Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2017, 20:14   #16

Boat: Formosa 41
Re: Do I Look Pretty? Or Are You Lonely?

I just figure they want to hear loud sex.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 21:35   #17

Boat: Hunter 28.5 1985

Now, jump in here if I don't seem to be remembering this correctly but....
back in commercial dive school... there was a tool you could use to help a boat sorta... settle into place. You know... something you could use to keep control of that nasty lateral drift?
OH! Here's a picture of it!
Sure.... you're probably thinking it has limited uses, and yeah the tool itself is a bit bulky not to mention the hydraulic hoses and surface equipment to make it run... but sometimes job satisfaction weighs in more important than inconvenience!
Don't ya think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-02-23 at 9.28.45 PM.png
Views:	221
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	141868  
wsmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 00:54   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Time to walk around the deck naked and relieve yourself over the starboard side.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 01:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Time to walk around the deck naked and relieve yourself over the starboard side.
You beat me to it. BTW, works like a charm every time.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 02:22   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
I believe polite communication serves us all best. Don't wait for near collision. Go talk to your neighbor and explain why you're uncomfortable with his (or her) choice of anchorage, and the longstanding protocol of first come, work around me. It's a chance to educate, and he may just thank you for it and ask for your recommendation of a better spot. Why eat YOUR stomach lining? Worst case, he'll be an arrogant jerk and you'll have to move. Get it over with and behind you, you'll feel better.
That's good advice!

And in fact you might even consider skipping the first step, and just move yourself. Problem solved, and cocktail hour will come that much earlier.

If I hated the process of anchoring, I don't think I would be out cruising at all. Is it such a big deal, to haul up the anchor and do it again?

Another way to deal with the problem is described here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ain-86277.html

From the other point of view, but some useful lessons nonetheless.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 02:33   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Had a crew member like that who thought he was Gods gift to sailing. I'd ask him to drive up to a spot well away from others but he just couldn't do it. Every time I let him drive the boat in any anchorage, we would end up too close to someone.
Human nature. When in doubt, do the same as what everyone else is doing. Probably works most of the time, so probably has a sound basis in evolution.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 03:20   #22

Boat: no boat any more

"...Had that happen to me ONCE..." - lucky you!!!
double u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 05:36   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
No? Then why the #%^* you gotta come in here and anchor all up right next to me?
for your protection
Old 24-02-2017, 05:46   #24

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Had a similar incident with nobody else in the cove and a singlehanded sailboat drops right next to us. We were thinking he wanted us to ask him over for happy hour or some other interaction, but when it was clear we weren't interested, he fired up the outside genny and went below to watch a movie. No sitting outside in the cockpit to enjoy the evening with that noise going on.

We contemplated moving the next day, but luckily he moved on and all was good again.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 06:22   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd just move, it happens to me every now and again, where I usually anchor on weekends is out by myself. I see a larger powerboat like that, you can usually bet there is a generator too. I have one but am loathe to run the thing.
I don't know why people will do that, I assume they think you have found the best place to anchor? But again, just move, and hopefully they will learn when they see you drop anchor 100 yds away
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 07:13   #26

Boat: Pearson 34-II

D,
Welcome to "cruising???" We have found a successful tactic that has ensured our privacy for over 30 years: 1.)avoid traditional anchorages whenever possible and 2.) anchor on the fringes whenever the weather is stable and unthreatening. In most cases, cruisers will anchor where they see other cruisers at anchor or whenever it is a recommended anchorage in a cruising guide. A careful look at a chart will reveal many safe and secure potential anchorages that, for whatever reason, have not been deemed suitable by the anchorage gods. Secondly, if there are no suitable options other than the charted anchorage, stay away from the crowd and rather than anchoring in 10 feet of water with the bellowing herd, anchor in 20 feet of water in peace and privacy. A final option is to visit areas that the herd avoids where the prospects for socialization are minimal to non-existent: Andros, Bahamas; Cay Sal Bank, Bahamas; Ragged Islands, Bahamas; SW Florida mangrove keys; Florida Bay Keys; Bahamas Out Islands, etc. Avoid the Exumas at all costs unless you are a dedicated fan of Barnum and Bailey or Ringmaster Ned. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:22   #27

Boat: Nonsuch 30

If he was French he would be a lot closer.
Old 24-02-2017, 07:50   #28

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
The first morning after I moved on our boat, I was sitting in the companionway drinking a coffee. The guy in the neighboring slip walked out and took a leak off his swim platform. He never noticed me. We were the only liveaboards on that dock, I guess he got used to the privacy. There were others a couple hundred feet away, and condos a little further. Guess he was trying to get rid of all of us.
Old 24-02-2017, 08:01   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
The first morning after I moved on our boat, I was sitting in the companionway drinking a coffee. The guy in the neighboring slip walked out and took a leak off his swim platform. He never noticed me. We were the only liveaboards on that dock, I guess he got used to the privacy. There were others a couple hundred feet away, and condos a little further. Guess he was trying to get rid of all of us.

Reminds me, a friend had a small hot air balloon and was flying it early one Texas morning and floated over some Mansion, the owner was outside by the pool drinking coffee, he had to fire the burner as the balloon was descending and that thing honest to God sounds like a dragon or something. So before he was going to fire it, he said "Good Morning"
I guess the voice of God just over his head speaking to him was more than the poor guy could take, he spilled his coffee and almost fell out of the lawn chair.
Sometimes when your sure your alone, your not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2017, 08:29   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JstaRebel View Post
This time of year, I have the same issue with the "Weekend Warriors" that come over from SXM and anchor in Road Bay Anguilla. .
I had one of the rental cats come next to me while we were on our mooring in road bay, they were laying out rode and backing right next to me. I immediately screamed "too close" and they were shocked but moved. I'm not trying to make friends.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote