Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 09:48   #31
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7
Re: Driving to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a pickle View Post
May i ask what day and at what time did you drive it? thanks
That wasn't my post, but that's the point. If you drive US1 on Friday afternoon, you're going to hate it. I plan my drive away from the busiest times and have no problems. Yep, there's a little traffic, but how often do you get to drive out over the ocean like that?
Love the keys, enjoy the drive.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:53   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Wow....REALLY? I didn't experience ANY of that last month when I was there....except for maybe a few drunk tourists. Public SEX and NUDITY?....sorry I missed THAT.
Guess you missed New Years Eve. Conch festivals also bring out the uninhibited.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:54   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by In a pickle View Post
May i ask what day and at what time did you drive it? thanks
Sure.....going down we passed thru Miami early afternoon.....it was a week day. I do remember a few school buses slowing things down a bit in Key Largo. But arrived at Isla Morada in time for Happy Hour.

We left Key West a few days later in the morning...not super early.

According to a local, we were there in a lull period before the holidays.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Guess you missed New Years Eve. Conch festivals also bring out the uninhibited.
I'm sure.....I was actually expecting to see MORE than we actually did.

As far as crowds...there were 2 cruise ships there the day we arrived.....one left at sunset. But again, not bad at all. Fisherman's Wharf and Union Square in San Francisco are usually MUCH more crowded than anything I saw in Key West, with a helluva lot more homeless people too.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:57   #35

Boat: 2006 Jeanneau SO 37

Take the ferry boat from Naples and rent bicycles in Key West! Official Website of Key West Express
GulfportBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:27   #36

Boat: Carver 325 Aft Cabin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfportBarb View Post
Take the ferry boat from Naples and rent bicycles in Key West! Official Website of Key West Express
That is a good plan, in my opinion. Having a car in Key West can be more hassle than help. Parking is almost impossible, so you end up leaving your car in the hotel parking and walking or biking. You can easily get around on bicycles. We spent New Years there and stayed at a very nice small hotel about 5 blocks off Duval and it was plenty quiet. The hotel had bicycles. If we fly in to KW, we take a cab from the airport to the hotel and get around on bikes. Duval is about the last reason we like KW. I second the suggestion to take the day trip on the ferry to The Dry Tortugas. Fun and interesting trip. On a side note, the clerk at the hotel said driving time was 8 hours from Ft. Lauderdale on New Years Eve day.
damaib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:29   #37

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

You don't want to be on the bridges when nuclear terrorists (Jihad types) are driving vans across them. Especially if Marine Harriers are on a bombing run to take out the bridge before they cross. Saw it happen with my own eyes on "True Lies"....now you really have something to worry about...smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:37   #38

Boat: csy 37

The "tall" bridges are now standard 65' clearance over channels. Nothing at all like the old Bahia Honda bridge, where we drove more than 90' over the water, and that on a narrow two lane steel bridge with just an old railroad rail to keep you from going over the side. Was a scary ride back in the 70's and 80's before they built the new highways and bridges.

But it came with a great reward. It kept all the tourists out of Key West. Used to be a great place back then. You had to be a little crazy to drive that road from the mainland, which is probably why only the crazies inhabited the place....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:39   #39

Not just deranged terrorists, but also drug runners ramming their boats into the supports,wiping out the bridges; rabid tea partiers invading and destroying Key West; all the assorted incurable tropical diseases that are laying waste to the Caribbean. Lots of things to worry about. Biggest threat is the lack of toilet paper.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:06   #40

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I have driven to Key West at least 20 times in my life. It used to have rickety bridges and roads but not any more. The roads and brides are fine. We usually stop in Marathon or other keys for a water, bite and break. There is no place in the world like Key West...Must go to Malory Square before sunset for all the free shows...excellent entertainment...One of the best places in the world to people watch...it is historic and entertaining...I travelled all over the world on business and I still think Key West is always worth the drive. In fact, the drive past the turquois blue water on a sunny day is fabulous!!! That is one of the reasons people go there. Talk about attitude adjustment ...All of the Keys are attitude adjustment...Yes I had a friend who said it was too crowded for him when the cruise ships are in but we do not go there just to walk up and down Duval St. Its the restaurants and the places the locals go that are the best. Hope you go and enjoy it...If you can take a 25 degree heal on your sail boat you should be fine on any bridge going out there...Atlanta's freeways at rush hour are way worse IMHO.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:08   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infatuation View Post
Its the restaurants and the places the locals go that are the best.

Which ones would they be?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:19   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331

I have done the drive a few times and really enjoy it. If you are not in a big hurry spend a night on Islamorada Key. Lots of cool little motels on the water. Great snorkeling.
Liam Wald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:21   #43

You don't describe when your bridge ordeal started but I would guess the primary driver's problem started after wearing corrective eye glasses. If you don't wear corrective lens, don't disregard this comment, it is a visual problem. Similar experience with roller coasters & ski lifts & outside-the-bldg elevators. Unfortunately the driver cannot close their eyes for relief. There is a visual link to the brain that is connected to the body's fight or flight mechanism and is automatic. When out-of-sync there can be more than a little discomfort. If this started with a new Rx, wear your old ones when on the trip. If you have a pair of very dark sunglasses, put them on. Crossing the bridge at night (very dark) will help. If there are any adverse bridges near where you live, try many suggestions on those before your trip. You will enjoy KW!
winjamerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:30   #44

Yes...the trick is to pick a time when the traffic will be the lightest...like during the week and NOT the weekend ...like do not drive in on a Friday evening with all the other weekenders...nor should you drive out on Sunday evening...Like I have said...I have been there 20 times and have never seen sex or drugs or nakedness in the street...OK maybe if you go at Halloween. Just don't pick and holiday or weekend if you can avoid it. We can drive to Key West from St. Petersburg Fl. in 7 or 8 hours easy...and it is probably 350 to 400 miles from here.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:47   #45

You have to ask around to find where the locals go but we like Pepe's...there are so many restaurants and bars it can be overwhelming...try going to the marinas and asking some boaters where the locals go..

Tags
key west