Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-05-2016, 17:58   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Every wannabe cruiser’s biggest score!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugger View Post
Thats the plan! West all the way to the Gulf. I thought about ditching the trailer, but my buddy, who will find a place to store it, strongly advised me against it.
Don't ditch the trailer!!! But if you must, pm me first!!!
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 01:00   #32

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Absolutely beautiful boat both inside and out. Congratulations on your acquisition.
Can you supply exact specs? eg: LOD; LOA; Freeboard at mid section; Bridge clearance; ???
I could look some of these specs up on Google, but, owning a similar type vessel myself (built from a bare hull), I know for sure, all boats of same make & model are not necessarily identical, especially when completed by different owner/builder's.
For instance, mine was intended to be a sloop, but I built it as a Cutter ... per Tom Gilmer's original design. Ref: BLUE MOON
It was modified by a local N.A. to high aspect ratio rig atop of a full length coach house having 6' 2" standing headroom throughout the cabin.
I reverted to the cutter rig, because the race type sloop rig just didn't look right on a "traditional style" hull.
The profile photo of your boat could easily be mistaken for mine, . . . a PASSAGE 24. which is in fact; 24' - 6" LOD. Add a Bowsprit, plus a Boom-kin, and it rounds out to exactly 30 Ft. LOA.
I used a 28'-8" OAL Selden spar, placed atop of a high coach roof, giving me approx 32' 6" bridge clearance, or air draft, (if you prefer that designation). This measurement of course is from top of the mast to the DWL.
I notice the ceiling in your boat is similar to mine. I used 2" Clear Yellow Cedar T&G (oiled, gives a lovely Honey color), plus Teak veneer, and bone colored laminate in galley and toilet areas.
Launched last August (she settled right on her lines) I've sailed it for only 15 hours since then. The BMW D-12 engine has less than 10 hrs. on it. Nothing but top quality new machinery and parts went into this boat, as well as lumber.
The clear yellow cedar T&G was all export grade, normally not available to retail customer's. I have a story to tell about that if anyone is interested, but I feel like I shud really put this all on a thread of my own but once again, I haven't a clue how to do that. How does one start a NEW thread on this forum? As well, I'd love to post photos, but don't know how to do so. I've tried a few times, but failed every time (probably because I suck at using computers ... I blame it on my advanced age).
About values: My boat was surveyed and valued at Cndn.$180,000 replacement value for insurance purposes, as for 'real' value, I suppose that is anyone's guess in the current market. If I were asked to make a guess, I would say $85,000
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 06:15   #33

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
The joke is on your buddy when you never sell it.
Except his buddy is paying storage for something he knows he can't sell for much. win win!
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 07:00   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Absolutely beautiful boat both inside and out. Congratulations on your acquisition.
Can you supply exact specs? eg: LOD; LOA; Freeboard at mid section; Bridge clearance; ???
I could look some of these specs up on Google, but, owning a similar type vessel myself (built from a bare hull), I know for sure, all boats of same make & model are not necessarily identical, especially when completed by different owner/builder's.
For instance, mine was intended to be a sloop, but I built it as a Cutter ... per Tom Gilmer's original design. Ref: BLUE MOON
It was modified by a local N.A. to high aspect ratio rig atop of a full length coach house having 6' 2" standing headroom throughout the cabin.
I reverted to the cutter rig, because the race type sloop rig just didn't look right on a "traditional style" hull.
The profile photo of your boat could easily be mistaken for mine, . . . a PASSAGE 24. which is in fact; 24' - 6" LOD. Add a Bowsprit, plus a Boom-kin, and it rounds out to exactly 30 Ft. LOA.
I used a 28'-8" OAL Selden spar, placed atop of a high coach roof, giving me approx 32' 6" bridge clearance, or air draft, (if you prefer that designation). This measurement of course is from top of the mast to the DWL.
I notice the ceiling in your boat is similar to mine. I used 2" Clear Yellow Cedar T&G (oiled, gives a lovely Honey color), plus Teak veneer, and bone colored laminate in galley and toilet areas.
Launched last August (she settled right on her lines) I've sailed it for only 15 hours since then. The BMW D-12 engine has less than 10 hrs. on it. Nothing but top quality new machinery and parts went into this boat, as well as lumber.
The clear yellow cedar T&G was all export grade, normally not available to retail customer's. I have a story to tell about that if anyone is interested, but I feel like I shud really put this all on a thread of my own but once again, I haven't a clue how to do that. How does one start a NEW thread on this forum? As well, I'd love to post photos, but don't know how to do so. I've tried a few times, but failed every time (probably because I suck at using computers ... I blame it on my advanced age).
About values: My boat was surveyed and valued at Cndn.$180,000 replacement value for insurance purposes, as for 'real' value, I suppose that is anyone's guess in the current market. If I were asked to make a guess, I would say $85,000
Congrats on finishing your boat Bob! This one took 3 years of his time to build so i have an idea of how much went into yours.

This should be a link to start a new thread: I’m sure people would love to hear the story. Sure would!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...=newthread&f=2

You are asking some questions that unless i was the builder, I don’t know if i’d be able to give you an accurate answer.

Per post #3 from GordMay check out these links:
➥ Annie 29 - Morris Yachts
http://www.chuckpaine.com/pdf/30ANNIE230.pdf

I’m sure at some point I’ll do a survey for insurance purpose purposes as others have mentioned. As far as doing that to uncover anything wrong with the boat, with the people i know, that frankly, know as much or more than most surveyors. I’ll put that $$ into something else.

I intend to make this boat my mancave away from home. Inside it will be made for ME, with room for someone else to stay aboard.

90% of the wood on the inside looks like its nearly new. He oiled it years ago but hasn’t done much else. What ever he did or didn’t do I’m going to continue on with. There is a little bit of sun fading on the main hatch but its pretty minor. so at some point i’ll get to fixing that. Outside is the priority for now.

The engine is as solid as it looks. 2300 hours. To charge the bank he said he ran it an hour a day and that was enough.

He also mentioned he gets 7-9 YEARS out of his house batteries desulfifying (is that a word?) them every 3 months of use. I won’t be changing a thing there.
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 07:01   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
Except his buddy is paying storage for something he knows he can't sell for much. win win!
bingo!
Old 16-05-2016, 11:17   #36

Quote:
Congrats on finishing your boat Bob! This one took 3 years of his time to build so i have an idea of how much went into yours.

This should be a link to start a new thread: I’m sure people would love to hear the story. Sure would!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...=newthread&f=2

You are asking some questions that unless i was the builder, I don’t know if i’d be able to give you an accurate answer.

Per post #3 from GordMay check out these links:
➥ Annie 29 - Morris Yachts
http://www.chuckpaine.com/pdf/30ANNIE230.pdf

I’m sure at some point I’ll do a survey for insurance purpose purposes as others have mentioned. As far as doing that to uncover anything wrong with the boat, with the people i know, that frankly, know as much or more than most surveyors. I’ll put that $$ into something else.

I intend to make this boat my mancave away from home. Inside it will be made for ME, with room for someone else to stay aboard.

90% of the wood on the inside looks like its nearly new. He oiled it years ago but hasn’t done much else. What ever he did or didn’t do I’m going to continue on with. There is a little bit of sun fading on the main hatch but its pretty minor. so at some point i’ll get to fixing that. Outside is the priority for now.

The engine is as solid as it looks. 2300 hours. To charge the bank he said he ran it an hour a day and that was enough.

He also mentioned he gets 7-9 YEARS out of his house batteries desulfifying (is that a word?) them every 3 months of use. I won’t be changing a thing there.
Hi Rugger; Thanks so much for your response. According to the specs I saw on the M29 link, you definitely have a good 4'-6" over mine.
Photos can be deceiving. That being said, the M29 video shows an entirely different looking boat to the photo you posted. More of a slick little Club Racer/Day Sailor, as opposed to a heavy displacement pocket cruiser.
What's in a word? "desulfifying (is that a word?)" Haha, I'm glad someone else has a problem with terminology ... my best guess would be 'de-sulphating' but I really don't know and too busy (lazy?) to look it up. I'm sure one of our 'resident' experts will put us right.
Thanks again for the links, I shall make use of them for sure. Have fun with your boat, she's a 'Beaut'.

Edit my last post ... About values: My boat was surveyed and valued at Cndn.$180,000 replacement value for insurance purposes, as for 'real' value, I suppose that is anyone's guess in the current market. If I were asked to make a guess, I would say $85,000 - but I might be dreaming at that figure too. and yet, try pricing out a DANA 24 which has very similar specs to my boat ... and that's not even a sail-away price. The last quote I received on one was U$160,000 bare boat. What's more, it is all plastic with very little wood trim. Admittedly, some folk like that, but I call them plastic jelly beans. Nothing like having teak decks and lots of trim to keep one busy, while lazing the weekend away at the dock when there is no wind.
Old 17-05-2016, 08:23   #37

Boat: santana 30

Nice boat mate !!! you done good!!! wow
mobjackjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 08:43   #38

Congratulations.

Somewhere down the line you are going to run into State taxes. They have been discussed endlessly here.

Work up a bill of sale with your buddy. The boat could well be worth $180K or your $85K figure. That will be used for insurance purposes (liability and comprehensive).

But work out a much lower figure for taxes. And put that one the Bill of Sale.

Do some homework and research on the issue, in general and for different States.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2016, 09:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Congratulations.

Somewhere down the line you are going to run into State taxes. They have been discussed endlessly here.

Work up a bill of sale with your buddy. The boat could well be worth $180K or your $85K figure. That will be used for insurance purposes (liability and comprehensive).

But work out a much lower figure for taxes. And put that one the Bill of Sale.

Do some homework and research on the issue, in general and for different States.

Good luck.
Hi Stu, I believe you may have confused comments I made about pricing of MY boat (a Passage 24), with that of Rugger, the OP.who acquired a lovely Morris Annie 29.
I surely apologize if my comments have caused confusion in the thread.
Old 17-05-2016, 16:30   #40

Boat: Gulf 32

Quote:
Thats the plan! West all the way to the Gulf. I thought about ditching the trailer, but my buddy, who will find a place to store it, strongly advised me against it.
Definitely keep the trailer... buddy has a really sweetly built out Pacific Seacraft 25 that was a derelict when he bought it, but it was on a trailer which he sold... restored the boat very nicely but wishes he'd kept the trailer (obviously he could just buy another), nothing like going to windward at 55mph (I'm thinking Sea of Cortez, Nova Scotia, etc etc)
basssears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 19:17   #41

Well, the time has come.

Yesterday the boat made the trip across Florida, Cape Canaveral to Bradenton, on its trusty red sleigh and just in time for xmas....And it only blew 3 of the 6 tires!

MERRY XMAS TO ME!!!

This holiday season will be finished up scrubbing, power washing, sanding, refinishing, and buffing, waxing, changing oil, filters, and flushing fuel...you know, the typical holiday stuff.

Unstepping, god willing will be the week after the 7th, and renaming ceremony, launch, move on will be on the 14th.

Thats the plan anyway.

Wish me luck!!

Rugger
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new home.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	138387  
Old 09-01-2017, 17:40   #42

Well…She’s cleaning up really nice. A nice bleach / carwash soap / electric pressure washer treatment did some real damage to the mold and nastiness.

After draining and refilling the fuel tank, changing the oil, replacing the raycor, and bleeding the air from the system, the Yanmar 2GM20 fired up in half a crank. I was amazed. After 3 years in storage, it started flawlessly. Sounded like a japanese watch…so pretty.

The rub rail and toe rail have been sanded and have 2 coats of finish. Hoping to get one more on those and be done with the hard to get to parts. I can’t wait to get to the rest of the wood. Its going to be soo rewarding. It’ll have to wait till the next 2-3 weekends in the marina though.

The plan was to do bottom paint this past weekend, but the temp only got to 50 degrees in the sun and we didn’t want to risk it. So the launch on the 14 will have to wait till the 21st.

Wish me luck!!

-Tom

Tags
core, cruise, cruiser