Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2012, 18:02   #1

Boat: looking
Emergency Contact

So here is a story....

We got a new dock neighbor with a 23' fishing boat that probably costs as much as our 38' cruising sailboat. I complimented the new neighbor on his new purchase and he was quick to reply that he had a 60'er down the dock...

I noticed him and his buddy pulling out in the morning, he literally threw his dog on the boat. A few hours later I was enjoying lunch in our cabin when I heard the new neighbor coming back to the dock. Forward engines, reverse engines and "then that is a sailboat over der". Loud Crunch as fiberglass meets power boat stern. The new neighbor's fishing boat hit the sailboat that is in an adjacent slip.

I pop out of the cabin and ask if they need assistance. The dock neighbor's friend who has assumed command threw me a dock line and then another dock line. I tie him up without a thanks and go below to resume my lunch.

After a few short minutes there is a knock on the hull... I am Andy the "captain" says I own blah blah blah, don't worry about it I will have my guys buff it out. I said "it's not my boat and if it were me I would not touch it...".

Me being a good neighbor I would like to call the guy that owns the sailboat and explain the circumstances. However the last time I spoke with him he said that he would "be away for the holidays".

How many people leave an emergency contact number on their boats when they are away?
Old 25-11-2012, 18:37   #2

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Mike
So here is a story....

We got a new dock neighbor with a 23' fishing boat that probably costs as much as our 38' cruising sailboat. I complimented the new neighbor on his new purchase and he was quick to reply that he had a 60'er down the dock...

I noticed him and his buddy pulling out in the morning, he literally threw his dog on the boat. A few hours later I was enjoying lunch in our cabin when I heard the new neighbor coming back to the dock. Forward engines, reverse engines and "then that is a sailboat over der". Loud Crunch as fiberglass meets power boat stern. The new neighbor's fishing boat hit the sailboat that is in an adjacent slip.

I pop out of the cabin and ask if they need assistance. The dock neighbor's friend who has assumed command threw me a dock line and then another dock line. I tie him up without a thanks and go below to resume my lunch.

After a few short minutes there is a knock on the hull... I am Andy the "captain" says I own blah blah blah, don't worry about it I will have my guys buff it out. I said "it's not my boat and if it were me I would not touch it...".

Me being a good neighbor I would like to call the guy that owns the sailboat and explain the circumstances. However the last time I spoke with him he said that he would "be away for the holidays".

How many people leave an emergency contact number on their boats when they are away?
Doesn't the marina ask for that information with the contract?
Old 26-11-2012, 21:49   #3

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Sad not everyone can be thoughtful and considerate. Hope the dog runs away and finds a good home.

Tags
emergency