Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2010, 12:33   #76

Boat: CT54
We have lived aboard our 54' ketch for about 5 years now and have been cruising for the past year out of the US. Does size matter? well yes and no in my opinion. We do have quite a bit of room and with that comes the ability to carry large amounts of supplies which give us the ability to live comfortably at anchor in our own little "city" so to speak for long periods of time. I do see people doing the same thing in smaller boats and no doubt they are just as comfortable but may need to head to shore a little earlier than we do, but in reality that is a small consideration as most cruisers enjoy the local experience and do not want to be holed up in there boat for months at a time.
When we had a land home we owned a 30' sailboat and enjoyed immensely. I use to say that I would go anywhere in the world on that boat. For one, two or three years it would be a lot of fun and a seaworthy boat that was comfortable for two people. Size did not matter, only the adventure. The boat we now have is different in that we do not own a land home and the boat is our home. Not having a land home was the biggest consideration when we were deciding on what size boat we wanted (well besides money of course). I can't imagine fitting our worldly possessions in a 30' boat and cutting the dock lines for 5 or 10 years...just a bit of a stretch for us I guess. But who knows maybe one day we will buy another land home and sell the big boat for a 30'. As long as you love the boat then the rest is just details (including size).
Oh one more thing in favor of small boats....big sailboats are much more likely to get hit by lightning. We can vouch for that!
Best,
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 12:42   #77

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
guernsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Hmm, our 31 foot yacht would cost $7500 a year in a posh marina, no idea what 60 feet would cost. Then there are the sails. A new set is $3000 in a quality Dacron. As for the Dockmaster will allocate you a larger mooring, well possibly. In St Peter Port Guernsey you will be on the fish dock with the trawlers and you know what time they start work in the morning.

No thanks, for us small is good, able to get into all the pretty little harbours even during peak holiday periods, yet big enough for the two of us. Would we like a much larger yacht, of course. Is it affordable, no.

Pete
Hey Pete we come from Guernsey and I can tel you that a 60footer would cost around £40 a day and no electric as they would be on the outer pontoons. As you said we have a 32 Colvic Watson and she is plenty big enough for Sal and me to live on and we have everything you have in a house.
feelsgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 13:13   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Hey Pete we come from Guernsey and I can tel you that a 60footer would cost around £40 a day and no electric as they would be on the outer pontoons. As you said we have a 32 Colvic Watson and she is plenty big enough for Sal and me to live on and we have everything you have in a house.
Fg, we actually prefer the outer pontoons, sitting in the cockpit watching all the boats coming and going. Its now £20 a night for us at 31 feet. Someone tipped up with a big 60ft cat whilst we were there in August and promptly got shown towards the fishdock next to Boatworks. Lovely harbour, one of our favourites

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StPP.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	19575  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2010, 14:19   #79

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
So many dimensions for sizing

Compromises are inevitable when you're trying to match the boat to the crew and the boat's intended use. So, I don't trust blanket statements about whether bigger is better.

Some variables I thought about were

Crew -- health, strength, interests, mental flexibility, experience, budget, expectations of privacy and comfort. My wife is very petite, meaning she can't reach the ceiling handholds in some modern floating condos, nor reach the gooseneck and headboard on some boats. We don't need or want a boat with 7' saloon headroom (and the resulting windage)!

Boat -- Size does give some motion comfort and resistance to capsize, but it far away isn't the only factor that matters for sea-kindliness and safety. Two boats of the same LOA or displacement could have vastly different motions, capsize resistance, and seaworthiness. And the same could go for their cargo capacity, build quality, and the suitability of their design for ocean work vs. coastal work vs. "marina harbor queen" duty.

Use -- My wife and I would probably be perfectly happy coastal cruising in a 35'/11m with spritely performance. But if we wanted to live aboard and cross oceans, I bet we'd want a 44'/13.5m blue-water boat to hold our junk, provisions, & water without overloading, give us more privacy and comfort, have room for guests/crew for passages, eke out more miles per day on passage, etc.

As they, say, your mileage may vary, horses for courses, etc.

Why is a particular size (and design) of boat best for YOU and the kind of sailing you do?
Old 25-09-2010, 21:18   #80

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I've always wondered why fellows living in small boats get so angry when they're drunk.
Never experienced this problem myself : my boat though small in accommodations was re-fitted at Pantawee Boatyard in gorgeous Thai teak and it has the class of the bigger Hans Christians. When I sit back to a good bottle of red (Quite often one or more of the $5 “cleanskins” we score down here; the $9 ones are brilliant!) it is always about relaxing to a bit of classical music or a good radio program on ABC National or the BBC and a good book. All this in the ambiance of brass kero lanterns whilst being lulled along in harmony with the sea often after having experienced a wondrous sunset in a remote anchorage.

Getting back on land to other people’s crap is what usually brings out my Dr Jekyll!
Old 26-09-2010, 17:20   #81

Boat: a sailing boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
All this in the ambiance of brass kero lanterns whilst being lulled along in harmony with the sea often after having experienced a wondrous sunset in a remote anchorage.
I can assure you that all the above (just be careful with the kero lanterns) you can have aboard a Wally too.

Although, due to draft restrictions, we will be anchored further off the beach.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 18:18   #82

Boat: Tartan 34C
Absolutamously

Of course size matters!

The size of your boat, the size of your wallet, the size of your plans, the size of your timeframe.......

.....and bigger is not always better.

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2010, 22:03   #83

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
But probably bigger would be better if were the duration of your cruising?
Old 27-09-2010, 00:38   #84

I heard recently that all women are satisfied with 2 1/2 inches as long as it comes as a visa or master card
beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 07:57   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post

Of course size matters!

.....and bigger is not always better.

John
!!!

Nailed.

b.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:06   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
But probably bigger would be better if were the duration of your cruising?
Probably only in remote areas.

The easy route (s.c. coconut milk run) does not call for amts of food / water beyond capacity of any normal cruising boat. E.g. A H28 is a 'go everywhere' in this respect. Boats below say 25' LWL probably for a solo sailor only.

b.
Old 27-09-2010, 08:32   #87
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
biggwr 8isw not always better. cruising boat s should have plenty of area for stowage.

the men who measure poorly and then tell the woman the 2 1/2 inches they sport is actually 10 in, those men are better off without any mate. partnerships cannot be based on lies and false statements. and especially those thinking women are money oriented. men taught women that bit, so keep it. and keep it to yourself, unless you are bragging at how well you taught your woman to be a gold digger. go figger. karma happens.

when you grow respect for the lady again, then maybe she might want to sail with you. much of man's inability to deal with females is their own insecurity and their own feeling of inadequacy and their own feeling of what is yours is now mine-- control freeks -- and men actually blame women for this!!!! lol--we learned from you-- so until you guys can find a fix for it, dont gripe.

n0w, as for size of BOATS -- 35-40 ft seems to be a good size for most to sail- can be single sailed or short handed sailed without problems too big to handle. some larger boats are able to be sailed short handed--- but i prefer 40 ft for more than one person. i sailed a 37 ft performance cruiser with a friend for a near year, and found sometimes was too small for 2..LOL....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 09:16   #88
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Go get em Zee....

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:12   #89
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post

We (my wife and I) own and sail a 61. the headboard is 12 foot off the deck.

Thats alright. I'm 13 feet on a good day

I would cruise a 60 footer.
The one I aspire to is a 46. Theres one 54 I like a lot, but then they screw up the 58... Though I saw a Janneau 57 today from the outside that looks mighty fine.

Its budgetry of the intitial purchese more than the on going costs although obviously they would be a factor going from 39 to 60....

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 10:18   #90
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
goin gfrom 26'-35 ft is , maintennce wise, add 100 dollars more for the extra few ft. from 35-41 was 1000 more... so , doing work by self is good thing to be able to do to keep the costs down. docking is a lot more also---mine are moored so i dont pay a per foot fee--just a monthly fee..whew----the per foot fee can get ye if you're not ready for that...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote