Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Do you ever anchor "backwards" for comfort?
Yes 10 18.18%
No 22 40.00%
Sometimes 11 20.00%
I might try it now 11 20.00%
That's the most silly thing I've ever heard of. 1 1.82%
Exceptionally pedantic answer. I don't like the poll options. 0 0%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2022, 12:53   #1

Do you ever anchor, backwards!?

Do you ever stern anchor?

If the water is calm, I often stern anchor so my dodger now becomes a lovely wind scoop stuffing my salon with cool air. Or, my sun sails become more effective (cast more useful shade). Eventually it can get choppy enough I turn back around, as my overhang slaps a little like this.

I've only ever seen one other boat doing this purposefully, and it was a small weekender motorboat! Good for them, noticing the wind direction.

I've also set up a "swell" bridal to change the orientation of the boat to the sun, for more or less, to taste.

- AT
Atcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 13:05   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Do you ever anchor, backwards!?

We've picked up moorings from the stern, but never overnight. And only in calm conditions for sun placement. I've occasionally used a spring line to the anchor for that purpose, but usually don't bother. And we never anchor from the stern, it's a lot more work for us than just dropping the primary off the bow.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 13:06   #3

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Often used to anchor my small cat like this, easy to throw it over and tie off on stern cleat. Quite amusing watching other boats lining up in our direction and trying to anchor from the bow.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 13:12   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
We've picked up moorings from the stern, but never overnight. And only in calm conditions for sun placement. I've occasionally used a spring line to the anchor for that purpose, but usually don't bother. And we never anchor from the stern, it's a lot more work for us than just dropping the primary off the bow.
I don't have a stern anchor rigged. I have done it with all anchor rode, but it's a pain. I usually I use a dock line
on a stern cleat tired to the anchor line with a rolling hitch. Keep letting out the rode and you'll flip around backwards.Toss the dock line over and you'll be back to bow into the waves.

- AT
Old 15-05-2022, 13:22   #5

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Bill Hansen of Seattle used to always anchor his Petersen 42 by the stern. Gave all the reasons you cited. I was always skeptical.
Old 15-05-2022, 13:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

It can be useful, particularly when it improves the view or sun angle.

You can use your primary (bow anchor) utilising a snubber tied to the stern. In this way releasing the stern snubber, perhaps in the evening, will leave you anchored normally.

The main problem is that other anchoring boats want to know if you are in trouble. On the plus side they invariably anchor a long distance away .
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 17:24   #7

Almost all the time on the inside passage to alaska you will "sternto"
The depths and rate of rate of descent will not let you get the scope of even 3 to one and big tidal variants 10 or 12 feet often tie to a tree or a boulder
martin b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 17:29   #8

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

We will occasionally veer stern to wind, but our typical reason is to adjust the vessel orientation to prevailing swell/wind waves. We use a snubber on the main [bow] anchor rode led aft— sometimes to a primary winch.

This provides easy adjustability and it is quick to go back to the typical bow orientation- just releasing the snubber if rapid change is needed.

Cheers! Bill
Old 15-05-2022, 18:23   #9

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atcowboy View Post
a lovely wind scoop stuffing my salon with cool air.
A horrible wind scoop stuffing the salon with freezing cold wet air, and smoke when it backdrafts the woodstove.
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2022, 18:58   #10

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Have done from time to time mostly before going to chain rode as boat would sail.
Also for ventilation, shade, never in weather.
Coincidently, I am playing with making a reel for my stern anchor rode as I'm not completely happy with it in a bucket in my stern locker.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 02:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin b View Post
Almost all the time on the inside passage to alaska you will "sternto"
The depths and rate of rate of descent will not let you get the scope of even 3 to one and big tidal variants 10 or 12 feet often tie to a tree or a boulder
I've heard of this for anchoring along the "Everests" of the ocean. "Med moored" with your pick in hundreds of feet of water. Sounds like stunning topography?

- AT
Old 16-05-2022, 03:00   #12

Boat: Rafiki 37

Have deployed a stern anchor in conjunction with my bower, but never just because I wanted to hang from the stern.
Old 16-05-2022, 03:34   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
We will occasionally veer stern to wind, but our typical reason is to adjust the vessel orientation to prevailing swell/wind waves. We use a snubber on the main [bow] anchor rode led aft— sometimes to a primary winch.

This provides easy adjustability and it is quick to go back to the typical bow orientation- just releasing the snubber if rapid change is needed.

Cheers! Bill
The winch can be a great way to micro adjust your swell bridal also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
A horrible wind scoop stuffing the salon with freezing cold wet air, and smoke when it backdrafts the woodstove.
I've had this (without the stove) happen also. Cold wet fronts rolling through, anchored in a tidal stream. Great protection from chop, but 50% of the time the boat isn't facing the right way .

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugosalt View Post
Have done from time to time mostly before going to chain rode as boat would sail.
Also for ventilation, shade, never in weather.
Coincidently, I am playing with making a reel for my stern anchor rode as I'm not completely happy with it in a bucket in my stern locker.
Ultra anchor has a reel available for sale. Interesting inspiration, at the very least! It has me mulling over different storage methods myself.

- AT
Old 16-05-2022, 04:28   #14

Boat: Hunter 410

The most compelling reason to me to anchor off the stern is for the additional ventilation with the dodger acting as a scoop. So far though, I've never found my two hatch scoops to be insufficient... Maybe I'll try it one day if it's real hot and real calm.
Old 16-05-2022, 05:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JebLostInSpace View Post
The most compelling reason to me to anchor off the stern is for the additional ventilation with the dodger acting as a scoop. So far though, I've never found my two hatch scoops to be insufficient... Maybe I'll try it one day if it's real hot and real calm.
It can dramatically change the cockpit conditions also, if you're out enjoying the veranda. Even with my dodger down (it collapses easily) the cabin top blocks a lot of the breeze. Not so stern-to.

Unfortunately my little sloop has just the one big hatch in the v berth. A cloth scoop helps a lot with that, but the bulkheads still make many dead spots in the cabin from that breeze, namely the salon berths. I also don't envy little boats with only deadlights, open portholes make a surprising difference inside.

- AT

Tags
anchor