Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 12:42   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was destroye

He was on here 4-5-6 years ago bragging and bragging about how he was going to win the Transpac or circumnavigate in the multi with a big X made of tubing and the thing broke up in no time and he had to be rescued like the 2nd day?
Old 17-01-2016, 14:15   #2

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

This one?

The Tin Can Blog - David Vann's Epic Journey Around the World

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:54   #3

Re: Does anyone remember that arrogant kid who built his aluminum multi that was dest

No, not that one, the one I'm talking about was a younger guy and there was a HUGE X made of 3" or 4" aluminum tubing and it broke up right at that big X.
Old 17-01-2016, 17:28   #4

Looks like the one you're describing...

Mae West
Old 18-01-2016, 07:16   #5

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Looks like there are some fundamental design issues there. the Core of the X would have lots of twisting forces on it.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:18   #6
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
He was on here 4-5-6 years ago bragging and bragging about how he was going to win the Transpac or circumnavigate in the multi with a big X made of tubing and the thing broke up in no time and he had to be rescued like the 2nd day?

Forgive me, but arrogance is not limited to a creative and brave man who failed (Edison failed over 1000 times), and who some would be just as quick to call a genius and hero had he succeeded. It is far to easy for some of us to condescend, especially when most of us would not even attempt such an endeavor.

Less coffee, eh?
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:27   #7

Boat: Catalina 30 TR

“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas A. Edison
CShawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:48   #8

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
Forgive me, but arrogance is not limited to a creative and brave man who failed (Edison failed over 1000 times), and who some would be just as quick to call a genius and hero had he succeeded. It is far to easy for some of us to condescend, especially when most of us would not even attempt such an endeavor.

Less coffee, eh?
All true of course, but excessive bragging or trash talking makes all the difference, IMHO.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 07:55   #9

Read Vann's book: "A Mile Down: The True Story of a Disastrous Career at Sea". It will give you a feel for what he's about. I don't think he closely fits the model of the successful adventurer. But then, neither do I. The world if full of interesting people.
Tetra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:02   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

I don't know or remember the man in question, but this topic ...
Not very classy, IMHO, no matter what may (not) have happened before.
Old 18-01-2016, 08:07   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post

Less coffee, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
I don't know or remember the man in question, but this topic ...
Not very classy, IMHO, no matter what may (not) have happened before.
Well, Edison didn't go on an internet forum to ask for advice from experts and then completely and arrogantly ignore that advice, which (of course) contributed to the almost immediate failure of the boat. But neither of you were members of this forum then, were you? So maybe you shouldn't be chiding those who were.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:14   #12

Evidently the kid did not have much engineering knowledge. His design focuses all the stress into one spot. Not a good idea. Need to keep the structural stresses spread out to provide the maximum absorption of forces on the hull. Basic engineering not that difficult to learn.

The traditional Marshall Island outriggers flexed all over the place. We sailed one from Ebeye to Kwaj. Double hulled. Each hull was working independently while the center platform was all wobbly like. Kind of like sailing a rubber band. It worked. The flexing absorbed what otherwise would have been a pounding sail to Kwaj.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 08:26   #13

I called him arrogant not because he tried to innovate. I called him arrogant because he was incredibly arrogant on this board and on Sailing Anarchy.
Arrogance exists independent of innovations. But like Fastbottoms said, you wouldn't know that because you weren't here. How quick you are to judge. How quick you are to judge. Maybe judge that thing in the mirror for a moment from time to time?
Old 18-01-2016, 08:32   #14

(sigh)

Mae West
Old 18-01-2016, 08:33   #15

As a matter of fact, I was once a prolific contributor to this forum, I was on here every day for several years. I'm now out cruising and working as a marine mechanic. It seems that I could have a lot to offer. In just one thread I am reminded why I left. A couple of smug newbies, here all of 2 months, ready to jump down my throat over something that they had no experience with and no understanding of. I believe that the anonymity of this forum allows self important dweebs to flourish. I'm going back to the facebook forums where there are pictures of the posters and real names and where they're less likely to be outright asses hiding behind assumed identities.

Tags
aluminum, member