Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2020, 15:01   #46

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Enclosures; Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Maybe the off topic forum ?
But with grits you need to understand they are a carrier of the tastes you add to them, by themselves they are bland almost tasteless. Most grit eaters like them with salt, pepper and butter, maybe some bacon bits. My Mother loved cheese grits.
I like mine with red eye gravy.

I have heard mushrooms are pretty much tasteless by themselves but become good if seasoned well. Not being a fungus eater I can’t say, but if it’s true, then they are like grits.
=================================================
do you eat grits with a full enclosure or al fresco?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:31   #47

Recently did a trip across the Tasman Sea from top of Sth Island in NZ to Coffs Harbour in Aus. The boat was a big 50 something footer one-off ketch with truly massive freeboard and a fabric enclosed centre-cockpit. We had winds on the nose most of the trip with days and days of motoring slowly into 30-59knts apparent.
The centre cockpit enclosure has converted me. It was amazing to be dry and cosy and looking out with awe at the seas and hearing the scream of the wind but not having to actually be in it dealing with it, except for the times we were outside to tidy up the exploded lazy jack sail bag and torn mainsail and mizzen. etc..
In any other boat I've been on, (let alone could afford) it would have been a scary, draining experience but I was glad to be at least a little remote from the elements in those conditions.
And then when the wind died out the sides just rolled up and we still had sun protection and whatever breeze was left (on the nose of course).
The enclosure is a no-brainer really, would be even better if the cover structure was a solid top that one could walk on to tidy mainsail reefing and maybe hold a couple of solar panels. That is the owner's intent too.
(Interestingly the freeboard at the bow was such that in order to pick up a mooring buoy when we limped into Lord Howe we had the longest boat hook extended as far as possible and had to lie on the deck with arm outstretched, yet all the beautiful teak grating walk platform around the bowsprit was smashed and gone from motoring into the seas. Not my choice of timing the trip, conditions etc but we were quite comfortable in that enclosure anyhow)
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 16:59   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Window in the roof with a cover when its not needed perhaps?
The Bimini on the boat when I bought it had just that, we never removed the cover, so this Bimini doesn’t have the window.
I believe it depends entirely on where you sail, we sail in the tropics and don’t want the heat. Up North or in cooler climes I can see it being very useful, just be sure the cover is on the outside to keep the sun from cooking the plastic.
But big wise our boat has screens, and in 5 years we have never used them. The few times we have had mosquito’s, it wasn’t bad, and then the Thermacell is magic. We also have the green coils to burn and they are OK, but the Thermacell lantern is the ticket.
If bugs got bad we would move offshore if possible.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 17:25   #49

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCWDave View Post
I am considering some canvas for my boat. The part that concerns me is not being able to constantly glance up at sail trim. Is there a solution I do not understand?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Window in the roof with a cover when its not needed perhaps?
Yes, a "window" (isinglass rectangle) with a roll up flap over it. I have one in my dodger. It covers the window when not in use and rolls up (with snaps to secure it) when not covering the window.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 17:37   #50

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Design consideration: Smile or Frown?

A canvas maker asked me this decades ago about flap windows on an enclosure. It took me a moment to figure out what thay meant. What they meant was whether the secured edge of a zippered enclosure window flap (a zippered opening in the isinglass) should attached at the upper edge (smile) or lower edge (frown). This determines whether the window flap rolls up or flops down. Which is best depends on the enclosure design.

The worst design is neither. I crewed on a boat recently where the canvas maker obviously never asked that question. As a result the skipper was like the boy in a bubble and very difficult to hear. The isinglass panels could be removed entirely (a PITA), but otherwise had no openings. A simple zippered opening makes a big difference for hearing, visibility, and ventilation.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 17:45   #51

I totally agree with CassidyNZ. I have been in all the conditions he mentioned. We have a full enclosure but have it rolled up for now. In the Florida Keys, 80F 10-12 knot winds - don't need it today. However, going through a squall with sideways rain is no fun and neither are wet cushions.
Y'all need to try grunts-n-grits or shrimp-n-grits. Good stuff!!
jimdelane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 17:59   #52

Boat: 1983 hunter 31, hull number 58

Yup, a window in either the bimini or the dodger or both depending on the configuration of your vessel. Mine is set so when I'm on the windward or leeward side I can see sail trim easily. That is one of my ways of staying occupied, adjusting trim and the helm. Kind of a sport I guess. Now I can let it steer itself while I take care of other business instead of hoving to but the habit of years is still with me besides maxing out the potential is just a self improvement task of sorts.
Charlespeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2020, 18:17   #53

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Far northern latitudes? Like New England? In July at night it’s cold enough that a full enclosure is awesome! In August in a downpour it’s awesome. In August in the sun it’s too much.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc