Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2015, 17:27   #1

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II
Electronic Charts Recommendations?

I have been giving some thought to using electronic charts, but have not clue on where to begin. (I'd still keep my paper charts and even my sextant.) I use a Mac and am not particularly computer savvy, so a relatively user friendly system would be desirable. Suggestions please.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Regards,
Captain Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 17:48   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Electronic Charts Recommendations?

Quality of electronic charts can vary a lot by venue. For example, CMAP is a bad joke in Belize, but very detailed in the Bay Islands of Honduras. Where are you planning to sail? Good odds someone on here can comment on that venue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 18:52   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Quality of electronic charts can vary a lot by venue. For example, CMAP is a bad joke in Belize, but very detailed in the Bay Islands of Honduras. Where are you planning to sail? Good odds someone on here can comment on that venue.

I am including the Bahamas and the Caribbean in my sights for now. But I must say the experience of Vestas Wind in the Volvo Ocean Race give me the shivers regarding electronic charts.
Old 09-08-2015, 18:59   #4

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I have a Macbook Pro running windows 7 and Maxsea with no problems. I also have OpenCPN (free software) running on a backup pc. USA charts are free to download: Nautical Charts & Pubs
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 19:15   #5

Boat: Pilot Cutter

+1 on OpenCPN. I thought it would be difficult to get up and running, but it was not.

I bought an el cheapo USB GPS unit for $35 from Amazon and I had everything else (any computer) to run it.

I set it up in about an hour.
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 14:46   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I have a Macbook Pro running windows 7 and Maxsea with no problems. I also have OpenCPN (free software) running on a backup pc. USA charts are free to download: Nautical Charts & Pubs
Hi Lepke;

Can you tell me what software do you use to run Windows on your Mac? Also are you happy with the Maxsea charts for the Caribbean?
Old 11-08-2015, 04:42   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

FWIW, I think there's a Mac version of MaxSea, so a Win7 emulator shouldn't be necessary. I know there's an iPad version.

For Ron: I use MaxSea on a laptop, but that's also partly because it matches my plotter software. And partly because I can use either raster or vector charts, and the vector charts can come from NOAA (free) or C-Map, or Navionics or whomever.

I would describe it as "as easy as possible given it's full-featured nature" -- which pretty much means the more it will do for you, the more you need to learn how to make use of it. (Pretty much as with all software.)

-Chris
Old 11-08-2015, 05:32   #8

Boat: Caliber 40LRC

I use Garmin. iPad with Garmin Bluechart Mobile. I like that Active Captain is integrated into Bluechart Mobile. U.S. And Caribbean charts are about $45. I can also transfer waypoints, tracks and routes to my 840 chartplotter.
TKR on a Boat Website
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:27   #9

Boat: Lagoon 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim R. View Post
I use Garmin. iPad with Garmin Bluechart Mobile. I like that Active Captain is integrated into Bluechart Mobile. U.S. And Caribbean charts are about $45. I can also transfer waypoints, tracks and routes to my 840 chartplotter.
Definitely the way forward. You can keep your tablet at the helm station in a waterproof case, something you can't do with a laptop. Also the zooming and scrolling with your fingers is so much easier. I really like the Navionics app and their charts were great in Oz but suck in the US/Bahamas. The Garmin app with the explorer charts is much better for the Bahamas and US. I think the apps are easier to use than computer programs and anyone can pick them up in minutes.
Gradient is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charts, men