Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2009, 06:53   #1

Earn a Captain's License on a Charter Vacation?

If this even exists, who would offer them? My family has been boating since I was born (I'm 22) and we have a Starwind 223 that has been used yearly untill everyone started going to college. My father has been sailing in the Caribbean and on lake Erie in a larger boat a few times so my family and I have enough information to be dangerous and we would all like to have a productive vacation. Preferred locations would be USVI or other northern Caribbean location. I can provide more information if needed.
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:03   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Sorry the answer is no. While it might be possible to cover the course work there is a great deal more, there is the exam, fingerprinting, physical, drug testing, letters of reference, an oath before a coast guard officer. In addition you will have to document sea time. And nowadays apply for a TWIC card from homeland security. The license is good for five years and then must be renewed.

Based upon what you write, I would suggest that you look into something like an ASA sailing school where you can accumulate certificates showing competency in a keel boat or catamaran, bareboat charter, piloting, navigation etc. These courses usually have prerequisites so enquire with whatever sailing school interests you. There are plenty in the USVI or the Caribbean.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:08   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
The Coast Guard does not make it that easy. You need one year of sea time within the past five years.

The requirements are in this website. USCG National Maritime Center

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 07:21   #4

Thanks for the information, I guess we will just enjoy ourselves instead!
malovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2009, 11:40   #5

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
You may be confusing the ASA type classes that offer a vacation while earning the charter boat certification which is 3 classes compressed into about 10 days living on a boat.

This is not a USCG licensing type class and you do have to go through several hoops including a face to face with the USCG officials,

Tags
license, vacation