Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2018, 01:56   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Extended stay Capetown

Hi all, I'm considering spending 8-9mths in Capetown, if possible. . Will arrive there in December. I like staying in places for more than a couple of weeks.

Yes, I know I could Google a government site regarding visa and will do at some stage BUT does anyone here know off the top of their head if an Australian and his boat can stay in South Africa for 8-12mths? Visa etc.

Thanks in advance.
Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 16:20   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Extended stay Capetown

It depends I think. Our boat was there for almost a year and we were in and out of the country after I suffered a serious hand injury. There was no problem with the boat being there for so long. As for us, we were only there for a few months at a time so no problem there. You could leave SA as needed and make side trips to Lesotho, Botswana, Namibia, etc and get a reset on a visa.

BTW, we stayed at Simonstown which is a distant suburb of Cape Town and very pleasant. I think there are only two places to stay in Cape Town, the V & A Waterfront and the yacht club. The former means you are living in a tourist attraction and the latter is inside the port and quite dirty at times. Simonstown has a commuter train into the city but you might want a car for touring around. Don't know the rules for foreigners buying a car.