Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2022, 00:27   #1

Boat: HR 34
ECMWF

Like the UK Met Office, ECMWF has always charged for its GRIB data. PredictWind did some form of deal, I have no idea about details, and now provides both ECMWF and UK GRIB data products to its paying customers. As a loss leader, I understand that they make limited amounts of data freely available. Some while ago, I cannot give the date, Windy.com began providing ECMWF GRIB information on their app. As they also have a commercial weather service, I guess that they also pay ECMWF and that the rest of us freeloaders benefit.

Recently, I noticed that Ventusky.com also had ECMWF GRIBs on their browser version but not (yet?) on their app. Then, when using the WeatherTrack app, I saw that they, too, had ECMWF data as one of their many options, https://www.weathertrack.app/. Only on IOS.

Experimenting with the app, I saw that they provide the data only on a 0.4 degree resolution, not on the full 0.1 degree as PredictWind say that they do. As there is smoothing in all NWP models, the effective resolution of any model is around 5 grid lengths. Consequently, there should be no loss of real information using WeatherTrack as opposed to paying PW, at least for a limited range of elements, wind, pressure, temperature. I surmise that both Windy and Ventusky are also using the 0.4 degree data in their apps. While these are two good presentations, I always wonder and have never checked the download costs of either. The advantage of WeatherTrack is that you can control download size , useful when roaming and more so over a satphone data connection.

I have to wonder when the Met Office will also be providing its GRIB data as freely as other Met services. A letter that I wrote to the Royal Met Society has brought no apparent change of heart yet.

Does anyone have any more information on these issues? Any corrections or additional information?
franksingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 02:06   #2

Re: ECMWF

Perhaps I did not search well enough, quite likely, I am still not sure. But, after contacts with Ventusky, WeatherTrack and OpenGribs, I have now seen*https://confluence.ecmwf.int/display...ta+-+Real+Time. I have not followed every link here, but it is now clear that ECMWF is quite content for their data to be used with due acknowledgement. Further, a limited amount of data are available at no charge. These are Wind, Temperature and Wave height.

The question now is when and whether the Met Office will follow suit. They are, effectively, joint owners of ECMWF. Continued refusal to provide GRIB data looks odd.We
Old 08-05-2022, 06:54   #3

One thing leads to another. In my searching I looked at Saildocs to find that they now provide ICON and ECMWF GRIBs aswell as GFS and others including ocean currents. I have put a Page on my site, SailDocs Models - Franks-Weather - The Weather Window .This is taken from a rather long, unwieldy Saildocs write up

For many, Saildocs may seem for the nerds. However, for anyone with limited bandwidth, using email over satphone, HF/SSB radio or just with poor connections, it is the most efficient and flexible of all GRIB services.
Old 08-05-2022, 21:20   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Tanna 47
Thumbs up Re: ECMWF

Quote:
Originally Posted by franksingleton View Post
One thing leads to another. In my searching I looked at Saildocs to find that they now provide ICON and ECMWF GRIBs aswell as GFS and others including ocean currents. I have put a Page on my site, SailDocs Models - Franks-Weather - The Weather Window .This is taken from a rather long, unwieldy Saildocs write up

For many, Saildocs may seem for the nerds. However, for anyone with limited bandwidth, using email over satphone, HF/SSB radio or just with poor connections, it is the most efficient and flexible of all GRIB services.
Super helpful site Frank. Thanks for posting. Are your approx update times in GMT or other?
Sailor279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 00:09   #5

Thanks. All in UTC (GMT in US speak) Did I omit that? I must check.
On another forum, I have been reminded of the http://weather.mailasail.com/w/uploa...sailcharts.pdf charts over email facility.