Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2016, 15:54   #46

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

"remember that time we told some jerk he'd fail, and then he failed?!"

The only good reason i can think of to resurrect something like this would be to consider what might have been done differently (if anything) to have a better outcome... better convincing to not risk it?? or better advisement about the design?

Or at least, consider it a bit of a failure when waxing philosophically about it. Certainly not *gloat* about it or whatever this thread is.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 15:56   #47

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Did he also eat his dockmasters fingers?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
No, that was the owner of the Flyin Hawaiian, which also broke up.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:16   #48

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
No, that was the owner of the Flyin Hawaiian, which also broke up.
The follow up:

Update video available: Coast Guard rescues 5 people from sinking sailing vessel off the coast of Monterey

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Coast Guard rescued five people from a sinking 65-foot sailing vessel approximately 120 miles off the Monterey coast, Saturday.
At approximately 8 a.m. Saturday, the 11th Coast Guard District Command Center received a distress signal from a personal locator beacon. A C17 transport aircraft under Oakland Center Control, flying at approximately 5,000 feet, visually identified the sailing vessel in the vicinity of the alert location and confirmed that the sailing vessel Flyin’ Hawaiian was taking on water.
The Coast Guard responded with one Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento HC-130H Hercules aircrew. The crew was able to contact and divert the Aqualeader, a tank ship that was 24 miles from the sailing vessel's location. Though unable to remove anyone off the vessel, the Aqualeader assisted by blocking seas and wind for the Flyin’ Hawaiian.
The Coast Guard launched one Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco MH-65 helicopter rescue crew and one MH-65 helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Los Angeles.
Both helicopter crews successfully rescued the five people from the sinking sailing vessel.
All five people were transported to shore with no reported injuries.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:19   #49

Boat: Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite View Post
The follow up:

Update video available: Coast Guard rescues 5 people from sinking sailing vessel off the coast of Monterey

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Coast Guard rescued five people from a sinking 65-foot sailing vessel approximately 120 miles off the Monterey coast, Saturday.
At approximately 8 a.m. Saturday, the 11th Coast Guard District Command Center received a distress signal from a personal locator beacon. A C17 transport aircraft under Oakland Center Control, flying at approximately 5,000 feet, visually identified the sailing vessel in the vicinity of the alert location and confirmed that the sailing vessel Flyin’ Hawaiian was taking on water.
The Coast Guard responded with one Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento HC-130H Hercules aircrew. The crew was able to contact and divert the Aqualeader, a tank ship that was 24 miles from the sailing vessel's location. Though unable to remove anyone off the vessel, the Aqualeader assisted by blocking seas and wind for the Flyin’ Hawaiian.
The Coast Guard launched one Coast Guard Air Station San Francisco MH-65 helicopter rescue crew and one MH-65 helicopter rescue crew from Coast Guard Air Station Los Angeles.
Both helicopter crews successfully rescued the five people from the sinking sailing vessel.
All five people were transported to shore with no reported injuries.
The backstory leading up to that unfortunate end is one filled with bizarre twists and turns. Just a strange story all around.
Fog Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 17:04   #50
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Yeah, the new Leopard cats do, obviously by design.
Was chatting to someone who just brought one up from South Africa (delivery) and obviously no one has told him about it. Freaked him right out. But I think he was fine after the 6,000nms.

I don't know more but others must

I don't see it as a problem at all... but maybe that's because my dad was a civil engineer and most structures flex, expand or both.
The older Leopards were known for being about the least flexy cats, so this might have changed. The FP's however, were designed so some things "floated". I did a passage on an FP 60 that was very rough, and that was the noisiest boat I have ever sailed on...inside! The wind and chaos outside was less noisy, only time I have ever seen that. But she made the trip in fine shape and no damage so I learned to respect that flexing for what it was.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 18:07   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
The older Leopards were known for being about the least flexy cats, so this might have changed. The FP's however, were designed so some things "floated". I did a passage on an FP 60 that was very rough, and that was the noisiest boat I have ever sailed on...inside! The wind and chaos outside was less noisy, only time I have ever seen that. But she made the trip in fine shape and no damage so I learned to respect that flexing for what it was.
It may well have been FP. My brain age...
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 20:14   #52

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

Maybe this thread can morph into something useful. Personal experience with multi hulls. Sailed aluminium cat to Andamans. Surprised the slamming between the amas didn't break welds or something. Friends on a glass cat spent a lot of time in the dingy at anchor glueing strips of glass back. My big mono was a lot more comfortable in those kinds of seas.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 21:11   #53

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
Edison was actually all for DC power. CC is an acronym for "constant current".
Or "Concealed Carry".

And yes, my trimaran flexes in big seas, mostly fore and aft.

Now back to your regular programming...

Mae West
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 21:56   #54

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Or "Concealed Carry".
Or "carbon copy"
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 23:25   #55

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
As a matter of fact, I was once a prolific contributor to this forum, I was on here every day for several years. I'm now out cruising and working as a marine mechanic. It seems that I could have a lot to offer. In just one thread I am reminded why I left. A couple of smug newbies, here all of 2 months, ready to jump down my throat over something that they had no experience with and no understanding of. I believe that the anonymity of this forum allows self important dweebs to flourish. I'm going back to the facebook forums where there are pictures of the posters and real names and where they're less likely to be outright ******** hiding behind assumed identities.
So, did you have a specific reason for starting this thread? or are you still carrying a resentment from several years ago?

I have only been a member of this forum a short time and a cruiser for many years. I find that a lot of the members here are of a cruisers mind set and want to help other cruisers. Are you asking for help with this thread? if you could be a little more specific, I'm sure the community could help find a solution for your problem, if you are willing.
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 05:37   #56

Boat: Scout 30

One thing I've noticed on this forum is that you never know what kind of direction a thread might take or when you might get something out of it. Call it hijacking if you will but sometimes threads with questionable beginnings can become interesting & useful. However, I've never seen anything useful come out of personal insults.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, member