Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2018, 20:08   #16

Boat: Bavaria Nautitech Open 40
Re: Dutchman sail flaking system

I happen to know Martin van Breems, the inventor of the Dutchman system. I forwarded the post to Martin to see if he had any thoughts and he asked me to post the following:

a. Slide friction is the biggest cause of a sail being difficult to raise and lower. Older masts, painted masts, (as the inside surface of the mast wears, corrosion increases), slug type mast grooves and full battens all make the problem worse. Anodized masts with flat slides are the best. Occasionally mains are fitted with SS slides, which really chew up the mast track. Many masthead sheaves are plastic and some will distort with time. Have one person on one end of the halyard and one on the other, similar weight if possible, hang and jump to see if the sheave is ok. Crummy turning blocks at the base of the mast can also add significant friction, which is why it is generally much easier to raise the sail at the mast.

b. Besides switching to a low friction masthead sheave (the Harken roller bearing sheaves are the best if they fit, the Schaefer sheaves with composite bushing also good), cleaning and lubricating the mast track with MacLube or Elmers Slide All (the best rated product from a test several years ago), or switching to a UHMW track will help solve the friction problems.

c. The Dutchman will not add significant friction to the sail going up and down. Of course, the sail should be luffing as it is raised and lowered. The sheet should be eased out till the sail is luffing. Closer to the wind is better with the vang tight.

Hope this helps

Martin van Breems, President Dutchmar
Wave_length is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:05   #17

Boat: J42

Another negative is the Dutchman is not a good choice with laminated mains. Our 3DL main split neatly leech to luff along the 4th crease above the boom after 4 seasons, The kevlar stress fatigued.
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:29   #18
Marine Service Provider

I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but with all due respect, I think your remarks point up the need to understand (which I don't) not just the advantages but also the disadvantages of "high tech" sails. Several years ago I had a spectacular mylar genoa, which we bought with a boat. After an initial inspection, it was in the bag for a few years and when we finally got ready to put it up and exalt in its majesty, it had delaminated in hundreds of patches. Our fault - we didn't know enough about that type of sail. The local school supply depot really appreciated the donation, which we are told was used in hundreds of middle school sewing projects, mostly making book bags.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

John Mardall
Vetus Maxwell Group.
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 16:23   #19

Boat: J42

Hi John
No disrepect taken. The 3DL sails were racing tools from the PO. I replaced the main and #2 when it also gave in with appropriate dacron.

Cheers
Bill
Boston Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail