Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 01:16   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
eTools for yacht documentation?

Cheers,

Having bought a few 10-20 yrs old second hand sailing boats I've come to realize that it's quite challenging to judge the quality (and needed maintenance) of the boat without good documentation. A lot of older boats have turned into their owners DIY projects (for good or worse), and this as well adds to the challenge of buying and, I think, might affect resale value quite a bit.

In an ideal world, I guess, a new yacht would start out with complete documentation of every single component it's made of (including design information, for example what loads different parts of the rigging should be able to take etc). As parts are being replaced and upgraded, the documentation would be updated accordingly. The manufacturer (or someone else) would ideally also maintain databases of "compatible" components so that DIYers might avoid poor upgrades/replacements.

Now, in this present world, where we've just bought a new boat, I guess I can just put all the electronic documents and scanned paper documents in a dropbox, but are there any more advanced tools available that also would have some intelligence built into them?

Can we get a real-time 3D image of our boat with colour coded component status (red = replace soon, green = a-ok, "click here for manual"), or is this something we have to build ourselves?
Old 01-09-2018, 03:36   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: eTools for yacht documentation?

I am not aware of one —-nor would I want one.

Graphical interfaces that require finger clicks on exact locations do not work well on boats under 50’ or so. The boat moved too much for accurate finger taps. I know this because of experience with chartplotters that did not have knobs to control the cursor.

On my boat I have an old iPad with the PDFs organized in folders. There is a folder for engine, all things Raymarine, AIS, etc. The iPad is backed up by printed manuals in a binder.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:27   #3

If you can live without the pretty color coded picture, which adds no real value to the data, you can try ShipShapePro available for iPad. If it tells you it’s time to change the engine oil, do you need it to show you a picture of the boat so you can find the engine room?

It’s a database driven program for managing maintenance and repairs on one or many boats. It works well, but no pretty graphics.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:36   #4

Boat: Currently in between

I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for but go look at YouTube "Happy Together" and see if you can find the episode where Randy talks about his database/program for maintenance. It seems pretty comprehensive and reminds him of what service is due and when. I don't know the programs limitations, it may be more complex than he discusses and might do most of what you are looking for.

Your boat is due to be finished late December but you won't splash her to the Spring, I believe (from your blog). If so you are in front of the curve and will maybe find what you are looking for or can help someone develop it for you. <--- Hey, might be a money making thought you've got going!

On edit: Bill beat me to it, that might be the program from Happy Together.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:33   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am not aware of one —-nor would I want one.
I'm a poor salesperson, it seems!

But yes, touchscreens and a moving boat may be problematic (remember the same from using the B&G Zeus touchscreen). Rain was a problem also since it messed with the touch sensors.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
If you can live without the pretty color coded picture, which adds no real value to the data, you can try ShipShapePro available for iPad. If it tells you it’s time to change the engine oil, do you need it to show you a picture of the boat so you can find the engine room?

It’s a database driven program for managing maintenance and repairs on one or many boats. It works well, but no pretty graphics.
Thank you. Will check that out.

And do I need the picture, no I guess not. I'm just very fascinated by user interfaces and since seeing Minority Report for the first time I've been thinking every computer program should have an interface sort of like that
Old 01-09-2018, 07:38   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
If so you are in front of the curve and will maybe find what you are looking for or can help someone develop it for you. <--- Hey, might be a money making thought you've got going!
Yes, that's a thought! I actually code myself, but if I ever find the time to do something it would be fun to do it together with someone else. At least for feedback and testing.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00   #8

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Yes, that's a thought! I actually code myself, but if I ever find the time to do something it would be fun to do it together with someone else. At least for feedback and testing.
I think you would find several computer savvy types on this forum that would be willing to Beta Test.

Then there is me. I work fine with packaged programs ready to go out of the box. I would like to go down the Open road and even looked at the Pi but the words users throw out scared me away. I'm just kinda computer Duhhh.

If you do bang something out I could Beta Test for you from the novice viewpoint!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:06   #9

Quote:
Then there is me. I work fine with packaged programs ready to go out of the box. I would like to go down the Open road and even looked at the Pi but the words users throw out scared me away. I'm just kinda computer Duhhh.

If you do bang something out I could Beta Test for you from the novice viewpoint!
Absolutely!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42   #10

I've recently left IT after 18 years implementing global systems in a variety of industries. I've implemented several field service applications and many other types of systems that rely on data input for accuracy and to achieve the planned benefit. What this experience has shown is that the issue is less about the functionality of the tool, and more about the discipline of the user.

Imagine having to make an update to your system every time that you do anything onboard. Engine work is probably easiest to consider. I changed the oil today, log that activity, decrement filter and oil inventory, add back to inventory when replaced. I would suggest that a simple spreadsheet in Google drive, and a folder for your electronic manuals gives the biggest bang for the buck, and allows you to develop the discipline of recording data over time. Perhaps another thread on yacht management practices would help share ideas on best practices and templates that people are using.

The future of all this lies in the application of predictive analytics to the yachting industry. Imagine sensor data being collected automatically on board and analyzed in the cloud. Generating proactive reminders and alerts, eg fuel pressure is increasing over time - time to change your filters - based on observed conditions over time, not just engine hours.

Until that future arrives, select a simple approach with a cloud based tool that provides local copy options (Google drive is my weapon of choice) and see if you have the discipline to maintain the data while maintaining the boat.
SailSonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:01   #11

Quote:
I don't think this is exactly what you are looking for but go look at YouTube "Happy Together" and see if you can find the episode where Randy talks about his database/program for maintenance. It seems pretty comprehensive and reminds him of what service is due and when. I don't know the programs limitations, it may be more complex than he discusses and might do most of what you are looking for.

Your boat is due to be finished late December but you won't splash her to the Spring, I believe (from your blog). If so you are in front of the curve and will maybe find what you are looking for or can help someone develop it for you. <--- Hey, might be a money making thought you've got going!

On edit: Bill beat me to it, that might be the program from Happy Together.
Vessel Vanguard
Imprezza72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Databases are so simple today that I'm sure you can figure something out. I recall having an employee dedicated for three years creating a Revelations program for tracking in a metal fabricating firm. You can get as fancy as you want.

I use linked Excel spreadsheets. I also have a color coated image of my boat which is linked to photos of ongoing projects, parts of boat, engine etc.. Even shows where I have extra tools stashed for convenient maintenance. 10mm for bleeding for instance.

I also have a ledger where I record everything I do. When at sea; departure times, winds and so forth. That is probably enough. You can scan it and convert to text for search capability.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:02   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We were fortunate that the PO documented well and kept the manufacturer’s drawings as well. All vendor documentation is in three ring binders and takes up about a meter of shelf space. Drawings folded ‘D’ size sheets is nearly 70 sheets including electrical, piping, mechanical and vessel construction, layup and lofting. 1984 Camper and Nicholson 58 Ketch.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 13:32   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

mg-
The nice thing about electronic files is that they are so easily created or changed at any time that someone wants or needs to do that. IOW, they are not to be trusted.
On the other hand, a folder full of invoices and a bound printed maintenance log are pretty hard to counterfeit and vey easy to keep.
A friend of mine bought a boat from an aerospace engineer. Literally, a note in the maintenance log and a glued-in receipt for every dime or minute he'd put in the boat. Combined with the "eat off the floor" condition of the boat...It made for a fast sale.
Paper, while it can get lost, soggy, or burn, doesn't just "get corrupt" or need new batteries. Ain't obsolete yet.

Of course if you want to put it all in one electronic folder, the standard format for that is a PDF file. With Adobe's Acrobat software, or others, you can make almost anything you can scan or create on the computer into a PDF file, and then merge the PDF files into one "folder", or one integral document. (And there are ways to digitally 'sign' that to confirm authenticity as well.)

You'd need a scanner, but that doesn't have to be on board. The Fujitsu ScanSnap series are fast and reliable, and often come with licensed Acrobat software or a similar bundle.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 21:54   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailSonoma View Post
What this experience has shown is that the issue is less about the functionality of the tool, and more about the discipline of the user.
Yes Very much agree.

Quote:
The future of all this lies in the application of predictive analytics to the yachting industry. Imagine sensor data being collected automatically on board and analyzed in the cloud. Generating proactive reminders and alerts, eg fuel pressure is increasing over time - time to change your filters - based on observed conditions over time, not just engine hours.

Until that future arrives, select a simple approach with a cloud based tool that provides local copy options (Google drive is my weapon of choice) and see if you have the discipline to maintain the data while maintaining the boat.
This sounds like terribly good advice, and I might do just that: start out with the standard Google apps and focus on the data collection/logging bit.

Still, a small part of me wants to put some effort into being a part of creating that future you describe instead of just waiting for it

Tags
documentation, men, yacht