Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2020, 10:38   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: EU Entry: When does the clock start

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I’ve a bit of an inside insight into the Brexit deal. To my knowledge there are no extensions for tourists from the U.K. there are some provisions aimed at U.K. long residents in EU countries , but many of these are country specific
So what recommendations for dealing with the 90 in 180 limit for non-EU residents that want to long term cruise EU and the Med?

So far I have found two possible solutions.

1. Check into a non-Schengen country. UK (how will Brexit impact that?), Ireland and Gibraltar are a few easy ones. Most of north Africa is concerning and it's a long haul to Turkey and other non-Schengen places in the eastern Med.

2. Apply for a long stay visa in the EU. Maybe Greece is handing them out like lottery tickets to Brits but my previous research for the rest of us it was not a simple process. Also I have read that getting some type of long stay or temporary resident's visa might have tax implications as in exposing the applicant to local income or other taxes.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 10:44   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlantern View Post
Schengen 90 day visa waiver is based on entry/exit stamps in the holder's passport. Dates are inclusive so count all the calendar days. This is not very complicated.

That’s the land based process

What the OP was wondering if you clear in an out will the intervening days be discarded from the 90 days.

The answer is the practice is when there is no intervening stopover in a non Schengen country the immigration authorities will take the view that your exit from country A is irelevant and that you did not actually leave the area at all, as your passport has no proof you did

Ie leave France with exit stamp arrive Greece 4 days later , immigration in Greece will not allow the 4 days.

So in practice the 90 days counts from country of 1st entry to country of last exit and only days spent ( and so stamped ) in non Schengen countries will be deducted.

It’s ok OP. You can stay forever in Ireland no 90 days for brits here. ( and we,ll even let you vote an all )
Old 08-12-2020, 11:05   #18

...in the case of sailing from France to Greece in 4 days, there is no difference from driving from France to Spain. Nobody exited the Schengen zone. They just oddly got a superfluous exit stamp and will need to re-enter; all days counted.
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:26   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
It’s ok OP. You can stay forever in Ireland no 90 days for brits here. ( and we,ll even let you vote an all )
Phew, we are saved, guess the Irish sea is going to be a bit of a well worn path.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 12:09   #20
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Phew, we are saved, guess the Irish sea is going to be a bit of a well worn path.

Absolutely. France is overrated !!!
Old 08-12-2020, 12:43   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I can see a business opportunity here. If there's a hard Brexit and they put in a border then you can start smuggling disgruntled Brits to Ireland.

Then if Scotland secedes, well........
Old 08-12-2020, 12:47   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
That’s the land based process

What the OP was wondering if you clear in an out will the intervening days be discarded from the 90 days.

The answer is the practice is when there is no intervening stopover in a non Schengen country the immigration authorities will take the view that your exit from country A is irelevant and that you did not actually leave the area at all, as your passport has no proof you did

Ie leave France with exit stamp arrive Greece 4 days later , immigration in Greece will not allow the 4 days.

So in practice the 90 days counts from country of 1st entry to country of last exit and only days spent ( and so stamped ) in non Schengen countries will be deducted.

As I recently commented to a friend on another forum, Ireland is the friendliest country I've been to. The ONLY place I ever walked up to passport control at the airport where the agent was glad to see me instead of glaring at me like I was a mad bomber trying to sneak into his country. Even smiled, said welcome and enjoy your visit.
Old 08-12-2020, 13:24   #23

Boat: seems it wasn't in the cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
As I recently commented to a friend on another forum, Ireland is the friendliest country I've been to. The ONLY place I ever walked up to passport control at the airport where the agent was glad to see me instead of glaring at me like I was a mad bomber trying to sneak into his country. Even smiled, said welcome and enjoy your visit.
am digressing, but... i was in Wales (for a delivery) in 2019, yes, before covid pushed life's pause button, and found folk so incredibly, incredibly friendly. everyone called me "luv" and smiled at me genuinely and were so very trustful of me.

i was so amazed... it really got me wondering what on earth i'm doing living in france...
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 13:33   #24
Nearly an old salt

EU Entry: When does the clock start

Quote:

Many years ago , I sailed back into Ireland with some American friends. ( we arrived in Baltimore in west cork ). We retired to the pub and my US friends were very concerned about properly clearing in. After much pestering , I eventually rang immigration in cork airport to find out what to do.

“ ah you’re with the yanks off the boat in Baltimore “, “ yes “ says I. “sure that’s fine we all know where you are “, “ but they are worried about clearing in “ says I , a pause followed “ are you staying in the pub for a few hours “ , “ yes “ , “ well I’ll drop in on the way home and bring my stamp “

Later on , a few very bemused Americans found themselves having their passport stamped for the price of a pint !!
Old 08-12-2020, 13:39   #25
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
I can see a business opportunity here. If there's a hard Brexit and they put in a border then you can start smuggling disgruntled Brits to Ireland.

Then if Scotland secedes, well........

Hard Brexit on not , no Border , Sleepy Joe told Boris that’s not a runner

The brits can just wander across
Old 08-12-2020, 14:27   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Many years ago , I sailed back into Ireland with some American friends. ( we arrived in Baltimore in west cork ). We retired to the pub and my US friends were very concerned about properly clearing in. After much pestering , I eventually rang immigration in cork airport to find out what to do.

“ ah you’re with the yanks off the boat in Baltimore “, “ yes “ says I. “sure that’s fine we all know where you are “, “ but they are worried about clearing in “ says I , a pause followed “ are you staying in the pub for a few hours “ , “ yes “ , “ well I’ll drop in on the way home and bring my stamp “

Later on , a few very bemused Americans found themselves having their passport stamped for the price of a pint !!
Now that is amazing. Try that in the US and you would find yourself at the very least answering some very pointed questions. Think it would be difficult to get away with anything in Cork with that kind local network in place.

Well then my Cork story. Went for a business meeting in Ringaskiddy and had a few hours to kill before my flight back to Heathrow so wandered around Cork until departure time.

Stopped in a chocolate shop to pick up a snack for the trip. The owner came up and asked if she could help me and when I opened my mouth the accent immediately gave me away as a yank. She then insisted on filling a bag for me with all her favorites and refused to take a penny in payment, just welcome to Cork. Never, never had that happen anywhere else.
Old 08-12-2020, 14:29   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hard Brexit on not , no Border , Sleepy Joe told Boris that’s not a runner

The brits can just wander across
Well there goes another get rich quick scheme.
Old 08-12-2020, 14:30   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgal View Post
am digressing, but... i was in Wales (for a delivery) in 2019, yes, before covid pushed life's pause button, and found folk so incredibly, incredibly friendly. everyone called me "luv" and smiled at me genuinely and were so very trustful of me.

i was so amazed... it really got me wondering what on earth i'm doing living in france...
Have not been to that part of the UK, yet. Sounds like I need to move it up on the list.
Old 08-12-2020, 14:34   #29
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Well there goes another get rich quick scheme.

I have the ultimate get rich scheme , we like our fish and chips here and almost all the potatoes used for frying chips are brought in from England ( which is hilarious at one level ) seemingly the humble British spud makes a super chip.

This is all at risk , so I think smuggling potatoes into Ireland for the chippers , might be very lucrative

Real life is more bizarre then fiction isn’t it.

We’re well off topic by now
Old 08-12-2020, 14:47   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
I have the ultimate get rich scheme , we like our fish and chips here and almost all the potatoes used for frying chips are brought in from England ( which is hilarious at one level ) seemingly the humble British spud makes a super chip.

This is all at risk , so I think smuggling potatoes into Ireland for the chippers , might be very lucrative

Real life is more bizarre then fiction isn’t it.

We’re well off topic by now
Carrying coals to Newcastle......
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote