Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 12:45   #31

Boat: Custom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
yes...two heads are better than one!
It's funny, we found a nice boat with 2 heads, compromise was that the sleeping arrangements were in the saloon and forepeak.

Not sure what I would prefer, 2 heads or having to rip my saloon apart each night to sleep?

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:50   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

This forum is full of threads like this where some guy hates his current life, has a lot of major problems, and thinks buying a boat and leaving will solve everything. A few rambling posts that have nothing to do with the realities and practicalities of their plan and then you never hear from them again. Everyone jumps in with support and praise for his vapid prose and instead of getting his feet on the ground and making it happen, he drifts further into the clouds and never returns.
Yes. I just reviewed that thread. The guy was a member who a whole 10 days. 1 imbecile and 99 posts in reply.....

Arch, just think one of these cretins posts here then goes sailing and kills all on board (except his miserable self) and gets his lawyers to sue us for encouraging the dope.

Don't read that too seriously, as Swagman John says, we all enjoy encouraging people, as we should and most are adept enough to give wholehearted encouragement

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 03-11-2010, 12:52   #33
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
........ and gets his lawyers to sue us for encouraging the dope.

Mark

Mark you sure you're not really from the USA as that's so us!
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55   #34

Boat: Pearson 281
We have almost quit 3 times now.
I am gladdest for the amount of boat work we have had to do. This would be because all this work has been a huge eye-opener on the demands of cruising and on those of us with meager budgets the demand for greater self-sufficiency.
We have also had the chance living aboard to see how we might manage the small space of our 32ft. boat... very helpful!
We once met a honeymooning couple who were chartering for the first time in the BVI... at the end of their charter they said "We didn't realize this was so much work"
Old 03-11-2010, 13:06   #35

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
This forum is full of threads like this where some guy hates his current life, has a lot of major problems, and thinks buying a boat and leaving will solve everything. A few rambling posts that have nothing to do with the realities and practicalities of their plan and then you never hear from them again. Everyone jumps in with support and praise for his vapid prose and instead of getting his feet on the ground and making it happen, he drifts further into the clouds and never returns.
I'm reminded of a quote which, I think, is from AA. It concerns relocation as method of changing your life. I believe it goes something like, "A$$hole gets on the plane in New York. A$$hole gets off the plane in Seattle."
Old 03-11-2010, 13:17   #36

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
When I was in the merch we had to rescue a group of 6 that were making the crossing to England in a Beneteau 510. They were 8 days out and the only guy onboard that knew how to sail broke his leg during a storm.

His wife wanted us to tow their boat back to the States with our vessel, a 500,000 DWT tanker. We told them not happening, either abandon it or stay with it, her choice.

After we pulled away, it was her husbands' fault that he broke his leg, lost the boat and ruined her dream.

Some how, I don't think that ended well.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:25   #37

Folks don't know what they don't know, some recognize this fact others don't. Unless you've owned and maintained boats you don't know the cost or work involved. Unless you've got a few miles under your belt you don't know how crappy it can be.

Some new sailors will learn and continue, others won't. Experience is a cold hearted bitch that demands payment.
Old 04-11-2010, 09:39   #38

Boat: 42 hatteras
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Folks don't know what they don't know, some recognize this fact others don't. Unless you've owned and maintained boats you don't know the cost or work involved. Unless you've got a few miles under your belt you don't know how crappy it can be.

Some new sailors will learn and continue, others won't. Experience is a cold hearted bitch that demands payment.
stealing that last line for my signature.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:27   #39
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Great thread.

I like Tellie's math; clearly, I fall in the cruise kind of far and post often catagory. I like my life on shore, so I'll never leave forever; I don't want to. A 3 weeks or a season, on the other hand, sounds pretty good and is well within my grasp. I have, and I will again.

On the other hand, we all need some Walter Mitty and Don Quioxte in our soul. Some times they spur a dream we follow to completion, and sometimes we wake up.
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48   #40

Boat: Skookum 53'
Living aboard tends to magnify the interpersonal problems that people have with each other. When we were sailing the south pacific we ran into more than a few couples and families that discovered, they really didn't like each other and by the time they got to Tahiti they bolted no matter the expense. Some of the people got into some weather and had the hell scared out of them and they bolted too. I bolted because, I was unwilling to put up with living under my father's rule anymore (I was 18 and had been going to sea with him since I was 9). However, I made my life at sea and continue doing so and love it all the more, I was fortunate to marry late in life, and to a top notch sea going fisherwoman, whom I love with all my heart and we find absolute joy going to sea together, good weather or bad and we always manage a laugh together during the times that try our patience. Don't get me wrong there are times when we have our "days" and we are grouchy, but we both know that just like any storm on the water, it will pass. Our mutual respect & love, keep us finding the joy in living on the ocean.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:01   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbot View Post
When I bought my first boat, I discovered that the first owner and his wife, plus their friend and wife who had also bought the same type of boat had sailed as soon as the hull was wet through the french canals for the mediterranean. When they arrived both couples locked up their boats, returned to UK and divorced. The boats were sold as part of the divorces.

The message surely must be to establish that the intended long distance voyage is both your dream otherwise make some other arrangement.
I believe they call those "water soluble marriages"
Old 04-11-2010, 13:03   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReMetau View Post
I love the closeness I experience with my wife and best friend.
It's lucky that the three of you get on so well...
Old 04-11-2010, 14:22   #43

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Richard, the Owner/Publisher of Latitude 38, who has been doing a Pied Piper thing for first time cruisers to Cabo San Lucas for over twenty years, once expressed his opinion on the longivity of cruisers. 50% of boats return home the first year, 50% of those left return home the second year, and each year thereafter 50% of those remaining each year return home.
Old 04-11-2010, 14:34   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Hate to be the last one... half here and half there!

Old 04-11-2010, 14:39   #45
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Living aboard tends to magnify the interpersonal problems that people have with each other. When we were sailing the south pacific we ran into more than a few couples and families that discovered, they really didn't like each other and by the time they got to Tahiti they bolted no matter the expense. Some of the people got into some weather and had the hell scared out of them and they bolted too. I bolted because, I was unwilling to put up with living under my father's rule anymore (I was 18 and had been going to sea with him since I was 9). However, I made my life at sea and continue doing so and love it all the more, I was fortunate to marry late in life, and to a top notch sea going fisherwoman, whom I love with all my heart and we find absolute joy going to sea together, good weather or bad and we always manage a laugh together during the times that try our patience. Don't get me wrong there are times when we have our "days" and we are grouchy, but we both know that just like any storm on the water, it will pass. Our mutual respect & love, keep us finding the joy in living on the ocean.

I think that bests describes the reality and if you are fortunate to have found a partner who feels like you that… even the worst days at sea are better than commuting during gridlock hours on shore… you have found a great partner.

Cannot emphasize enough the importance of keeping that sense of humor when the sea teaches you a little bit more humility
Closed Thread