Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2008, 00:30   #31

Boat: Lotus 10.6
Quote:
I would find a boat advertised and then pay one of our members to go take a look for you
Did you just win the lotto? Will you pay for me too Alan? or was that a typo
Old 13-01-2008, 00:53   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Sorry, that's a figure of speach. I was meaning, "if I were Mark". I would like to think I am a generous sort of guy, but I do draw a limit. Or more honestly, my bank account draws the limit.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 02:33   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
How much ice would you like with your cold water, Sir?

Having been overseas a few times myself I have some idea of just how difficult it is to do a major financial transaction in another culture.

What would make life really good for you is to find a few reliable buyers' brokers, one in each major area. The members of this forum may be able to help in this regard.

Once you have a few prospects lined up fly over and meet the brokers and look at the boats. I am assuming that you have a job that you don't want to leave until the last moment.

Do this a few times and eventually you could end up with a broker who you trust and who understands what you want.

At some point the stars will mostly align, fly over, pick up the boat and sail off into the sunset.

It's got to be better than spending a couple of years slaving over a steel boat.

Nothing worse than a distant thunderstorm that makes you close the windows and then only delivers hot humid air.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 03:40   #34
cruiser

Chuck's got it right... and why wouldn't he, having owned a brokerage?

In my recent experiences with brokers in the US, I found some out of date listings, but if I inquired about one, it was usually expunged soon after my inquiry.

The cause?

Brokers put communication and the sales process with hot leads ahead of administrative work, as good sales people should.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
as the owner of a Brokerage for many years in the Annapolis area I have never heard of any of these practices. we dealt with many more tire kickers than serious buyers but treated them all the same because you just never knew when that tire kicker turned the corner and became a serious buyer. I personally sold a few under those circumstances. I had a few customers that I showed boats to every weekend for YEARS and guess what? More than a few eventually bought. Boats are like real estate in that they are multi listed and can be sold by any broker. If I have 30 boats in my listings and none fit your needs I either tell you to see me later or explore listings other than mine. Guess what I and most other brokers I have known will do? I worked with virtually EVERY brokerage firm in Maryland and a few in New York and Virginia and I can tell you for absolute certain that these practices were not part of doing business. Don't believe everything you read in the media. There job is to sell copy and not necessarily tell the truth. Sure there are bad and shady brokers. There are shady real estate people and politicians. I will probably get a PM for that. The shady ones don't last long because the word gets out quickly and the other brokers cut you off. Then you are out of business.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 08:08   #35

Yacht brokers are the seagoing equivalent of used car salesmen. That they lie is a given. cavaet emptor!
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 09:42   #36

Mark, since this is an international forum you may want to ask if some US sailors would be willing to take a look at boats that interest you. I would be willing to help out if you are interested in something around the Great Lakes. A digital camera is a wonderful tool and the plastic end of a screw driver is not a bad way to tap the hull and deck for delam. Certainly that is not a substition for a full on hull, engine, rigging survey but it may save a trip if photos show the boat is not what it is advertised as.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 10:30   #37

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsalt_1942 View Post
Yacht brokers are the seagoing equivalent of used car salesmen. That they lie is a given. cavaet emptor!
I am sure I do and Wheels may very well also take offense at that.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 10:36   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Baier View Post
I am sure I do and Wheels may very well also take offense at that.
I've dealt with brokers in France and Spain as well as the US and am speaking from my own personal experience of 30+ years in the marine business. To quote one of the engineers from Sparkman and Stephens way back in the early 90s "we have brokers in our company and like everywhere they're all whores."

But as I said, I'm only speaking from personal experience. I'm sure there are nice brokers out there just like not all pit bulls are killers.
oldsalt_1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 13:21   #39
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
I would be willing to help out if you are interested in something around the Great Lakes. .
I'd love that if one came up in that area.
I've already taken a boat from Muskeogan in Lake Michigan to Nova Scotia and I dont' have to tell you thats one of the most beautiful cruises in the whole world.
I would do it again anyday!
Every cruiser should take a summer to slip up the lakes.
coming out probably to most awe inspiring site was going into the locks above Montreal on the St. Lawrence river when the yacht feels like its in the air high above this huge lake and seeing the city of Montreal in the far distance on the other side.

next time I want to go up the lakes and down the Missisippi
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2008, 22:14   #40
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Quote:
That they lie is a given.
Like Chuck, I do take offence at that. That's a cheap shot and shouldn't have been said.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote