Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2019, 21:52   #1

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter
Experience with SailTimer Wind Sensor

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with purchasing a wireless wind sensor from SailTimer? I pre-ordered the latest model from the company at the beginning of February. Since then, the company has announced delivery of the sensor would begin in April, then May, and now late June. Based on the constant delays and my refit window I asked the company to cancel my order and refund the purchase. The company told me that's not possible since the "return" window is only 14 days from the time of the purchase. Did I just get taken for a painful ride? Anyone else have good or bad experiences? Is this just the inherent risk of doing business with innovative, but small companies with overseas production?
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2019, 10:15   #2

Re: Experience with SailTimer Wind Sensor

You will get your unit but you need to be patient. The company has been in business for a while and are reputable. They are members of the Canadian Better Business Bureau. But, they are notorious for over promising on delivery dates for new products. I waited 9 months for a previous version before I got it. And the return window policy is terrible as it punishes the preorders over if you wait until it is in stock. It should allow returns up to 2 weeks after you receive it.

The previous units were a challenge due to the need for pre-charging the batteries in the sun for three days before using it. You had to actually position it facing the sun and rotate it every few hours. If your battery became discharged you risked damaging it and it couldn't be replaced.

So the new unit with the replaceable battery is a big improvement. I liked the functionality of the older unit and that has been enhanced with this one so I am hopeful they finally got it right.
Sailer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 05:35   #3

Boat: Kaiser Gale Force Cutter

Thanks for sharing your experience Sailer 1. I did receive the wind sensor from the company after a four month wait. Upon arrival, the unit looked a bit rough with several scuffs on the solar panel case, but powered up okay. The company "offered" to look at the device under warranty to address the damage, but I didn't want to spend $50 in shipping costs only to be told, "it will work fine; scratches might actually help with charging." Yep, they told me the scratches might help with charging. The solar charging process was a bit onerous as you described, but seems to work okay now. I do enjoy the connectivity to an iPad and the navigation features are very good. Connectivity can occasionally be a bit erratic, but for the most part the link is solid. The purchase will certainly not be the worst in my boating history, but I was absolutely turned off by the terrible customer service and ridiculous pre-order no return policies. My other experiences with small marine hardware providers have all been wonderful. The owners generally bend over backwards to address questions and concerns. That was definitely not the case in this situation. Despite all the frustrations, I am optimistic the sensor will be a good addition to the iPad navigation suite.
holtjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 11:37   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by holtjp View Post
Hi,

Does anyone have experience with purchasing a wireless wind sensor from SailTimer? I pre-ordered the latest model from the company at the beginning of February. Since then, the company has announced delivery of the sensor would begin in April, then May, and now late June. Based on the constant delays and my refit window I asked the company to cancel my order and refund the purchase. The company told me that's not possible since the "return" window is only 14 days from the time of the purchase. Did I just get taken for a painful ride? Anyone else have good or bad experiences? Is this just the inherent risk of doing business with innovative, but small companies with overseas production?
I have bought the SailTimer Instrument which never function because my mast is 36 ft high and the Bluetooth signal did not arrive on my instrument or smartphone. Once I had order the first Instrument it took over 6 month to arrive changing all the time the delivery date and the second one took also 7 month. The first SailTimer Wind Instrument after 3 month the plate where it was fixed brake and I lost the Instrument. So I talk to the company SailTimer and they sold me a second Instrument with factory price, but this Instrument also did not function, the Bluetooth signal did not arrive to the instrument or smartphone and also the wind direction is not working, I think it came with this defect from factory. I did not have support from the company and they only told me that it is not possible that it is not function properly. So at the end I have pay a lot of money and no result. SailTimer say that they have a new and stronger Bluetooth electronic in there new Instruments which have a longer range, admitting with this that the old Instruments had problem with the communication. So in the moment I also do not know what Wind-Instrument for rotating mast I will buy.
chamo0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:42   #5

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

They sound like dodgy people to deal with, regardless how tempting the product might sound, I'd forget about them and look for another solution.
Old 06-02-2020, 07:28   #6
ews

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR31 Monsun
Send a message via Skype™ to ews

Only when all the facts about this company and their products come to light and are reported, will the customers be safe from this company.
Here is my story:
- I ordered this instrument (old version) in 2018 and after some delay it was sent to me and I received it while in NewZealand. The instrument DID NOT WORK at all. The battery did not take any charge. After some 2+ months of their support people telling me that I am too stupid to charge the unit they finally agreed to replace the unit under warranty. BTW, forget about being able to return the unit to them, their 14 day return policy is run out before you even receive it.

- anyhow, so I am waiting for the replacement. MONTHS, after MONTHS, the excuse was model change and I held still because I was getting the new improved RB (removeable battery) version. Finally some 8 mths after initial purchase I received the replacement. And wow, it worked. Albeit under IOS only. I couldn't make it work under Android, not on my Android 9 phone and not later on my friends Samsung tablet. And it only worked for three weeks. Then the oh so innovative wind cups stopped working, the bearings were gone after three weeks and all the unit did was emitting a squealing sound.

- after now more than a year from initial purchase I just was done with this wonder of non-function and requested a refund. Which of course was denied and more warranty parts offered. BTW, every time you need warranty parts you are in for some $80 Fedex fees depending on where you are. But for me this is it. I am no longer gonna waste my time and money on this product.
- my repeated request for a legal address so I can have my lawyer file legal procedures have now been denied 3 times leaving as the only option to sue publicly against Sailtimer without any address.

This product is imho utterly unsuitable for offshore use. Maybe for the gadget hungry bay sailors(no pun intended) it may be ok to play with this troublesome HW and SW. Customer service is rich on words, with zero action, evasive to the max and the fact that the company refuses to supply a legal address so customers can file legal action speaks for itself. I never had to deal with anybody more resistant in admitting that they have a serious HW product quality problem and a SW availability and compatibility problem as well.

The design of this product is an environmental disaster as well. Its hermetically sealed in epoxy, no repairs are possible. They didn't even wanted my old unit back which I assume only has either a bad battery or a bad solar panel. All these units will sooner than later become non recycable hazardous electronic waste. Their Software is buggy, their IOS API is a resource hog and their Android API doesn't even serve their own Android apps.

The power requirements on your mobile devices with the BT radio on all the time are tremendous and anything of a phone with less than 4000 mAh (just my experience) is not a suitable device. If you want to eliminate your chartplotter, think twice.

In WikiPedia the developer touts Sailtimer as a "Technology" and on his website he makes it look like his HW and SW are cutting edge technology. They sure are not.

This is just my personal experience and others may be happy customers although I doubt there are many after dealing with them now for a year.

Don't leave town with this product. If you get it to work at all.

I am just drafting a "FREE" for sale ad for my two units. Anybody who wants my two units for free, message me here and they can really be had for free. I give them away for shipping cost only(currently from the Philippines where I am). Just to get them out of my life. I wasted lots of money, time and nerves on this and at some point you have to call it quits.
Old 11-02-2020, 18:54   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ews View Post
Only when all the facts about this company and their products come to light and are reported, will the customers be safe from this company.
Here is my story:
- I ordered this instrument (old version) in 2018 and after some delay it was sent to me and I received it while in NewZealand. The instrument DID NOT WORK at all. The battery did not take any charge. After some 2+ months of their support people telling me that I am too stupid to charge the unit they finally agreed to replace the unit under warranty. BTW, forget about being able to return the unit to them, their 14 day return policy is run out before you even receive it.

- anyhow, so I am waiting for the replacement. MONTHS, after MONTHS, the excuse was model change and I held still because I was getting the new improved RB (removeable battery) version. Finally some 8 mths after initial purchase I received the replacement. And wow, it worked. Albeit under IOS only. I couldn't make it work under Android, not on my Android 9 phone and not later on my friends Samsung tablet. And it only worked for three weeks. Then the oh so innovative wind cups stopped working, the bearings were gone after three weeks and all the unit did was emitting a squealing sound.

- after now more than a year from initial purchase I just was done with this wonder of non-function and requested a refund. Which of course was denied and more warranty parts offered. BTW, every time you need warranty parts you are in for some $80 Fedex fees depending on where you are. But for me this is it. I am no longer gonna waste my time and money on this product.
- my repeated request for a legal address so I can have my lawyer file legal procedures have now been denied 3 times leaving as the only option to sue publicly against Sailtimer without any address.

This product is imho utterly unsuitable for offshore use. Maybe for the gadget hungry bay sailors(no pun intended) it may be ok to play with this troublesome HW and SW. Customer service is rich on words, with zero action, evasive to the max and the fact that the company refuses to supply a legal address so customers can file legal action speaks for itself. I never had to deal with anybody more resistant in admitting that they have a serious HW product quality problem and a SW availability and compatibility problem as well.

The design of this product is an environmental disaster as well. Its hermetically sealed in epoxy, no repairs are possible. They didn't even wanted my old unit back which I assume only has either a bad battery or a bad solar panel. All these units will sooner than later become non recycable hazardous electronic waste. Their Software is buggy, their IOS API is a resource hog and their Android API doesn't even serve their own Android apps.

The power requirements on your mobile devices with the BT radio on all the time are tremendous and anything of a phone with less than 4000 mAh (just my experience) is not a suitable device. If you want to eliminate your chartplotter, think twice.

In WikiPedia the developer touts Sailtimer as a "Technology" and on his website he makes it look like his HW and SW are cutting edge technology. They sure are not.

This is just my personal experience and others may be happy customers although I doubt there are many after dealing with them now for a year.

Don't leave town with this product. If you get it to work at all.

I am just drafting a "FREE" for sale ad for my two units. Anybody who wants my two units for free, message me here and they can really be had for free. I give them away for shipping cost only(currently from the Philippines where I am). Just to get them out of my life. I wasted lots of money, time and nerves on this and at some point you have to call it quits.
Dear EWS, I want to have your two Sailtimer wind Sensor. I have the same story like you, but I can repair the instrumtns. Thank you
Old 11-02-2020, 18:56   #8

Dear EWS, I want the sailtimer wind instruments becasue I think I can repair tham. I had the same story like you.
Best regards
Old 27-02-2020, 10:08   #9

I just wish I read this thread before I ordered a SailTimer back in Sept/Oct 2019. I just got it and although it "works" it is not going to be very useable onboard. I believe I would need to buy their Air product to actually tie the wind vane NMEA0183 data into any onboard system. At this point I am unwilling to throw good money after bad.....
lkknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 22:54   #10
ews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkknapp View Post
I just wish I read this thread before I ordered a SailTimer back in Sept/Oct 2019. I just got it and although it "works" it is not going to be very useable onboard. I believe I would need to buy their Air product to actually tie the wind vane NMEA0183 data into any onboard system. At this point I am unwilling to throw good money after bad.....
Lol, I wished too I had some heads too up before I ordered. I guess some times we all have to pay for getting a lesson.
At least yours works, mine never did, or not for long.
Old 27-02-2020, 22:56   #11
ews

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamo0110 View Post
Dear EWS, I want the sailtimer wind instruments becasue I think I can repair tham. I had the same story like you.
Best regards
It looks like you'd be number 4 in line. I think the instruments will go to their new owner once I hit Puerto Princessa in a few weeks. If not, I'll send you a PM.

Tags
enc, sail, wind