Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 09:43   #31

Boat: Custom 1962 steel 41 ft steel yawl
Re: Does anyone sail now or have sailed before without a motor

Pictures. But the mizzen boom isn't attached right now or the self tending jib boom but I got some pics finally
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502307493128.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	154213   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1502844082528.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	154214  

Name:	FB_IMG_1501097990861.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	154215   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170808_224023_084.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	406.0 KB
ID:	154216  

Name:	2017-06-01-18-46-17.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	424.1 KB
ID:	154217  
Estrellita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 09:49   #32

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Read all the books as well , loved them , however I would not willingly go to sea without an engine. ( or two ) , can't really see the logic , get it fixed before you leave , bloody hell , life is hard enough without compounding the issues . Happy sailing .
I have to agree, I have sailed without, and worked for hours to go a mile. It's just not worth it if you don't have to do it! If your trying to prove something, I suppose it's a different story. They did it in the day of sail because they had no choice! If they could have had an engine, believe me, they would have had one!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:01   #33

Boat: Scout 30

Very cool boat! Get that mizzen up before you go. You can use it as a brake & for reverse. And just a little of it will keep you from sailing at anchor. If there's any way you can score a dinghy with a motor before you go it would help a lot. Watch Craigslist for a deal.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:06   #34

I'm waiting until I get to Key West and a job to get a dinghy and motor. That's my destination and where I will get a job and start on all these boat projects and get what I need to succeed, as of now I'm doing my best winging it. I think it's a big accomplishment going without a motor. It's something I want to do. I want to fix the motor myself and I need a class or to a little more time and better weather. It's one more thing I'll take care of when I get to the keys. I think I am going to wait for the winds to change and leave more towards Nov 1 instead of now. So I'm not sailing straight into the wind during the peak of hurricane season
Old 16-08-2017, 10:11   #35

If you have a tiller you can use a sculling oar over the transom to get you into harbors and marinas. I have seen these used successfully on 55ft ketches. But the treaty of the time you just have to wait for the wind.

Normally a wheel is too close to the transom and does not provide enough space to skull.
peterbeale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:14   #36

Boat: Tartan 37

How are you for crew? I ask because my last sail without a motor, wouldn't have been possible without good help. I will have a used running take-out Westerbeke 50 (41hp) bobtail available very soon.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:20   #37

I'm always solo, been single handing since the begining of time..haha I might have a friend going but I will plan on going solo. And I'm not sure want that is you're talking about, run-in take out or bobtail
Old 16-08-2017, 10:25   #38

Boat: Scout 30

Sounds like a great adventure. The good thing about getting there in November is that's in season so jobs will be more plentiful. What kind of motor & what's wrong with it? You will undoubtedly get some good advice on fixing it here.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:49   #39

Boat: Boatless

Sailing engineless requires skill. Growing up racing we sailed engineless 90% of the time and when cruising started out with an essentially engineless Sea Sprite 24. I've done the same with Catalina 30's on up to a Hans Christian 43 (it had an engine of course but we tried to use as little as possible.)

All that being said from a brief read of your original post you are not at that point. Could you? Yes. Will you likely be a burden to others at some point and soon, likely.

Take the time to get to know your engine. I wrote a piece called "motoring" if you get a chance, it's on the blog. Diesels are simple, require basic care and understanding and it is simply prudent (which is what we sailors are suppose to be) to have it at the ready.

Side note, I've been following Lin and Larry for years, even stalked them at their house in NZ :-) (They were not home but Talisman was there, very cool.) For true engineless sailing toss in a large dose of patience ;-) and a dash of time.

Be careful out there, don't want to put others in harms way as a result of your decisions if at all possible.

Cheers ;-)

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 10:57   #40

How would I be endangering anyone elses if I'm single-handed?
Old 16-08-2017, 11:24   #41

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
The 1st responders that have to rescue you from a big blow if you plan carelessly..
Old 16-08-2017, 11:31   #42

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Hitting other boats coming into dock
Sailing was somewhat different in Hiscock's day
:-)

QUOTE=Estrellita;2457811]How would I be endangering anyone elses if I'm single-handed?[/QUOTE]
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 11:31   #43

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estrellita View Post
Use your imagination, there are a million ways too get in trouble!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 11:41   #44

Boat: Junk rigged composite Atkin Tern, 30 feet

The rig and underbody of our Cheoy Lee Offshore 40, Mary T, are very similar to yours. We had several periods over the years, of sailing without an engine, whether it was out for a re-build or lurking in its hole waiting for the skipper's diagnosis.

We did not always sit on the hook or in a marina during these periods; sometimes we went sailing just for fun, others we went for water and food, which meant maneuvering in port. Based on this experience, if you are going to wait until November, it would be a good use of your time to get the mizzen boom back on and the mizzen working. It won't be particularly helpful to you on passage, but will be invaluable maneuvering when you get there, especially if you have enough wind to take down the main.

Strapped in, the mizzen will keep the boat headed into the wind while you drop that big anchor. If you need to sail off the hook, you can tie the mizzen boom over to a shroud to shove the boat onto the tack you will want when the anchor comes up (sail stop and slip knot). This is very handy in a crowded anchorage! We did practice this a lot in our early years, and at first I liked to have the engine (if it was working) ticking over in neutral as a security blanket, but after a while I was happy to skip the engine. My late husband liked to get up early and sail out of an anchorage on a morning offshore breeze singlehanded, adding the main or the engine later, depending on the wind.

I do agree with the people who suggest towing membership/insurance especially if you think you'll need to go through a narrow, coral-lined entrance to a crowded marina.
Hene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 11:51   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Looking at your hull design & rig I would hazard a guess that short leg tacking against wind & current would be a nightmare. Not the sort of boat I'd like to be engineless in. Didnt have diesel for 6 weeks once coastal cruising Northern NZ & it was ok but made life a lot harder. We rarely use the motor ordinarily but when you want/need it, it's great to have it.People asked us constantly when motor was down " how can you have no motor?" Used to answer " Captain Cook had no motor" On the other hand he could probably send the the crew out in longboats to pull the ship & lash them if they refused. Can you do that to your crew?
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail