Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 06:33   #16

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua
Re: Engine Oil Change

Why take a risk? Change it.
Old 26-09-2022, 07:25   #17

It doesn’t matter.

I would leave it. Changing the oil after 2 hours won’t make a hill of beans difference when you take in the life, hours of a engine.
Every time you change the oil there is always used oil, acid ,residue left behind to mix with your new oil anyway.
2 hours is 2% of the useful life of your oil,probably more, if you use 100 hours as the life of the oil.
What’s important is that you do change the oil at regular service intervals.

A opinion.
Goodxcharly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:02   #18

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

Many years ago I rebuilt a few engines with some having been dormant for a few years. One engine was in a 1941 Oldsmobile that hadn't been run for many years. The engine was disassembled and the oil was found to have turned to sludge. However, no internal rust was found. Of the many engines disassembled, other than the ones that stored outside and exposed to rain, no rust was seen in any of them. The old story about acid and other nasty substances forming and destroying the internal parts seems to be unsubstantiated rumor. Based on my experience, changing the oil and filter after only two hours of running is a waste of time, money, and lubricants.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:31   #19

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I wouldn't change it!

I didn't even change my 200 hour oil before hauling out as I think this acid thing is old school crazy based on oil from 100 years ago.
I agree. My marina neighbor is a 65 yr retired Mercedes/Porsche restoration mechanic and has worked on MB diesels for years in Europe and the US. A few yrs back I spoke to him about changing the oil/filter every season. He asked how many hrs on it. Under 150 just getting in and out of the slip. He laughed. He puts more than 200 hrs each season and changes his every 2 seasons. With the new synthetics and modern filters, no need. He pointed out vehicles only change theirs every 7k to 8K miles. How many drive hours does that equate to?
I went with that advice for 6 seasons now and never looked back. No ramifications as a result. My is an '83 perkins 108 and runs great.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 08:36   #20

Boat: Matthews 45 1968

I personally would NOT change the oil and filter with only 2 hours on engine. I have ALWAYS changed the oil & filters in our 1968 twin 8v53s before the boat comes out of the water for the winter (6 gallons ea). In the 36 years of ownership the average season running hours have ranged from 40-150. BTW- in 36 years, one starter went bad- so I replaced both...
showmanship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:15   #21

Don't change it. It makes no sense, because it will work the same way the next season. It is a good idea to run the engine for a while before storing it. The rest is nonsense.
A little bit environmental consciousness is also good for sailors.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:32   #22
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

2 hours runtime? I would not change it.
Old 26-09-2022, 15:36   #23

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Hi All;

Life conspired against me using my boat this season, and I only used the engine for less than two hours on fresh oil and fresh filters. I can see no reason to change the oil and filters for/during the winter haul out as engine oil does not "go bad" sitting in the sump, to the best of my knowledge.

Your thoughts please? Thank you.
Most people are going to tell you to change it, quite honestly there is no good reason for this, if you can run the engine hard before storage and if you can’t then ensure you run it hard when it’s back in the water, this should remove any moisture content
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:04   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Hi All;

Life conspired against me using my boat this season, and I only used the engine for less than two hours on fresh oil and fresh filters. I can see no reason to change the oil and filters for/during the winter haul out as engine oil does not "go bad" sitting in the sump, to the best of my knowledge.

Your thoughts please? Thank you.

I agree with leaving the “2 hour old oil” in the engine for the winter layup but later it occurred to me that common rail engines need special consideration due to the systemic weaknesses ( EGR) they seem to have. The oil in CR engines gets jet black in record time from what must be carbon buildup even after 2 hours operation. I’d even consider using a dry or calibration diesel fuel in the injection system for long term layup too. The game has changed dramatically since the days when 4-108’s ruled the diesel engine field.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 08:06   #25

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

I'm sure the OP is totally confused by all the tales of don't change the oil, change the oil, run it hard before the layup run it hard after the layup. I think the funniest one is the retired Porsche restorers comment. Try this one, for the real truth. Pull an oil sample in the Fall and have it tested, pull another sample when launching and test it again. See what real authorities say about your oil samples.it isn't difficult to do. Some fluids contaminate when exposed to the atmosphere faster than others, climate plays a large role. The marine environment is harsh, salt marine even harsher. Or do nothing , I'm sure either way it will run fine in the Spring. I run a 500 HP Detroit diesel I change the oil every 200,000 to 250,000 miles whether it needs it or not. I've been doing that for the last 2.75 million miles, but I don't park it by the seaside for six months of the year, if I did I can would operate a little differently. The experts claim oil doesn't wear out , it gets contaminated.
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 08:24   #26
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Don’t change it , totally unnecessary , I change every 2nd year anyway with normal usage
Old 27-09-2022, 08:52   #27

Boat: Tripp 56

At the risk of being accused of hijacking this post, (I think it's pretty much run it's course, and I also wouldn't change the oil) along a similar vein, does anyone have an opinion on plugging the exhaust for the winter? I heard about this, and tried it last winter, and when I pulled the exhaust plug out (a Yogurt Container) in the spring, some moisture came out, leading me to believe maybe I was making things worse by holding moisture in. I guess the Waterlock probably holds water(winterizer) and that could be where it came from.
Coltrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 08:59   #28
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coltrek View Post
At the risk of being accused of hijacking this post, (I think it's pretty much run it's course, and I also wouldn't change the oil) along a similar vein, does anyone have an opinion on plugging the exhaust for the winter? I heard about this, and tried it last winter, and when I pulled the exhaust plug out (a Yogurt Container) in the spring, some moisture came out, leading me to believe maybe I was making things worse by holding moisture in. I guess the Waterlock probably holds water(winterizer) and that could be where it came from.

I stuff an old towel in. I suspect it’s a small difference. It also avoids creatures taking up residence
Old 27-09-2022, 10:42   #29

I wouldn't change the oil.

It would be nice to make sure the oil is dry before storing the boat for the winter.

Could you give it a decent run, get it up to full temperature, or is it too late for that?
Old 27-09-2022, 20:32   #30

Boat: Island Packet 29

Its like $40 and take 15 minutes.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, oil, oil change