Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 08:47   #61

Re: Driving to Key West

Watch out for the Harriers (in evidence at the 45 second mark

paxfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:47   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Decades ago, the folks who run the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel (which is one hell of an offshore excursion) got tired of responding to parked cars, several miles out on the complex, where the driver had a panic attack and simply stopped the car. So they started a free program, you can simply ASK at either end, and they'll have a driver take you, in your car, across to the other end and dry land again.

There's a fairly high old bridge over the Hudson in NY that must be barely 1/4 mile long, that has the same type of program for the same reason.

And NYC's Whitestone bridge, over LI Sound, was originally built so openly that it swayed in high winds and people panicked. There's a boxy set of reinforcing beams bolted onto the bridge railings now, most people have no idea they are not original. Before the last budget crisis, there was actually a plan under way to have them removed and have the original work restored, with some "aerodynamics" hiding under the bridge instead to stop the swaying.

Panic attacks in high places, wide public places, crowded places, nothing unusual there. Most of them have greek and roman names, because they go back so far, so commonly.

You know what they call people who have no fear of anything? "Dead". Sooner or later, something's gonna get you.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:19   #63

I Was actually hoping to ride it on my motorcycle when I can get the opportunity. I live in upstate SC, so it will be quite a haul..just gotta convince the wife.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 11:29   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
I Was actually hoping to ride it on my motorcycle when I can get the opportunity. I live in upstate SC, so it will be quite a haul..just gotta convince the wife.

I see people doing that every time I drive down. Just take your time and that would actually be a pretty nice trip.

The reason it's horrendous in a car is because it's fairly slow-going, but that's actually nice on a motorcycle, as long as whoever is behind you gives you a little space.

Some people are idiots on that route, as they think if they tailgate or pass the car in front of them they'll get there faster. You know what? They get there the same time you do.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:07   #65

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Just drove down to Key West yesterday to work at the airport (currently having a bite at the conch flyer). This is the first time I made the trip at night. When it's dark out you can barely even tell you're in the keys. Key largo looked just like US1 in Cocoa. Maybe try driving the bridges at night?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west