Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2013, 16:53   #31
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: Family of 6 looking to sail

When i was planning to finance, banks wanted 30% down.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:58   #32

Have checked some but am no expert. All the bank really would need to know is that we are currently working and have over 20% down. You don't want to metion live aboard
elireloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 16:59   #33

I think you're right about the older boats, has to be a newer boat
Old 25-11-2013, 17:05   #34

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Some companies give better rates for liveaboards such as Essex creditit. It's rare however that you'll get a loan for the real expensive boat unless you have some kind of collateral. And in most cases they're only going alone for 60 or 70 percent of boats value.
So you may need to come up with 30 to 40 percent to cover that plus taxes and insurance. Title and registration fees etc cetera.
even on a forty six foot three cabin boat that means all of your kids will be sleeping with another kid or two on the settee. it's totally doable but you're also going to need to watch your draft especially in the keys. I spent probably 25 to 30 percent of my time working on the boat. Preventive maintenance upkeep/ finding a problem before it finds you is the number one way to avoid costly repairs when you least expect them. You could potentially find a catamaran under 40 feet that has three separate births is well. And be much more pleasant at anchor. Especially in the key's shallow draft boat that you can get into some great anchorages and docking a smaller cat is going to be worlds easier than a 46 foot mono.
best wishes!!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:34   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
Don Casey also has a book out called "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance" that is currently in my Amazon.com shopping cart. I figure reading through this will give me some knowledge on what to expect to break and what to look for wrong in a used boat.

We know a family of 6 that live aboard in the Florida Keys. They purchased a boat for 15K and fixed it up. So I know it can be done and we will do this, yes we will. Even if it is not a hunter like we would like and even if a bit cramped, I see no reason not to pursue this at this time.

I would rather try and fail then have the regret of never trying in the first place. - (or whatever similar quote)
You idolize a 'Hunter" which is a cheap poorly built boat--for some unknown reason
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:36   #36

They seem affordable, updated, and well layed out..
Old 25-11-2013, 17:38   #37

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetheleo View Post
You idolize a 'Hunter" which is a cheap poorly built boat--for some unknown reason
Cheap? Have you priced one lately?
Old 25-11-2013, 17:40   #38

I would say their design is quite genius compared to some other units I have seen
Old 25-11-2013, 17:41   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Cheap? Have you priced one lately?
I mean older ones -they were built very Cheep
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 17:51   #40

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
You can put it on a mooring ball at 79th street boat basin.
Hah! At US$180/week, it would be cheaper than a parking spot in a garage for a car. Still, I'd rather keep that money in our pocket until we're ready to roll. Husband grew up sailing, but kids and I still need to learn. Plus, we both have work-work that has to be wrapped up. We both do longitudinal studies/analysis. Mine is all historical so no need for me to be physically present to wrap stuff up. This is less the case for my husband, who's research is current. So I'd rather keep a year's worth (+-) of mooring fees on hand for outfitting and newly imposed Greek taxes.
Old 25-11-2013, 18:01   #41

Hi,
There is a sailor and his wife by the name: John and Amanda Neal. He has a one day class to discuss multiple subjects about sailing including what kind of boat to buy and so many other subjects related to sailing.
He will be speaking in Chicago sailboat show on Jan 25 all day, I might fly there to listen to him. It might be an option for you.
-Also there is a good book called: Twenty Affordable Sailboats to take you anywhere by Gregg Nestor. I just bought it and it is very interesting down to the point book.
Hope that would help.
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 18:19   #42

Boat: Watkins Sea Wolf 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by elireloaded View Post
Well, encouragement from us. I hope it works out well for you all because we are experiencing the same thoughts and issues. We are sure going to try anyways. I don't want to be stuck in the 9-5 for the rest of my life, get to the end then live with the regrets of missed opportunities.

We have actually already started to downsize in preparation. I can't say enough about how great it is already to be living with less stuff.

I read some reviews on the repair book that say it includes bits from "this old boat" book.
The most profound thing I've gotten from the book so far was in the first chapter or two: Buy the boat you need right now; don't buy the boat you hope to need two or three years from now. And as RainDog pointed out on another thread (post no. 274), the same philosophy should be applied to equipment for the boat.

We're looking at boats in the 42'-49' range, hoping to find a 3- or 4-cabin one, ideally around US$60,000.
Old 25-11-2013, 19:11   #43

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Quote:
Oh. And you can learn to sail after you buy it.
You MUST learn to dock before purchase.
Docking without thrusters, is hard. Or impossible.
Btw backing a sailboat is an aquired skill....
Impossible? Catalina 42, fixed prop, no thrusters at all. We've never had a problem docking with currents, winds, pilings, other boats, etc. It's not hard at all. Backing into a slip - cake.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 19:13   #44

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

Oh - Meant to address the OP too! We have a Catalina 42 and while we don't live aboard, we do live on board during the summer for weeks. My kids this summer were girls 10, 21, 23 and a boy 12. The 10 and 23 year old girls are in one cabin and the 21 year old girl and 12 year old boy were in the other (we used to have two big in one and two little in another but it just didn't work based on personalities - this set up is best for us) and then hubby and I get the forward master. It's a great, comfortable boat and with good canvas outside, there's plenty of room to spread out.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 19:24   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Oh. And you can learn to sail after you buy it.
You MUST learn to dock before purchase.
Docking without thrusters, is hard. Or impossible.
Btw backing a sailboat is an aquired skill....
Just a case of practise I think... Never had a bow thruster in my life and I can put my boat exactly where I want it....

Tags
family, sail