Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 10:25   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: '87 Irwin 43
Docklines

Time to replace docklines on our ‘87 Irwin 43 (I’ve always used 3/4” 3 strand nylon). I’m considering possibly changing to - 5/8” diameter and/or double braid instead of 3 strand. 3/4” diameter line can fill up the deck cleats pretty quick since my line length allows me to double the dock line (triple for a named storm). Thoughts? Thanks!
malyea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 10:38   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Docklines

5/8 double braid should be appropriate. It's what I use on my own boat, and honestly, even 1/2" would probably be fine for me.

I much prefer how double braid handles as a dock line compared to 3 strand, and 8 plait seems a bit too snag prone as a dock line. Double braid is about half as stretchy as equal size 3 strand (and a bit stronger), but that's not an issue if it's sized appropriately and you avoid short breast lines when tying up.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 13:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Double braid is much more prone to chafe and abrasion than 3 strand. Expect to replace more often especially if you aren't religious about using chafing gear. Braid does remain supple where 3 strand tends to get stiff over time. If you are in an area where high winds and waves are a problem, I'd stick with 3 strand.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 22:33   #4

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 cataran

The 8 or 12 plait braid has the advantage of being quiet. We usually spend only a few nights a year in a marina and squeaking dock lines drive me nuts. Eight plait dock lines virtually eliminate the problem.
sv Grateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 09:55   #5

Boat: Sabre 402

Sounds like you are tied up in a marina most of the time, so Rover's advice might be the best to heed. 3-strand will chafe less, last longer, (looking better), and be less expensive. The 3-strand nylon is likely stretchier than braided lines, which are probably polyester. The stretchier nylon will result in fewer "jerks" in the boat's motion, reducing wear & tear on you, the cleats and other gear as well.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2021, 14:48   #6

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

When we had our first Insatiable (36 ft. 12 tonnes flush deck sloop), the marina in Noumea insisted on a minimum of 16 mm 3 strand nylon for our boat to be allowed in when expecting a minor cyclone....and term insurance to protect them against our possibly damaging their docks.

Ann
Old 22-08-2021, 15:20   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use my docklines looong time.. my patricia leftovers are as such:
yachtbraid, 1 season no stretch break easily and ruptured outside -- chafed thru, need reassignment to other uses. .
3 strand--still using from patricia and they are without chafe or problems.
8 plait is also still great shape..
i would go with 3 strand which stretches well or 8 plait.
you do remember patricia the hurricane strongest on planet earth to this day whose eyewall and eye came directly over the marina at barra de navidad, which is actually coilimilla..... was a fun party hahahahaha, but a tad hard on lines.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock