Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2014, 12:51   #16

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Easybreath Snorkeling Mask

You could always sell them in Colorado as a bong accessory.
Old 31-05-2014, 13:42   #17

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

I'll condemn it without trying it. The mask is far too large, too much water resistance from the maks and the thingys on top of the snorkel. The large volume would affect the depth of your dives as well. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 14:29   #18

Boat: Montevideo 43'

Hi, I've been reading and researching a couple of things on the forum but this is my first post.
I'm a commercial diver working all over the world mostly in oil related jobs. When I'm home I freedive and play underwater hockey among other things. Those full face masks for snorkeling are just a gimmick. They are actually dangerous. The hats that we use for commercial work has got a rubber piece on the inside that goes over your nose and mouth. That helps to flush the CO2 out of the hat. There is also a flush valve that helps with that.
I won't waste money on those Easybreath Snorkeling Masks.
Downline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 14:35   #19

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Downline.
Old 31-05-2014, 15:06   #20

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downline View Post
Hi, I've been reading and researching a couple of things on the forum but this is my first post.
I'm a commercial diver working all over the world mostly in oil related jobs. When I'm home I freedive and play underwater hockey among other things. Those full face masks for snorkeling are just a gimmick. They are actually dangerous. The hats that we use for commercial work has got a rubber piece on the inside that goes over your nose and mouth. That helps to flush the CO2 out of the hat. There is also a flush valve that helps with that.
I won't waste money on those Easybreath Snorkeling Masks.
Welcome Downline. Freediving and underwater hockey were also my sports as a youth.

Cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 16:08   #21

Hi guys. Thanks for the warm welcome.
Downunder, I must confess that I'm not a youth in years anymore. I did spend some time in Tasmania and Aus in 2000 during U/W hockey worldchamps.
Old 31-05-2014, 16:34   #22
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
I'll condemn it without trying it. The mask is far too large, too much water resistance from the maks and the thingys on top of the snorkel. The large volume would affect the depth of your dives as well. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
I am a dive instructor and understand mask squeeze and basic snorkeling education.

No where in their design marketing do they claim it can be used for freediving

It was designed as a surface tool to help people with problems and phobias over using a snorkel.

Some people forget to vigorously clear the snorkel before inhaling and develop a gag reflex when first learning with a mouthpiece.

This could be a useful way for them to enjoy surface snorkeling to build up their confidence.

So would not condemn it without trying for the purpose intended.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2014, 17:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I am a dive instructor and understand mask squeeze and basic snorkeling education.

No where in their design marketing do they claim it can be used for freediving

It was designed as a surface tool to help people with problems and phobias over using a snorkel.

Some people forget to vigorously clear the snorkel before inhaling and develop a gag reflex when first learning with a mouthpiece.

This could be a useful way for them to enjoy surface snorkeling to build up their confidence.

So would not condemn it without trying for the purpose intended.
I understand from the design that it is just a tool to swim with on the surface. The problem is that it's got a big volume with a lot of dead space. There is no practical way to flush it and get rid of the CO2. You will see that most freedivers even spit out the snorkel. The CO2 and dead space in the snorkel is one of the reasons.
Old 31-05-2014, 17:52   #24
CF Adviser

Hi Downline.....I agree.. That Co2 build up was my first concern as well as fogging.

Then I noticed on their site that all the air exchanges are kept mostly below the nose piece

So judgement is still out till I try it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401583923305.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	82167  
Old 31-05-2014, 20:34   #25

They also look expensive if made of good quality material.

Given that they would be a very expensive solution for a few perhaps those individuals possibly need to learn to swim properly and become more confident in the water first to overcome their snorkeling issues. Phobias usually indicate a water safety problem.

I have on several cases had to reject prospective scuba divers for courses until they went back to basics and learnt how to swim.
Old 31-05-2014, 21:27   #26
CF Adviser

Saw a quote for about 40 Euros.
Have taught people to scuba dive with major physical disabilities and often you are helping them to overcome psychological ones as well.

An enhanced gag reflex with a snorkel is purely psychological and this product could help them to relax at first.

I see this as being mostly popular with the occasional resort swimmer who wants to look at the fishes.

Grandma would love to try it..)
Old 31-05-2014, 21:49   #27

Downunder. I'm not involved in scuba instructions or teaching and don't really know how that subject is approached by the people doing it. Something like the Easybreath Snorkeling Mask could be useful at some stages for some people.

I do agree with you that there is no substitute for the basics.

That mask needs to be very well made to be effective. People don't all have the same shape faces. I just see the hassle that I have to find a good freediving mask to fit my face. The commercial divers hats like the Kirby Morgan 37 got an insert that fits over your nose and mouth. Those hats are expensive and very well made. The nose and mouth piece in diving hats hardly ever fits properly and you still have to use the flush valve to get rid of the CO2 build up.

Easybreath Snorkeling Mask just sounds like an expensive piece of equipment that will hopefully tide you over till you sort the problem out.
Old 31-05-2014, 22:02   #28

Quote:
Have taught people to scuba dive with major physical disabilities and often you are helping them to overcome psychological ones as well.

An enhanced gag reflex with a snorkel is purely psychological and this product could help them to relax at first.

I see this as being mostly popular with the occasional resort swimmer who wants to look at the fishes.

Pelagic. I understand what you are saying and it sounds like it can be a good teaching aide.
Old 31-05-2014, 22:08   #29

Quote:

That will be the market for sure.