Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 18:54   #1

Boat: Alberg 30
Send a message via AIM to Harry Black
Dodger solar panel

I have an Alberg 30 and am thinking about getting a dodger and was wondering whether flexible solar panels laid on top of a dodger work very well. Any thoughts?
Harry Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:16   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO469
Re: Dodger solar panel

I have some flexible panels on my Bimini. For a few years they have been working great. I secured them well with zippers and they are not very curved. I also glued some corrugated plastic to the back to stiffen them. What I understand is that you don’t want them to flap at all. I bought good panels and shading has not been a problem. For planning I suggest you assume one half rated power as reasonable in lower angle months.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:21   #3
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Black View Post
I have an Alberg 30 and am thinking about getting a dodger and was wondering whether flexible solar panels laid on top of a dodger work very well. Any thoughts?
I am not familiar with how dodgers are attached but I have been researching solar panels for our 1974 Tollycraft Sedan and plan on putting them on the Bimini and I think they will work fine. You just need a way to secure. The flexible solar panels gave grommets on the corners, usually, so they can be secured.

The one interesting thing I found out was even the flexible panels will only flex about 30 percent.

Chris
trihartsfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 19:33   #4

Boat: Rafiki 37

Are you talking true flexible panels of the amorphous silicon variety, or are you talking semi-flex panels? The first are usually mounted on soft, flexible backing. The semi-flex are mounted on a hard plastic or aluminum surface.

In all cases, chafe will be your constant challenge with anything hard placed against cloth. The flexible panels would be safer, but they are also the least efficient, and generally only generate small amounts of power.

I have seen semi-flex panels mounted in reinforced dodger pockets that protect the underlying dodger cloth. Generally, I think it's not a great idea. Or rather, I think it's hard to ensure there is no movement, and hence no chafe risk.

Many mount solar panels over top of bimini covers. These are usually on their own frame mounts, and not in direct contact with the sunbrella.

I built a solar panel bimini and decided to forego any cloth, hence eliminating the chafe issue.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:26   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO469

I suspect that rigid panels on a frame are a sturdy way to mount them. And rigid panels supply more power for the space and money. But I wanted to avoid the look and windage of another frame. I had one side of the zippers sewn right onto the flex panels and the mating half of the zippers sewn on a reinforced Bimini. They didn’t alter the look of the Bimini at all. But probably a complicated way to do it and not the most efficient. For me it was a good balance. If I decide to add more solar at some point I would probably use rigid panels mounted over the Dodger if I could set it up so the mast never hits.
Peeew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:38   #6

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I built a solar panel bimini and decided to forego any cloth, hence eliminating the chafe issue.
I'm sure I've asked this before, maybe it was of you, and maybe you answered and I've forgotten, but...

Any pictures/diagrams/ideas about this project? I've had the idea of doing the same thing rattling around in my head for a few years now.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm sure I've asked this before, maybe it was of you, and maybe you answered and I've forgotten, but...

Any pictures/diagrams/ideas about this project? I've had the idea of doing the same thing rattling around in my head for a few years now.
Could be Tom... I forget as well .

Here's a few pics that might help. I designed it all myself, so it's nothing fancy. I had a local marine canvas shop do the bends for me. Then I just cut the arches to fit.

Happy to answer any other questions if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0689.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	425.0 KB
ID:	234364   Click image for larger version

Name:	_IGP6223.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	234365  

Name:	IMGA0527.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	234366   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA0528.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	430.8 KB
ID:	234367  

Name:	IMGA0529.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	449.8 KB
ID:	234368  
Old 12-03-2021, 09:16   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Mike, that's exactly what I want to do!

My fears are that regular Bimini poles wouldn't hold up in high winds, or that the existing 1" SS rails I'd be attaching to wouldn't support the weight. Just from your pictures, I'm thinking maybe I'd be OK. I'd actually have room for more panels, the trunk cabin I'd be covering is close to 10'x10'.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Mike, that's exactly what I want to do!

My fears are that regular Bimini poles wouldn't hold up in high winds, or that the existing 1" SS rails I'd be attaching to wouldn't support the weight. Just from your pictures, I'm thinking maybe I'd be OK. I'd actually have room for more panels, the trunk cabin I'd be covering is close to 10'x10'.
Weight really isn't an issue for my two panels. The panels don't weight that much, although obviously more panels would add more weight. Note, I use the smaller 7/8" ss tubing here, and it has proven to be plenty strong.

Windage is certainly something to consider, but it's an issue for all bimini structures. Mine has had no problems living through multiple Newfoundland gales and storms, and even one Cat. I hurricane (so far). I think the fact that they're horizontal, and fairly thing, means wind blows around them more than on them. They don't tend to load up. That said, I made the structure simple, but strongly aligned along the various force vectors to take the expected loads. So far so good.

Also note, it's not that hard to remove the panels since they're just attached via U-bolts. This is something I would do if facing say a Cat. II or greater hurricane.

Tags
dodger, solar