Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2008, 17:25   #16

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Do US Brokers lie about whats in stock?
In my country (the US of A) we have an expression "Buyer Be Where". Or you can blame George Bush .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 17:37   #17
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
In Miami, I tend to measure the value of a broker inversely by the amount of gold chain and hardware he carries on his body.

Seriously, as Alan exemplifies, finding a broker who still loves boats and can remember the dream are the people we need to support.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 17:51   #18

Boat: Lotus 10.6
I wondered why Alan was making some moldings to cast a solid gold Rockcopyna anchor and had asked me where he could buy gold coated 10mm chain?
Quote:
I tend to measure the value of a broker inversely by the amount of gold chain and hardware he carries on his body.
Old 12-01-2008, 17:55   #19

Quote:
Secondly, I work for both parties.
Hey Alan, might pay to delete that one. In NZ when you sign up a vendor you have contracted to them (he pays your commission) and you have a fudiciary relationship to act in his best interests. Not the interests of the buyer. You cannot lie to the buyer or make misleading statements but you definitely have to work for your principal only. He is the customer.
Old 12-01-2008, 18:26   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Secondly, I work for both parties.
Any deal that closes pays!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 18:49   #21

yes but you sign a listing contract in NZ and are contracted to the owner, not the buyer. You are working for his interests (legally even before your own!)
Old 12-01-2008, 19:15   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
While Darryl is correct, that doesn't mean I have to lie, cheat, hide or mislead to sell for my owner.
My first priority is to understand what the buyer wants (Even if he doesn't know) and try and find a vessel that fits his needs and wants. That is the first hurdle that trips up most Vendors. They don't listen. Or if they have no love of boats, they don't understand what they are hearing from the buyer.
Secondly, to remove as many obsticles as possible. Actually, Darryl and I are discussing by Email a situation at the mo. I am trying to find a boat for a friend of his. I want to make it as simple for his friend as I can. I know all the requirements his friend is asking for. Now I do believe this maybe where most others would say wrong! I am happy to find a boat for this buyer even if I don't make a sale. And I have already sent the guy a link to what I think is a real steal and exactly what he wants to find. The large majority of brokers will not do that. They will act as if all other boats in the country for sale, simply don't exist. What I do hope by doing this, is that the buyer will not forget what I did. I hope the couple become good friends. Just like all of Darryl and Paula's other friends we get to meet. This boat is a stepping stone and one day they may want something bigger. I hope I am still selling when that day comes. I am not in this just for the bucks.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:28   #23

....hey wheels got any spare tyres ?..... ; )
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:32   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I'm glad there doesnt appear anything systemic in the thought that there are fantom listings of boats.

I did get a bit worried because the thought was echoed when I spoke to a US broker a few weeks ago and he said there wasn't much on his books... and I didn't say "well, whats all the stuff thats on the net on your site".

So now I've read this article and listened to you, I will ring on monday and ask a few suplimentary questions

A few weeks on a fact finding mission to florida sounds nice... as long as you lot learn wich side of the road to drive on!

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 19:59   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mark, make sure you take a good look around Oz and NZ. Unless you are wanting to start a trip over in the US of course. But a lot of boats end their world journeys in our two countries. I commonly come across yachts...I mean sailboats that are all up to spec with Cat1, either just come home from a long trip, or arrived here from the US. It is how all these US boats end up down here. Our office has boats listed that are in Europe, Asia and the Islands. Plus new boats from all over including the US. So both our countries are well worth a damn good look at.

Old 12-01-2008, 21:36   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Thanks Alan, I'll do that
Old 12-01-2008, 22:04   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Reading between the lines...

If I may be excused for reading between the lines is it possible that you are seeking a long distance bargain?

As an example:-
Beneteau 361s list from $US65k to $US150k in the US.
The same boat in Australia lists at $US190.

If you sent an email to a broker in the US about a $65k boat that had just been sold by a competitor he may not really be in the mood to spend the time to write an email.

If I may be so bold as to suggest the telephonic apparatus. Phone cards are available that quote rates to the US at a few cents a minute.

Brokers are mostly people persons (some cannot even spell ) so emails may be total torture. They spend their lives on the phone.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 22:27   #28
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
If I may be excused for reading between the lines is it possible that you are seeking a long distance bargain?
Yeah! I'm not writing the post for the health benifits to my fingers! ( the 2 that I type with)
I'm heading out with the girly-whirly-female-shelia-cobber-digger-mate who refuses point blank to go up the Red Sea on account of head winds and pirates and refuses to go via the Cape because of headwinds and Cricketers, so we wanna buy a boat in the USA or nearby and sail it to Europe via the Azores (because she thinks it sounds romanitc).

The only amount of dollars saved in buying in the USA is the freight of a yacht which you so interestingly hit on the head for a 36-40 footer being about $50,000.
So yes theres a savings in that end. However theres lots of money to be deducted in the international search. Short term accomodation can never be cheap and the couple in Cruising Helmsmans article went to 6 or more different countries on their search! Knock up the airfare and accomodation for that and the $50k gets nibbled into (then GST when you get home etc).

So yes, I'm looking for a LDLA (Long Distance Love Affair) but I don't want to lob into the USofA to have smiling broker say: "Hi, sorry but that boat doesnt exist, now if you have an extra $50k I can do you this one...."

In all: I'm not looking for a bargain. I'm looking for a good boat at a good price that won't sink in the bay after the cheque clears And I'm not looking for a fixer-upper either (no disrespect to you on your fine job!)

To make matters worse I won't know for a while how much I will have in kitty to splash out!

Mark

PS That thunderstorm half an hour ago was so lame, wasnt it?!
Old 12-01-2008, 23:41   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm heading out with the girly-whirly-female-shelia-cobber-digger-mate who refuses point blank to go up the Red Sea on account of head winds and pirates and refuses to go via the Cape because of headwinds and Cricketers, so we wanna buy a boat in the USA or nearby and sail it to Europe via the Azores (because she thinks it sounds romanitc).
I think I married her older sister.

Here's a thought. There are plenty of members here I ahve gotten to know real well over the years. I could PM you with some names you could trust asking. I would find a boat advertised and then pay one of our members to go take a look for you and see if it is all that is advertised. I am sure expenses and a small reward would be all that would be required. I know of one or two building their own boats that would be welcome of a few extra bucks.

Old 13-01-2008, 00:18   #30
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I would find a boat advertised and then pay one of our members to go take a look for you and see if it is all that is advertised. .
Sounds like a fine idea to me I'm thinking of that Florida area thats meant to be full of suitable boats owners are falling over to slash prices on

I'd really appreciate any help.

Mark