Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:45   #301
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Do you keep a Constant Lookout?

Yep, and I know I transmit nearly 20 nms.

class B can often get to the satellite some of the comapanies are using for AIS satellite data. If it can get up there 100 nms it can sure go 20 line of sight at sea level.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 14:17   #302
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
From the Route du Rhum:
"As he passed close to the Ushant shipping lane Thomas Coville (Sodeb’O Ultime) hit a cargo ship around 2330hrs."
This was on a huge 60' trimaran that would have all the electronic aids to navigation possible, including radar, ais, etc. But he still collided with a ship.

All these electronic aids will only detect if a risk of a collision exists, it's up to the humans to avoid the collision. Looks like both parties failed in this case.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 16:23   #303
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

All the alarms in the world won't help you if you ignore them.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 19:41   #304
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
All the alarms in the world won't help you if you ignore them.
Or are too impaired to deal with them.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 02:22   #305

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
Or are too impaired to deal with them.
Yep, Jammer,

You're right about that. Some keep dry ships, others, dry and drug-free, others, not so much.

Ann
Old 05-11-2014, 04:37   #306

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
..., with the exception of some fishing vessels, which I suspect do not turn on their signal until I am very close.
Where are you sailing?
In Europe fishing vessels already had their own mandatory tracking system before AIS became mandatory. I guess that's why I see that kind of behaviour here.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:50   #307

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
From the Route du Rhum:
"As he passed close to the Ushant shipping lane Thomas Coville (Sodeb’O Ultime) hit a cargo ship around 2330hrs."
This was on a huge 60' trimaran that would have all the electronic aids to navigation possible, including radar, ais, etc. But he still collided with a ship.
wanna bet he was not "close" to the shipping lane but in it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 05:19   #308

Boat: 33ft sloop

In our territory - wherever inland waterways or North Sea, you must be blind crazy when a suitable lookout will not be in effect.

I heard that, for this reason, Irish coastguard does not like soloïsts, and I, due to my advanced age, must plan my seatrips carefully. One of the reasons I extended my plans for an autopilot.

Fisherman are outbound my main concern, they follow never a predictable course and more than often their bridge is unmanned whilst trawling.

So, sailing the North Sea, there is always someone on the lookout armed with a powerful nightglass.

Nightsailing is something I like tremendously but it is due to all the obstacles in the North Sea sometimes very demanding.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:50   #309
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Where are you sailing?
In Europe fishing vessels already had their own mandatory tracking system before AIS became mandatory. I guess that's why I see that kind of behaviour here.
Here on the Pacific coast of the USA, it's a fisherman's "right" to not show anyone where he is. I will get down to a quarter mile in the fog with him plain as day on my radar before they decide to transmit. Apparently some fishing grounds are a real trade secret. Anyway, it's a pain in my hind, esp. the small 2 man open bow boats that decide they need to fish offshore at 0300.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 17:17   #310
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
You're right about that. Some keep dry ships, others, dry and drug-free, others, not so much.
And some think that sleep deprivation is not impairment.
Old 07-11-2014, 18:18   #311
cruiser

Fishing vessel master pleads guilty to sleeping while underway

Oct 30, 2014 09:50 AM
Kevin Lam of Oahu slept for extended periods with no other lookout or helmsman on watch

The following is the text of a news release from the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Hawaii:

(HONOLULU) (Oct. 27) — Kevin Lam, age 43, a resident of Oahu, pled guilty to eight charges of operating a commercial fishing vessel in a grossly negligent manner on Friday, Oct. 24, and received a sentence of one-year probation and 60 hours of community service from Magistrate Judge Barry M. Kurren. The offenses occurred from Sept. 7 through 14, 2011, one on each day. During the probationary period, Lam may not serve as master or person in charge of any commercial vessel. Further, in order to serve as master of any commercial vessel in the future, defendant Lam must attend Coast Guard-approved training.

Florence T. Nakakuni, United States attorney for Hawaii, said that according to information produced in court, on multiple occasions, Lam, while master of the commercial fishing vessel the Lady Ann Margaret, slept for extended periods of time while the vessel was underway, with no other lookout or helmsman on watch. The prosecution alleged that Lam’s behavior risked the lives not only of his crew and a National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration observer on board, but also other mariners at sea.

Kurren remarked to Lam, "You are pretty fortunate that this didn't result in some catastrophe." Capt. Shannon Gilreath, commander, U.S. Coast Guard Sector Honolulu, supported the observation, saying, “Mariners who intentionally sleep while on watch or abandon the wheelhouse after setting the helm on autopilot put the lives of their crews and other mariners at risk.”

The Coast Guard previously assessed a civil penalty of $2,500 against Lam within the year preceding the charged offenses for negligent operation of his vessel because he was asleep with no other watch. During that incident Lam’s vessel actually collided with another vessel.

This case was investigated by the Coast Guard Investigating Service (CGIS). Assistant United States Attorney Thomas J. Brady and Special Assistant United States Attorney Angela A. Cook prosecuted this case.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:05   #312

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post
Where are you sailing?
I sail the busiest part of the North Sea: i.e. the Dutch coastal area. The dangers are many, due to the construction of the many windmillparks, oilrigs and a dense ship's traffic, the fishermen have a tradition of doing a nap when making a sweep. Nobody is on the bridge so no watch is kept.

Collisions between merchant vessels and fisherman are more often than not.
How come?
1) No proper lookout and on the side of the merchantvessel untrained watch on the bridge.

There are some 3- cases per year. Yachts are seldom involved, because of the proper lookout they are obliged to perform.
Cruising Dover Strait and the Channel emphasizes the importance of having a watch on deck. When not, you could run into some big problems that will ruin your night!

What I fear most are the fishermen in the Med along the Portugese and Spanish coast. Particularly whn they run home in the early twilight.

Or, when they are sweeping in pairs and no lights on.

What they have on board, mandatory or not, is totally beside the point of reality.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:42   #313

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacG View Post
1) No proper lookout and on the side of the merchantvessel untrained watch on the bridge.

There are some 3- cases per year. Yachts are seldom involved, because of the proper lookout they are obliged to perform.
BS......are you trying to say that other than yachts, no one, including the crew on merchant vessels, are trained and obliged to maintain a proper lookout....absolute fin garbage!!!
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:25   #314

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
BS......are you trying to say that other than yachts, no one, including the crew on merchant vessels, are trained and obliged to maintain a proper lookout....absolute fin garbage!!!
You are totally unaware of what's happening on the smaller size merchantmen.

I will dig up the recent cases and counter your bold outlet.

Just one to begin with: not precisely what I meant, but there are many such cases

http://www.safety4sea.com/navigation...se-study-17524 are many of such cases.

http://jmst.ntou.edu.tw/marine/14-4/225-230.pdf

a report showinbg lack of training

typical example of Fisherman

http://www.maritimenz.govt.nz/Commer...ons-learnt.asp
Old 08-11-2014, 04:19   #315

Another case of a merchant vessel keeping no watch at all!

Case study examples and the lessons learnt - Maritime NZ