Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2011, 11:18   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: does boat have to be documented to enter french islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have been cautioned to make really good color copies and take a single complete set of papers with you to check in. You may want to decide if you will also carry the original with you to check in but some places will try to take posession of the documentation. Various reasons including souveniers up to holding you hostage for its return later for undisclosed fees. If you can pass off the color print you are not the victim. The same goes for your captain's credentials, station license, insurance etc.
It'll have to be a two sided copy. The document serial number is on the lower back side and the paper is over sized. At least mine is. The the serial # is not the same as the USCG #

Also there is a heat sensitive (pink) dot in the upper RH corner. If you put your finger over it, it disappears. It's something they might notice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample_doc.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	140.3 KB
ID:	34874  
Old 18-12-2011, 11:36   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I have first hand experience with this on Martinique. They require original documents and are smart enough to know if you are showing the genuine document. At that point they will also ask you the direct question if it is the original or a copy? Would you lie in that case? I didn't and went to get originals.

I have never heard of any East Caribbean island taking documentation hostage, except when the boat owner is suspected of criminal acts (incl. not paying their bills).

ciao!
Nick.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 12:05   #18

Boat: Gemini 105MC 34 ft hull#753

I would guess in todays electronic world that any country can connect to the US Coast Guard's data base and check ownership lots better than any single state which would be lots more difficult. I can see that the countries that check are just wanting proof you really own the boat and you didn't just steel it like some of todays pirate's might. It's not a biggie to document your boat to show your the real owner and the added security of having most countries you might visit will be checking the US Coast Guard data base.
Old 18-12-2011, 13:50   #19

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
The net tons are determined by the cubic area of the enclosed space if I remember right. It's calculated as if it's a big rectangular box. A 30 footer generally comes out maybe 5-6 tons.
Quite close. From Wikipedia Net Tonnage:
Usage

In the United States, net tonnage is used to determine eligibility for registering boats with the federal government. Vessels with net tonnage of five or more are eligible for federal registration and not required to display state registration numbers. Most vessels longer than 25 feet are five tons or more.

So if your boat is average and 25 ft LOA or bigger you can qualify for USCG Documentation. I have redone my documentation several times due to change in joint ownership and many years ago the total cost was about US$90 and it was all done my mail. Looking up the link above for the USCG Documentation Center I see the fee is currently US$133. (plus postage) USCG National Vessel Documentation Center, Fee Page
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 15:13   #20

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Net tons, here's the form>>> http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/docs/CG-5397.pdf
Old 18-12-2011, 19:25   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Thanks Delmarrey. I didn't realize ho simple they had made the simplified form. Its a good way to go if you manufacturer has no certificate to send you. I wonder if production vessels are in the USCG data base anyway?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote