Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2017, 17:40   #1

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989
Don't Ask For Whom The TOW IS NEEDED, It ls For You

Dear All CFers
I can speak my mouth, not yours.
We saw the (questionable, to some) narration of a miserable act of greediness on the shoulders of a young, enthusiastic, inexperienced sailing couple.

We all lent sympathetic ears, and were rich in admonishment, caveats, legal advices...

But distress, discouragement, disbelief remained!

The boat's name is MISCONDUCT, quite weird! Well, with a modest act I want to be part of that story.
All we salty guys know a lot, yet each wave is for further learning.
I want to thank Carebear, for her detailed experience will be helpful to the ones to come.

Symbolically, i also want to thank CF and its community for its valuable efforts in keeping all of us connected.

What happened also teaches us humility, awareness of the needy (not of a TOW, but of human consideration free of judgement), and fraternity.
This is a young couple who met a pair of ********, and l want to show these young people that the world is not lost, if unknown distant people can remain friendly and (minimally) supportive.

Many thanks to the bright guy who opened the funding. It is for encouraging GOODWILL, NOT ABOUT CHARITY
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:23   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Don't Ask For Whom The TOW IS NEEDED, It ls For You

The closed thread started with an URGENT. ....ASAP.... request for help which we all responded to with advice and suggestions

After many post the knowledge that the 40 year old husband was in fact a diesel mechanic and all they needed was local parts knowledge to fix a blown head gasket.

It also became apparent that this was not a financial emergency, but an inconvenience due to repeated drives down to fix the boat, which was now in a stable condition at a new dock.

When the Go-fund link was presented, I compared this to the young French solo sailor whose yacht drifted to Sea while clearing Customs leaving him with just the clothes on his back and a few dollars in his pocket.

In that case the CF community responded generously to help him financially.
To help him find his boat and get back on his feet.....
This Solo sailor also promised to pay every penny back as he viewed it only as a loan.

I compared that emergency to Carebear who live within driving distance and both are employed

I simply questioned whether this type of solicitation was appropriate?

We all can make up our own minds without shaming, but this financial request did not ring my bell
[emoji111]
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 18:28   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Don't Ask For Whom The TOW IS NEEDED, It ls For You

I ask again: Did you really need to start two separate threads to perpetuate this go-fund-me scamheme?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote