Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2022, 13:15   #16

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom
Re: Entry into Cuba for a USA citizen sailor

I’m my further research it looks like a vessel needs a CG-3300 to sail to Cuba and a OFAC license or a email from them stating you don’t need a license. Not the easiest thing getting good information.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2022, 19:40   #17

Boat: Morgan 382

Information is hard to come by because US citizens really are not allowed to go there. The exceptions and permits are not intended as a way for us to go there, but for government officials, diplomats, disaster relief, etc., and if you are in the government and have business there, the government provides the info/permits.
I guess it isn't a priority, but I wish the Biden administration would ease the Trump era restrictions and get back to how it was under Obama. Because there is no reason for the restrictions, other than the US playing *******. I mean, a US citizen can travel to Iran or Russia, but not Cuba? Frigging stupid.
Old 07-12-2022, 22:55   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I guess it isn't a priority, but I wish the Biden administration would ease the Trump era restrictions and get back to how it was under Obama. Because there is no reason for the restrictions, other than the US playing *******. I mean, a US citizen can travel to Iran or Russia, but not Cuba? Frigging stupid.

Maybe the relationship between countries is more complicated than you're allowing.

I wouldn't travel to Russia or Iran right now, either. Turns out they're really not our friends.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 04:19   #19

Boat: 40 foot Schucker motorsailer and 46 foot Ted Brewer custom

You are allowed to travel to Cuba if you meet one or more of the 12 categories listed by OFAC. This blanket statement I keep hearing that American aren’t allowed to go to Cuba is miss leading and in some cases wrong. Guess you can say anything you want on the internet and it doesn’t have to be correct.
freshalaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 07:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
I guess it isn't a priority, but I wish the Biden administration would ease the Trump era restrictions and get back to how it was under Obama.
Better yet, get Congress to get off their backsides and change the law. The laws did not change under Trump, nor did they under Obama. They just used executive orders to change the way the laws are enforced.

We need to start holding Congress accountable for doing their job!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 08:30   #21

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshalaska View Post
You are allowed to travel to Cuba if you meet one or more of the 12 categories listed by OFAC. This blanket statement I keep hearing that American aren’t allowed to go to Cuba is miss leading and in some cases wrong. Guess you can say anything you want on the internet and it doesn’t have to be correct.
Unfortunately, that is quite prevalent here that people write stuff about which they know nothing.

Having done this trip more than once in the last 2 years, it’s easier to comply with the paperwork bureaucracy than many other countries.
S/V Illusion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:03   #22

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but Just wondering if the OP made the trip or if anyone has any experience to share?
Protondecay123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 06:21   #23

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
You need only two things -
A Cuban Tourist Card which costs around $50usd, and a self-certification statement of the travel purpose, the most common of which is in “support of Cuban population” but no one will ever ask you for the latter. You don’t need prior approval. Been there twice in last 2 years from Florida. Great people, extraordinary poverty
=================================

thank you very much for sharing your experience and links.

How to get the form or site? for the " self-certification statement of the travel purpose, the most common of which is in “support of Cuban population”

thank you
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2023, 12:08   #24

Boat: Wharram Tiki 38

I've been trying to find a definitive answer to this as well. I tried the State dept, they declined to answer and referred me to a different office. I have an email out to them and if I hear back I will post the answer. Me, I think we're still sulking about the 93 failed assassination attempts and the failed invasion.... Say, is that a fuse in my cigar? And in this day and age I will say ahead of time; yes that is a joke.

Today after much digging on the US Embassy Cuba page I found this:

Aircraft and Vessels
Flying an aircraft or sailing a vessel to Cuba, even temporarily, constitutes an export or reexport to Cuba. If the aircraft or vessel is subject to the EAR (e.g., those departing from the United States), then BIS authorization is required, either through a license or license exception, to fly/sail to Cuba. Commercial aircraft and cargo vessels on temporary sojourn to Cuba may be eligible for License Exception Aircraft, Vessels, and Spacecraft (AVS) (Section 740.15 of the EAR). Note that all corresponding requirements and criteria must be met in order to be eligible for License Exception AVS.
A BIS license is required for the temporary sojourn to Cuba of non-commercial aircraft and non-cargo vessels, and license applications for those aircraft and vessels are subject to a general policy of denial.
Other U.S. Government Agencies
Please be aware that other U.S. Government agencies administer regulations that could also impact your export or reexport transaction. For example, the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) maintains certain Cuba-related sanctions. Exporters and reexporters are responsible for complying with all applicable regulatory requirements.

Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security website for additional information.

and:

In addition, a vessel of the United States, as defined in 33 C.F.R. §107.200, may not enter Cuban territorial waters without advance permission from the U.S. Coast Guard. The U.S. Coast Guard provides permission information at (305) 415-6920.
Mexican Hat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, sail, USA