Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 07:34   #31

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: East Coast US Sights

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I'm happy for the responses

But I'm starting to think I've seen everything.
No worries, here in NYC we now have the Museum of Math!!! Yes, I sense your excitement.
https://momath.org/

If that doesn't do it for you, there's always the Museum of Sex (Museum of Sex | NYC). If you're not careful though you'll have to go back to the Museum of Math (one plus one equals three?)
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 07:53   #32

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

Ok I'll throw out some other suggestions. New London CT has kind of a funky art scene and a fun downtown. They also have public moorings right off downtown.
If your on LIS in the fall a long trip up the Hudson or CT river in the fall is beautiful.
If you do get to NS Bras d'or lake is fantastic.
Old 03-04-2018, 08:20   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
When you stop in Stamford, CT, go up the road, take two rights and a left, then walk a half mile, third house on the right.

My friends Bob & Trudi might have no clue who you are, but when you mention my name they will be sure to throw you right out.

You ain't seen nuttin' yet........
That sounds fun. I’m been to Stamford many times and think I need better directions. Can you ask them for the address for me and I will google map it.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:05   #34

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

I would not miss Long Island Sound. There are lots of things to see there, all within day sail.
Here are some of my favorite:
-Oyster Bay,
-The Thimbles,
- All the area around the Gardiners bay and Peconic bay, Montauk,
- Martha Vineyard Island, Nantucket,
- Go over Woods Hole and Quissett Harbor,
- Go over Cap Cod Canal and reach Provincetown,

The enjoy all this, remember to get the Eldridge Tide and Pilot Book to help figure out currents into that area.
- Visit Plymouth and the first settlements...
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:25   #35

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
...Don't tell me about guidebooks. I', amazed at how "nice" they can make a crap hole sound like...
We've noticed that too; based on going up/down twice as foreign/visiting yotties we would list our highlights/favourites:

Washington DC/Potomac River - New York City - Dry Tortugas - Chesapeake Bay (don't ignore the eastern shore) Wrightsville Beach - Maine (it would be higher with some warmer water) Charleston - ICW between Beaufort (the NC one) and Norfolk Virginia, particularly Oriental - Beaufort (that's Bu-fort SC not the tide ripped Bo-fort in NC) - the ICW from Fort Pierce to St Augustine - Miami Beach - but only for a short while.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:09   #36

If you get all the way to Maine Acadia/Mt Desert National Park is a hoot. Great hiking trails, etc. Also in same vicinity Bar Harbor, Southport, Boothbay Harbor, Sommes Sound, etc. Most of the time you can get lobsters and crabs off the lobstermen for 1/2 the supermarket prices.

In MA Rockport is a nice stop. Tie up at the famous "Motiff No. 1" building for 50c-$1 a foot (could be a bit higher by now). Marblehead/Salem area also is worth a day or two of exploration, just walking around, taking in the sights and sounds of the US Navy birthplace. Some hopping salty dog bars with fun loud nautical crowd, if you're into that sort of thing. ))

Provincetown is fun on the weekend, kind of like New England's Key West. Also Nantucket and MV are good stops.

RI of course Newport and vicinity incl. Block Island.

If you do decide to stop in Salem Harbor area and will need a mooring, let me know and I will put you in touch with my mooring guy as they always have something available at a very decent rate. Otherwise you should be able to anchor for free at the outer edge of the mooring field, still close to land a dinghy ashore. Unless of course Nor'easter is in the forcast.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:08   #37

Boat: Colegate 26

What sort of stuff are you interested in? History, culture, sports, art, cuisine ... ?

I'm curious about lots of stuff, and a while ago created a Google map to keep track of things I see on the internet that I'd like to visit if I'm ever in the neighborhood.

Unfortunately I haven't been very good about including much information in the object descriptions on my map. And there are several things in there that I used to populate the map early on which haven't been removed.

But the concept is good and I look forward to adding more things to it and also visiting stuff when possible.

In addition to my random list of things, I also thoroughly enjoy Tom Scott's adventures. Someone has assembled a map of the destinations in his videos and I hope to visit many of those as well, but haven't specifically added them to my list personal list ... yet.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:44   #38

Quote:
That sounds fun. I’m been to Stamford many times and think I need better directions. Can you ask them for the address for me and I will google map it.
I would, but the witless protection system won't let me.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 13:45   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
What sort of stuff are you interested in? History, culture, sports, art, cuisine ... ?
yes, but not the sports very much
Old 04-04-2018, 14:38   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 1991

Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown.
Rising Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 12:51   #41

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Sitting in Fernandina Beach FL waiting to finish some dental work and for it to warm up a little to go North. My general plan is to go north till about beginning of September then turning back around and going south again. Would like to go see Nova Scotia, but it doesn't really matter how far north we get.

Looking for recommendations of things to see and experience on the trip. This is your chance to prove to a clueless cruiser that you cruise/sail/motor in a nice area and can prove it with your recommended spot.

Don't tell me about guidebooks. I', amazed at how "nice" they can make a crap hole sound like. Was doing the same research the other day and I was reading the descriptions of some of the places to my wife that we had already been to and she started laughing.
A few favorites come to mind:

If you want to go up the Chesapeake then Rock Hall, Annapolis, and we rode-out Sandy in Inner Harbor, Baltimore - well protected but a lot of trash in the water. Enjoyed the bars and restaurants.

I really like Stonington and Mystic, worth the stop.

Newport is cool but very expensive and crowed so we only stop occasionally. Love the Black Pearl Bar - Great Chowder.

If you haven't stopped at Gloucester, MA you should. We have skipped it every year on the way to Maine except last year. Decided it was time to check it out. We thought it was mostly a fishing harbor but the town has really transformed and welcome cruisers. It was reasonable, friendly, good restaurants, enjoyed the walk around town. The Crow's Nest Bar in town is a great dive bar. Its a good stop for a beer and chat with the bartender about the Movie the Perfect Storm and the Town, nice maritime museum. We Plan to stop again.

Other one or two night stops, Cuttyhunk harbor, Hadley Harbor (free moorings), Marta's Vineyard. Block Island is cool but always fogged in when we pass by.

But just can't say enough about Maine - always excited to get there.

Edit: We Went to NS two years ago left last week of July and had to return the last week of August. And as state above that was not nearly enough time. There is as much to see on the east coast of NS as there is on the coast of Maine. We just wet our appetite. Never though I would say this but I want to cruise all the way to Newfoundland now. But I'm not fond of cold.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:56   #42

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
If you get all the way to Maine Acadia/Mt Desert National Park is a hoot.
Is there any advantage of sailing there over driving? Just asking, I have not made it there yet.

Unfortunately, most POIs recommended in this thread can be easily reached by land with a few exceptins such as Block Island. However, there is absolutely nothing to do on Block Island. At least it was the case 20 years ago when I sailed there. The biggest attraction was an ice cream shop. That and watching a crowd leaving the pond after a strong cold front was announced on the NOAA radio channel.

This thread would definitely benefit from listing boat-exclusive destinations along with noting what makes the place attractive. For example, “Cuttyhunk, MA - you can have pizza delivered to your anchored boat. Waters off Cape Cod - whale watch. Fire Island, NY - *babe watch*.”
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 14:12   #43

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
I'm happy for the responses

But I'm starting to think I've seen everything.
Ok Not East Coast US, but, by all means, sail to NS you will enjoy it.

We left from Boothbay and it took 36 hrs to Shelburne NS to check in. We didn't have any wind for the crossing and motored the whole way, only boring part of the trip. knew we would pay for it on the return. However, we had good wind, a little sporty off Cape Sable and fog on the return all the way to the mooring in Boothbay.

I know many boats leave from Cape Cod area and sail direct to save time. I wish we had done that as a Month on the Eastern shore of NS is not enough time to really see the sights. Although, you only save a day or two sailing direct. You really need a minimum of 6 weeks, 8 would be better.

We will go back to see the Bras d'or lake when I can escape this business.

search YouTube to wet your appetite.
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast