Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 12:22   #16
cruiser

Re: Experienced Sailors who want to Charter: May now need ASA #104!

I tell them "come out with me for an hour. I'll pay you for the hour. After an hour, if you don't think I'm qualified, I won't argue."

I've been able to charter everywhere I've taken that approach.
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:29   #17

Boat: Bavaria 38 Ocean Center Cockpit

You are still good in the BVI and most if not all the Carribiean.

It is Europe who seem to be enforcing this now.
argold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:34   #18

I do have a question: Are you planning a visit to Annapolis anytime soon?

I was hoping schools (or instructor-owned schools) would work on a way to figure this out and offer it as a product.

Here is an idea for schools; how does this sound?

The student does whatever prep work they want to, then goes to the school and takes (and pays for) the written exams one after the next until the student feels like they have gone far enough. After that (on another day) the student and the instructor spend a day on the water doing whatever the instructor asks. After that the instructor can rate the student as high as the instructor feels the student has demonstrated ability.

I don't know what the test fees are but what would be a reasonable per-hour rate for an instructor? This might be done on the student's boat (cheaper) or the school's boat (with an additional daily "rental fee").

Does that sound like a reasonable program for a school to offer?
Old 14-10-2014, 12:36   #19

The certification for Croatia must be ASA or USSA.
Old 14-10-2014, 12:36   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander36Kairo View Post
I've been considering chartering a bareback boat in BVI this winter for the first time. I have 40 years on and off experience, have had my own boat which I've sailed and maintained for (7) years now. I have spent quite a few dollars on sailing and training (including an ASA 101 challange some years ago).
TO THE CHARTER INDUSTRY, I WILL NOT SPEND ONE ADDITIONAL DOLLAR FOR ANY CHARTERS REQUIRING ANOTHER PAYOFF TO ASA!!
A "bareback" charter...might want to Google that term! Please advise of your location so I can stay clear! ;-)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 12:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDsailing View Post

Currently - the quickest / most affordable way to get your 104 certification is to go in to a local sailing school and challenge the three exams (101, 103 and 104) and do an on the water skills assesment. You will need to contact a school and set this up. An individual instructor will not be able to certify you.
+1. With OP's experience should not be a problem, but be sure and review the standards for each so you don't get surpised.
Old 14-10-2014, 12:44   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Yeah, I read that after. I'm surprised they don't at least mention foreign flagged boats - even if its just to mention no requirements.. And couldn't a charter boat in croatia be flagged from another country just like charter boats elsewhere? So those would be excempt?
Have not sailed in Croatia, but in most other charter venues the boats in the fleet are foreign flagged. In Belize for example there are no Belizean flagged boats in the charter fleet because import duties are crazy high.
Old 14-10-2014, 18:15   #23

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

The same thing happened in Northern Europe. When we were living in Norway, we decided to take a long weekend and go through the ICC certification process at a local school. We also did the same with the VHF/SRC certificate. For that we simply arranged taking the exam at the local "Telenor" (who proctor the exam) office - both of these were inexpensive and no problem OTE.

The ICC and VHF requirement for bareboat charter prequal is rapidly becoming the norm in Europe. It is what it is, but doesn't pose much of a problem to anyone with experience other than the loss of a weekend or so.

The one benefit it has given the charter industry (and the boating community as a whole) is to take charterers off the water whose only qualification for bareboating was a credit card. This is a shame as it reduces accessibility for sensible and cautious people, but at the same time it also acts as a deterrent for people who unnecessarily drive up insurance bills for everyone else.

Last time we chartered in the med we spent the evening talking to the charter-base captain. In the yard attached to the base there was a plethora of boats which has been trashed by charterers being repaired. The charterers had obviously lost their security deposits. The captain told me, "it's eye watering! These boats are worth more than a Ferrari. Yet if you walked into a car rental place and said you wanted to rent the Ferrari without a driving license they'd politely show you the exit!"
Old 14-10-2014, 21:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by argold57 View Post
The certification for Croatia must be ASA or USSA.
Caveat - I am an IYT ICC instructor.

They will accept ICC's issued in the USA. Mine (issued by IYT) is authorised by the MCA.

ASA 104 is considered an equivalent by Croatian Authorities.

PM me and I will send a link to an online study guide.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:23   #25

You can also get an ICC thru ASA upon completion of 104 (Bareboat).

http://www.asa.com/lts-international...rtificate.html
Old 15-10-2014, 05:45   #26
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Definitely a good idea to require licences and also to enforce the regulations a bit more. I'm especially thinking of smaller powerboats and jet skis that don't have a clue, but it also applies to all marine traffic. Good for you if you have the experience you can probably pick up a licence pretty easily. Croatia accepted my Australian coxswains certificate as an equivalent qualification. They also require a full list of safety equipment on board and crew lists for private vessels, radio licence etc.
I'm pretty sure insurance companies would be forcing the charter companies to require certification for skippers, and for me it's a good thing. Why would I want my premiums to increase to pay for damage caused by unqualified skippers?
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 05:48   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander36Kairo View Post
I've been considering chartering a bareback boat in BVI this winter for the first time. I have 40 years on and off experience, have had my own boat which I've sailed and maintained for (7) years now. I have spent quite a few dollars on sailing and training (including an ASA 101 challange some years ago).
TO THE CHARTER INDUSTRY, I WILL NOT SPEND ONE ADDITIONAL DOLLAR FOR ANY CHARTERS REQUIRING ANOTHER PAYOFF TO ASA!!
Oh I've been on quite a few bareback charters that were thoroughly enjoyable ... Of course we are talking mixed gender boats here...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Oh I've been on quite a few bareback charters that were thoroughly enjoyable ... Of course we are talking mixed gender boats here...
Maybe an idea for an ASA specialty class!
Old 15-10-2014, 11:20   #29

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

I just sailed Croatia in my own boat, USA flag and USA capt and crew. At check in they did not ask for my capt. license or radio license.
BUT we had just left Montenegro and they told me if I did not have a capt. license i would have to leave immediately. I showed them my asa book with the courses i took and they let us stay. A day later i met the the real port captain instead of a clerk and he asked how i got the boat across the atlantic i said sailed her and boy did his attitude change.

But i am with Jim as we have been around a number of charters and kinda wish the criteria was raised..

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;1652816]From another perspective, I'm not a charterer but have often been surrounded by them. I for one wouldn't mind the criteria for chartering being raised a bit!

Oh by the way as an aside I was talking with someone on a dock about the license required in Europe and how inexperienced some of these "sailor" are. He laughed and said first if you have 300 euro and a couple of weeks i can get you a license; there is always a way. Second he said when he worked for a charter company he would go over a boat with a client and the client would say "I've been sailing for 20 years, you do not need to tell me that". He would then say ok 20 years at 1-2 weeks a year is 20 weeks so you mean you have been sailing for about 6 months to a year at which the client went silent.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2014, 11:31   #30

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

[QUOTE=Cavalier;1653929]
The ICC and VHF requirement for bareboat charter prequal is rapidly becoming the norm in Europe. It is what it is, but doesn't pose much of a problem to anyone with experience other than the loss of a weekend or so.
[/QUOTEn

The requirement for a VHF license is not new AFAIK, that has always been required. Though maybe not always enforced...
I got an ICC by signing a statement to the Belgian Transport ministry, stating I could sail, and got my SRC certificate by just sitting an exam.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa, charter, enc, sail