Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 13:14   #46

Re: Driving to Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perstarebob View Post
If you are afraid of the height , why not fly ?
Don't planes fly higher than 70 feet?
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:23   #47

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

The drive from Miami to Key West is all thruway until you hit Miami. That last hundred miles through the keys is not much fun. It is still a lot of 2 lane stretches where the slowest driver sets the speed. Depending on your timing and luck it can be 2 or a frustrating 4 hours. In the evening there is no shortage of drunks to watch for. The bridges are no big deal, not high enough to have dangerous cross winds unless a gale is blowing. I think. the best time to drive it is after 3AM, minimal traffic. You do not want to reach Miami between 4 and 8 PM when the 4 lanes of route 1 frequently jam up.

Key West is a fun tourist trap. Its crowded, expensive and very active. Great if relaxing is not on the agenda. The restaurants are goo and so is the nightlife. There are lots of things to do in the daytime. If that is not your cup of tea stop in one of the many quieter places you pass enroute.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 13:26   #48

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
like do not drive in on a Friday evening with all the other weekenders...nor should you drive out on Sunday evening...
The OP hasn't checked in since yesterday, but this advice is spot on. Driving through the Keys is a terrific experience. Just don't be in a hurry to get down to Key West. There are a lot of things along the way that shouldn't be missed.

Feed the tarpon at Robbie's in Islamorada.

Stop at World Wide Sportsmen (Bass Pro), not just to go inside, but walk the docks. You will see all sorts of fish around the pilings, parrotfish, ornamental tropical, and on every trip down I have seen nurse sharks laying in the shallows.

Also, walk out on the old bridge at Bahia Honda State Park. Spectacular view.

Pull over in Marathon, Get a burger at Burdines, get a view of Boot Key Harbor, probably the most sailboat masts you will ever see......

Then when you get to Key Weird, get a cigar, sit out on the balcony at the Whistle Bar and watch the weirdos go by. That's why you made the trip. If you want normal, stay home.

Also some of the OFF Duval Street places that are worth the side trip, the Green Parrot is a dump that has some of the best bands in KW. Dante's has it's own pool and the "scenery" is spectacular. If you want a incredible dinner, although pricey, go to the A&B Lobster House.

I told my wife the last time we were there, that KW is the place people spend lots of money to get to, to eat and drink in places that would be condemned in their home town.

Can't wait to go again........
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 15:28   #49

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
..., and there is a really long, high one (7 miles), ....
That's one high bridge!
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 15:59   #50

Boat: Albin 25

We flew from Lauderdale to Key West on a 6-seater, cost less than $100 each. Drove back to Miami at night, seemed like a normal highway, couldn't tell we were on a bridge.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:04   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

FWIW there is a web site with a calendar of when cruise ships are in Key West. On those days, if two ships are in, then 5,000 of your new best friends will also be there. Without the cruise ships, nice party town for frat boys or "independent souls". The bridges are no worse than many interstate highway flyways or cloverleafs, unless there's blinding rain at the moment.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:52   #52

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Just drove it last month and I also do not like high bridges. The bridges are not bad at all and most have high concrete guard rails. In fact, if you drive a small car, you can't really see over the side.

You will be good and I agree with the car thing. The taxies are horrible and SUPER expensive. Enjoy!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 18:01   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
The drive to Key West is horrendous.
Its like cruising. Don't plan on a schedule & don't be in a hurry. Don't mind if those around you choose to do stupid stuff. Just give them space. Enjoy the view and stop to explore the interesting gunk holes.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:00   #54

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Davy J, thanks for the ideas mate. My wife and I will be down in KW early april and u just gave me a lot of great ideas...I owe you....smile
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 20:06   #55

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

I see some of you folks are old timers, so am I. I started going down to Key West as a young lad back in the fifties. Key West has lost its appeal for me. A lot of its character has been lost due to tourism. And the prices of course has sky-rocketed. The drive is still beautiful though and there is still some interesting things to see and do. Hemingway's house is a must. Sure, everyone should see Key West at least once.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 00:53   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
My wife and I would like to drive to Key West, but neither of us particularly like tall bridges. (We'd prefer to sail there, but our boat is in a lake near Atlanta, GA) If anyone knows, what is the tallest span on the trip? I believe it is in the 7 mile bridge, but I can't get any details on how tall.

If we go, what would you suggest? We've heard that when the cruise ships come in you can barely walk down the street.
I am from Australia, I try to drive to Key West every year, I love the drive! Also I am driving on the wrong side of the road as well! Still the nicest drive I have ever done!
fnoldsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 03:43   #57

Karma is a bich! I HAD a girlfriend who had a phobia of heights when crossing high bridges I would let off the throttle an tell her the car had a problem I KNOW I KNOW
NOW guess who is having anxiety on high bridges ?
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 05:45   #58

Most of the bridges are 25 feet off the water. They are wide modern 2 lane roadways.

The high bridges are only high over the boat channels. Even the 7 mile bridge is 6.5 miles of low causeway.

There is one steel deck bridge, if I remember but it is a draw bridge, so not high at all.

With the concrete safety walls in both sides, you may not even feel the height.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:18   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post
Don't planes fly higher than 70 feet?
For most people who are afraid of heights there is a significant difference between altitude and heights, My Father was a very avid pilot, who was afraid of heights
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2016, 06:27   #60
RKO

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
I see some of you folks are old timers, so am I. I started going down to Key West as a young lad back in the fifties. Key West has lost its appeal for me. A lot of its character has been lost due to tourism. And the prices of course has sky-rocketed. The drive is still beautiful though and there is still some interesting things to see and do. Hemingway's house is a must. Sure, everyone should see Key West at least once.
Sadly this is true. I didn't start going down until the 80's but the difference even in the last 10-15 years is startling. Key West has sold out to multinational corporations. I still visit for a day or 2 when I'm down there, but usually stay in the Islamorada islands.
RKO is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west