Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 09:30   #31

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Enclosures; Why??

We originally fully enclosed helm and cockpit because:

Helm:

1. Got tired of near drowning experiences at the helm in the GOM. Biblical squalls there. Literally wearing mask and snorkel at the helm. After enclosing I could sit comfy at the helm with a cup of coffee in almost any conditions and be dry.

2. Tropical sun. Gets damn hot without shade in the tropics!

The dodger can be relatively easily removed for nice conditions. Spent part of this rather abbreviated season (Corona Virus interruption) sailing without it.

Cockpit:

Mostly because we were living aboard at the time. The full enclosure on a catamaran dramatically increases living area. We had isinglass and mesh panels...either one or both could be deployed as needed. Mesh helped with bugs and sun, isinglass helped keep it warm in the winter months (in Texas at the time). Took off the isinglass panels after moving further south and have'nt used them in years, but still use the mesh panels as sun awmings.

And, we had pets aboard back then (a parrot and 3 cats). The full enclosure helped to keep them aboard and predators out. They also enjoyed the fully enclosed cockpit during snotty weather. Attached pic: the cats sitting at the helm out of the cold and enjoying the view as a strong cold front rolled thru the Bahamas.

Also, on a cat, if the enclosure feels too restrictive there is plenty of room to roam around the decks in fair conditions. We've sailed quite a few miles laying on the foredeck safety nets below the billowing spinnaker (in fair conditions obviously).
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:32   #32

Boat: FP, Lavezzi, 40

As for the grits and oatmeal, I am currently doing a low carb diet so will give them all a pass for now. :^)

I am jealous of your enclosures! I need to make one for my boat at some point as it would double my indoor space when the weather is foul. One question for those who have them. Do you have a screen enclosure ? I can think of plenty of anchorages where mosquitoes and miggies have driven us in the cabin at dusk.
OneKoolCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:34   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I'll never understand why some people like grits. Do you know of an appropriate forum to pose the question ?
Its not the grits, its all the bacon fat, cheese, and butter!

Im sure there is a Southern Stuff forum out there somewhere, but Im originally from Mississippi so thats a pretty credible answer. [emoji6]
Old 23-03-2020, 09:38   #34

Boat: Hake 32RK

The reason I made a removable screen enclosure to zip into bimini and dodger----BUGS in the FL Keys. They are big and they bite!
Mauruuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:51   #35

An enclosure would be a pretty good place to put a mister with a nebulizer attached to disinfect corona virus before it got in cabin. Just when at dock. All so helps with weather and bugs.
Old 23-03-2020, 09:51   #36

Boat: 2003 Hunter 356

Bugs. Screens are great. Especially useful against horse flys in Georgia/ Carolina.
wyctoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:53   #37

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Putting an enclosure on lowered my cockpit, AND cabin temp 10 degs.

Sometimes horizontal rain is uncomfortable.

So is a cold north wind.

I haven't made it bug proof yet, but that's another consideration.

And no self respecting Southerner will eat instant grits.

I'm on a low carb diet, but I eat some whole grains to lower Cholesterol.....I've also stopped eating squirrel.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 09:56   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
We originally fully enclosed helm and cockpit because:

Helm:

1. Got tired of near drowning experiences at the helm in the GOM. Biblical squalls there. Literally wearing mask and snorkel at the helm. After enclosing I could sit comfy at the helm with a cup of coffee in almost any conditions and be dry.

2. Tropical sun. Gets damn hot without shade in the tropics!

The dodger can be relatively easily removed for nice conditions. Spent part of this rather abbreviated season (Corona Virus interruption) sailing without it.

Cockpit:

Mostly because we were living aboard at the time. The full enclosure on a catamaran dramatically increases living area. We had isinglass and mesh panels...either one or both could be deployed as needed. Mesh helped with bugs and sun, isinglass helped keep it warm in the winter months (in Texas at the time). Took off the isinglass panels after moving further south and have'nt used them in years, but still use the mesh panels as sun awmings.

And, we had pets aboard back then (a parrot and 3 cats). The full enclosure helped to keep them aboard and predators out. They also enjoyed the fully enclosed cockpit during snotty weather. Attached pic: the cats sitting at the helm out of the cold and enjoying the view as a strong cold front rolled thru the Bahamas.

Also, on a cat, if the enclosure feels too restrictive there is plenty of room to roam around the decks in fair conditions. We've sailed quite a few miles laying on the foredeck safety nets below the billowing spinnaker (in fair conditions obviously).
Pic would not attach. Here it is:Click image for larger version

Name:	image29.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	211094
Old 23-03-2020, 10:07   #39

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We live aboard in the Caribbean. Constant sun destroys the wood, instrument housings, displays as well as our skin and it’s hot as heck in direct sun. We prefer to arrive dry. We don’t like salt crusted cushions or salted living spaces. Side curtains rolled up in the anchorage.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 10:27   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I have been watching Matt and Jessica on (MJ Sailing) and members on here make their cockpit enclosure which seemed to last well during an Atlantic crossing. They made the hard top in episode 8, but this is the side screens video:

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 11:11   #41

enclosures:: Made me think of my first new 1963 Pontiac convertible .Top down and drove it from show room. Cruised==sorry== that night and picked up riders. 5 Years later I put down top again to show it off then sold it. Only 2 times I remember having top down.
Old 23-03-2020, 11:40   #42

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I have heard mushrooms are pretty much tasteless ...
GASP !!!! Philistine !!!! I have one word, Sir: Truffles.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 11:50   #43

Boat: Cal 2-46

Grits?? In NZ that would be fine gravel. Not good for eating.
BTW we love our enclosed cockpit. Gives us great options whether cruising NZ waters (a bit cooler) or Pacific islands ( hotter and wetter)
Jimmyhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 12:24   #44

I am considering some canvas for my boat. The part that concerns me is not being able to constantly glance up at sail trim. Is there a solution I do not understand?
NCWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 12:28   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Window in the roof with a cover when its not needed perhaps?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc