Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 02:14   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Do You Really Know Your Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
No, but I'm trying. Anyone know the mast height of a 1971 Bristol 30'
all answers greatly appreciated.
The easiest way to measure a mast is to take any spare rope and tie or tape one end to a halyard or sheet that travels the outside of the mast and pull it to the top. Mark the bottom at deck level. Then bring it down and lay it out on a jetty and measure it laying down. Of course it will only work if you have an external rope on your mast which mine has two externals. All the others are internals.

Another way takes a bit of maths, measure out a set distance from the foot of the mast, with a protractor at that sport take an angle in degrees to the top of the mast. You now know the length along the bottom, you have the angle, you can work out the height from that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 11:58   #32

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
3.14pm. No they won't, I am one of the kicker offerers.

Coops.
Recieved message about shorthand...thank you. :biggrin:
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 14:05   #33

Boat: Freedom 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The easiest way to measure a mast is to take any spare rope and tie or tape one end to a halyard or sheet that travels the outside of the mast and pull it to the top. Mark the bottom at deck level. Then bring it down and lay it out on a jetty and measure it laying down. Of course it will only work if you have an external rope on your mast which mine has two externals. All the others are internals.

Another way takes a bit of maths, measure out a set distance from the foot of the mast, with a protractor at that sport take an angle in degrees to the top of the mast. You now know the length along the bottom, you have the angle, you can work out the height from that.
Thank you for the info. I'm making folders for all the info I get on CF.
Will then separate for catagories. I found my answer for mast, but this will go in the folder
zengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 14:10   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Make sure that you have a really big folder for "absolute rubbish." You can be sure it will fill quickly. Start with any of my posts.

Coops.
Old 12-10-2014, 16:34   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
No they won't, I am one of the kicker offerers. Coops.
Well done. Funniest quote of the day.
Beth, my boat is a young (39) lady who does not like being at dock. She is happiest in the ocean swells and wandering around new places. She tugs at her anchor whenever it is down, not a lot but just enough to let us know she prefers to be sailing.
Incredibly brave and loyal, she will plow through all types of swells uphill if that's what is in order, only creaking and humming to a wind above 30 knots or so.
She is not your typical American, but more your PNW silent stoic type, and I appreciate her stealth when coming into a anchorage at 3 am. She is also forgiving of mistakes, and protective of all the family; so she will work with the rest of my family as well as my friends who are on watch as well as I.
I have associated with her for 6 years. Don't know everything about her, but I trust her to get me there and back.
And I try to get her to tolerate being tied up for most of the year.
Attached Images

s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 08:18   #36

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
you're one of those touchy, feely, sensitive types aren't you?
To deny Man's personal and intimate connection with boats is to deny that which makes us human. From the earliest Phoenician trading vessels that plied the Mediterranean Sea, to the Polynesian navigators who discovered the islands of the South Pacific from the Chinese mainland, to the Viking Longships that warred and discovered the New World and the famous battleships HMS Victory, captained by Lord Nelson, to the "unsinkable" Bismarck and Titanic, men have had a special bond and understanding of these vessels since they not only served a useful function but also created a personal relationship that developed as they spent time aboard their vessels. It has been maritime tradition to name and christen a vessel before launch and these ceremonies dated thousands of years in the past. Viking ships represented the spirit of the captain and its crew and were named "silver wolf," "wave tamer," "storm rider" and sea dragon." The famous Hokulea(Star of Gladness) that retraced the ancient Polynesian routes without navigational instruments was built with "Mana"- according to the Polynesians-the living spirits of the materials used to build the canoe which the Polynesian navigators believed were reborn in a new shape and form. These were vessels that their captains and crew knew intimately from long times spent at sea and developed a knowledge of their vessels from trading, exploration and warfare that distinguished them from others they may have sailed before. And, if Man did not historically feel this special connection and understanding with his boats, they would be named 1,2,3 or A, B, or C since they would be simply utilitarian vessels and have no special connection to their owners. But, we all know this is not the case with "work boats" or even our own boats and certainly has never been the case with boats throughout history. "Touchy feely?" Now I understand why you have chosen your internet name: "On The Rocks." You bet!
Old 13-10-2014, 08:32   #37

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Right now we are in the rebuilding phase and we pretty much think our boat hates us. She seems to be fighting us every step of the way with everything we try to do. And on top of it one of us seems to come home from the boatyard injured each weekend.

She's either very cranky or has a cruel sense of humor. I'm hoping she'll be like a horse that's distrusting and hard to break in the beginning but then begins to yield after you demonstrate patience and reliability over time. One can only hope.
Old 13-10-2014, 12:11   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
Right now we are in the rebuilding phase and we pretty much think our boat hates us. She seems to be fighting us every step of the way with everything we try to do. And on top of it one of us seems to come home from the boatyard injured each weekend.

She's either very cranky or has a cruel sense of humor. I'm hoping she'll be like a horse that's distrusting and hard to break in the beginning but then begins to yield after you demonstrate patience and reliability over time. One can only hope.
How do you feel after major, painful surgery that makes you change your life? Do you feel like hugging the surgeons?
I'm usually pretty grumpy.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 18:58   #39

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
How do you feel after major, painful surgery that makes you change your life? Do you feel like hugging the surgeons?
I'm usually pretty grumpy.
In a great show of trust, Panope let me lay her wide open (with a Skillsaw) without so much as a whimper. She patiently waited years and years for me to put her back together without any doubt that I would. Maybe she knows me better than I know her.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 08:49   #40

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Not sure about anyone else but it usually takes me a bout two years to get completely familiar with a new boat. Learning how it sails best under all conditions means you have to sail it under all conditions, downwind, upwind, beam reaching under all conditions and weather. It's pretty hard to simulate all the different conditions you'll be sailing under in a short period. Usually it means approaching heavier conditions in a conservative manner until you've figured out the good and bad points of the vessel.
Usually after a couple years you gain an intuitive feel for your boat which does make it that much more pleasurable to sail.
Some boats I've absolutely loved, others were more of a working relationship, all were a love/hate relationship.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 09:58   #41

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Right now, I feel like I know my boat the way that someone who "doesn't get women" knows the woman in their life. Something is up (the sound of the water pump has changed), but I have no idea what or why.

When we got the boat, something was a little leaky. Plus, the pump is located so that it bangs the fitting against the side of the settee when it runs. We did some carpentry that involved disconnecting the filter and when we put it all back together, water was spurting out one of the connections. I replaced that connection with the first thing I found. Then I noticed that water seemed to seep out the pump head, so I ordered a repair kit and bought all the bits and baubles necessary to replumb so that the pump could be moved over a couple of inches. Evidently, the pump didn't want its guts ripped out, because it started behaving as soon as the repair kit arrived. I figured "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and set aside my purchases. Now, two months later, the sound of the pump thumping on the settee has changed subtly, but the pump isn't coming on randomly, as it would with a leak.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:27   #42

Boat: Cambria 44/46

I may know my boat too well.

One night offshore singlehanded I fell asleep. We were sailing well. all was quiet and peaceful. In the groove, as may be said. I dreamt of my lovely girl shimmying up a wave and wriggling her lovely hips down the next. Then I was startled and awakened by a splash! I was soaked -inside- my foul weather gear! And the boat just chuckled along in the groove.

Dennis
DennisDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 11:47   #43

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Yes I know my boat...I don't know about Coops!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2014, 15:35   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

No, I can safely say that I do not know your boat.

Coops.
Old 18-10-2014, 01:45   #45

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Our boat was a revelation. She sails pleasantly, competently, even agressively at times,
and she has quirks: she mostly catches on board the nuts she unwinds. This has led us to safety wire all the gooseneck nuts, and to keep close track of the boom vang lower fittings as well. Not sure who's in control here.....but it was quite exciting when the bolt that holds the horns lifted right out of the gooseneck!

Ann ;-)