessel without sound reason. A parade is not sound reason. Good call.
Old 14-12-2008, 01:15   #6

Boat: Beneteau 473
Probably a Good call not going out for the sake of the boat but you also have to wonder how much fun it would really be. I have participated in several boat parades over the last 35 years as captain and passenger and when the weather is bad (high wind, light rain what have you) its never any fun. If you are like us we always serve food while the boat is underway and try to make it a festive event in the spirit of the season. High gusting winds have resulted in food on the deck, most participants staying below, near child overboard and then of course, the docking drama to cap the evening. A time when you want everyone to stay below except for a few chosen hands to fend off boats and other solid objects, lasso pilings or generally do whatever they can to get the boat secure. It often makes for a stressful end to an otherwise happy night .
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote