Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you ever anchor "backwards" for comfort?
Yes 10 18.18%
No 22 40.00%
Sometimes 11 20.00%
I might try it now 11 20.00%
That's the most silly thing I've ever heard of. 1 1.82%
Exceptionally pedantic answer. I don't like the poll options. 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2022, 00:37   #31

Boat: Amigo 40, 31ft double ender
Re: Do you ever anchor, backwards!?

As several here have mentioned, this is a pretty common way of anchoring in the Baltic Sea (no tides, rocky shores). Explains why boats with a full keel and a cutaway forefoot are so popular here.

As a matter of fact, we’re anchored with a stern anchor and shore lines from the bow right now in the Swedish archipelago:

We have dedicated aft anchor for this: a 15kg Bruce hanging from our pushpit (our old bower that we switched to aft when we upgraded to a Vulcan). 5m of 8mm chain, and 45m of webbing on a reel. When approaching the chosen rock, drop the anchor and let the reel play out. Then set and tighten when close enough, and jump to the shore with the bow lines.

Here’s a picture from above from couple of days ago that might also help to show how it works:

bergius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 03:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Thank you Atcowboy, very nice piece of kit but not inspired to the tune of
$800 + so its to the drawing board for me. Will share if come up with anything
presentable. (which is not always the case with me!)
Their stuff is absurdly expensive, hence the "inspiration" .

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 03:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergius View Post
As several here have mentioned, this is a pretty common way of anchoring in the Baltic Sea (no tides, rocky shores). Explains why boats with a full keel and a cutaway forefoot are so popular here.

As a matter of fact, we’re anchored with a stern anchor and shore lines from the bow right now in the Swedish archipelago:

We have dedicated aft anchor for this: a 15kg Bruce hanging from our pushpit (our old bower that we switched to aft when we upgraded to a Vulcan). 5m of 8mm chain, and 45m of webbing on a reel. When approaching the chosen rock, drop the anchor and let the reel play out. Then set and tighten when close enough, and jump to the shore with the bow lines.

Here’s a picture from above from couple of days ago that might also help to show how it works:

What a beautiful location and boat. It seems like webbing stern rode is popular over there. I have never seen it once on the east coast of the USA.

- AT
Old 20-05-2022, 06:32   #34

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Occasionally, when at a beach with a gentle breeze from shore, we use an 8 lb Danforth to hold the stern toward the beach so we can wade to shore. I would never consider stern anchoring for overnight or anytime when the air is more than light.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 06:38   #35

Boat: currently boatless and looking

So if you stern anchor and unfurl a bit of genny...does it behave like a riding sail?
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 06:47   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxIslander View Post
So if you stern anchor and unfurl a bit of genny...does it behave like a riding sail?
I'm not sure, I have Hank on sails. But my boat definitely doesn't hunt when stern anchored.

- AT
Old 20-05-2022, 06:56   #37

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Not voluntarily, but wind/ current conditions sometimes put me stern to the wind
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 07:28   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yes, I have a few times.

a. The boat yaws less. Of course, a multihull with a good bridle barely yaws, so that isn't a reason for me.

b. Improved ventilation in light winds. I have found this is not really true on many boats, because the ventilation was designed for wind from the front. Depends on the boat.

c. Bad if the wind picks up at all. Too much wind in the cockpit and companionway. Spray can be a problem. The boat does not ride the waves as well because it is not shaped to take them stern-on. Noisy and jerky.

d. Horrible if it rains. A funnel into the saloon. Really horrible.

e. The windlass and lockers are at the other end. You could design for both, but the bower anchor will always be kept at the bow.

So after a few tries, at least one on each boat I have owned, I never went back to it. I won't need to try it on the next boat, because for me, everything is worse.
Old 20-05-2022, 07:30   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxIslander View Post

Anchored by the stern you won't need a riding sail.

And no, it does not, for a number of reasons.
Old 20-05-2022, 07:53   #40

Boat: Cape Dory 36 Cutter - ARIEL

Just be sure that little waves are not forcing water into the exhaust outlet of your inboard engine (if you have one), which can cause a lock and possible damage to your engine.
davb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 08:51   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

If you like riding a spinnaker, you have to anchor by the stern.
We did that often while in Mexico.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 08:56   #42
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
Do you ever stern anchor?

If the water is calm, I often stern anchor so my dodger now becomes a lovely wind scoop stuffing my salon with cool air. Or, my sun sails become more effective (cast more useful shade). Eventually it can get choppy enough I turn back around, as my overhang slaps a little like this.

I've only ever seen one other boat doing this purposefully, and it was a small weekender motorboat! Good for them, noticing the wind direction.

I've also set up a "swell" bridal to change the orientation of the boat to the sun, for more or less, to taste. - AT
I have anchored using both bow and stern anchors a number of times but that was due to limited anchoring space or other location factor. I have never anchored overnight for the reason you suggested. Strange things can happen overnight and I would not feel secure with my stern facing into the wind and waves.
Old 20-05-2022, 09:16   #43

Boat: Borrensen BB-10

I was told that exclusive of other factors anchoring by the stern puts the center of lateral resistant upwind from the center of lateral effort such that the boat does not oscillate as the bow falls of to leeward making the boat "sail forward". Rinse and repeat.

Just a technique to bear in mind.
Oohla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 09:50   #44

Boat: 1998 Catalina 320

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale, there would be a couple of newspaper stories a year about powerboats sinking because their operators anchored off the stern while fishing the first reef.

Generally, what would happen is that a cruise ship or large freighter would plow along offshore and throw up a large wake.

With the common easterly winds, the wake would combine with the wind waves, grow larger and aim directly for the stern of the powerboat.

The powerboat, of course, would be stern-heavy because of the many hundreds of pounds of engine(s) there. The anchor line would keep the stern from floating up when the wake arrived.

The wake would climb over the stern and swamp the open powerboat. One minute, the guy was fishing. The next, he is waist-deep in water as the boat sinks.
Shanachie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2022, 11:17   #45

Boat: Seaward 22

I often do a bow and stern anchor overnight to keep my bow pointed into potential passing boat wake. Do this in light/no wind.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor