Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2015, 15:51   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: European Boat Purchase?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigIt View Post
Yeah, thanks Polix. How did the shipping and delivery go? Taxes and issue? Looks like the u.s. market may be wising up to EU boats, the three I'm looking at (Sealine, Nimbus, Rodman) all now have 1 dealer in the U.S. One I'm working direct with manufacturer, the other through a dealer in Spain.

I'll look for others that I haven't stumbled upon as of yet without U.S. dealers. Feel free to recommend!

Cheers,

Steve

Rodman and nimbus make very good boats. I would avoid sealine

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2015, 18:36   #17

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibkind View Post
Based on your experience I contacted William and Smithells. After exchanging a couple of emails, I supplied him with the boat in Malta that looked the most interesting to me and several others that were possibilities. The reply I got was very surprising. They wanted 300 pounds (almost $500) to do research and they said that their fee for services would be 3% of price and 50% non-refundable before survey.

All this seems odd given that the seller, at least in the US, pays the brokers. In fact, you state the same for your purchase in Greece.

My first thought is to do my own research. It may help to do it myself because then I don't have to deal with the broker in the middle.

That said, the one reason I want a broker is that I'm concerned about getting all the paperwork done correctly. It's also nice to have someone that represents only me, not the seller too.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Maybe in Malta is like in Italy where the broker is paid half by the seller half by the buyer. In Italy to the price a boat is advertised you have to add broker expenses. Regarding paperwork in Italy (and Malta?) it is preferable to have a good agency dealing with it.

Here is a site were you can find boats advertised and so sold by owners and also boats sold by dealers. If the add is from a owner you will not pay anything and probably will be cheaper since the owner will not pay anything, not even the add.

Boats for events, rental boats and berths - iNautia
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:58   #18

[QUOTE=goboatingnow;1771287]Rodman and nimbus make very good boats. I would avoid sealine

Oh no goboatingnow, can you expand on that? Privately if you prefer. After just online research my order of preference is Sealine, Nimbus, Rodman. Need to narrow it down to two before heading to Europe foe sea trial.

Anyone able to discuss whether or not I'll be liable for VAT?

Steve
DigIt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, Finding a foreign boat, Foreign boat purchase, purchase