Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2013, 13:40   #91

Re: Family of 6 looking to sail

I love that boat....

If I had cash in hand I would definitely flyover to check out. 2 more weeks and our house will list...
elireloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 14:03   #92
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
The big challenge on cruising is if you actually go and spend a year on the hook, sailing and liareving a minimalist lifestyle with your family always around you the next big challenge will be moving back to society and becoming a dirt dweller again. I figure that after about 2 years cruising you are almost unemployable, LOL because it is such a special lifestyle for those folks that fit in.

BINGO....we are 15 months back from a 4Yr cruiser and coming back is MUCH harder than going! The only thing that saved me is that I still work from aboard the boat from the chart table, so I don't have to interact as much with the Chaos of life ashore. The kids look around at the high school scene and laugh...so that is saving me in MANY ways also....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2013, 17:33   #93

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

The catamaran is with Massey Yachts - the same company we bought our Catalina from. We had a GREAT experience with them and a distance purchase. I can highly recommend them.

But I love the Scheel!
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 03:24   #94

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Never heard of a Carlson Sable catamaran, made in Indiana??
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2013, 13:01   #95

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

With two cabins, the Scheel might not work as well as modern production/charter oriented designs for big family, but probably is fine for a couple with two kids.
Old 29-11-2013, 13:05   #96
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
With two cabins, the Scheel might not work as well as modern production/charter oriented designs for big family, but probably is fine for a couple with two kids.
and what are these boats???? He only has 80k max for the boat and the Scheel fits that asking 59K
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:17   #97

Boat: Najad 343

Bit late on this thread but here goes anyway…

We are a family of four - kids are 5 and 6. Our plan is to leave this summer from SC travel north as far as we can through hurricane season and then head south to the Bahamas.

In March we bought a Najad 343 in Annapolis, took a shakedown cruise to get her home (without kiddos). We spent approx $65 on the boat. We have about $25 to $45 in up fitting to do - this does not include engine work, sails, or new rigging but does include big ticket items as refrigeration, hard top bimini, life raft, eprib, new battery bank etc. The refit costs will add up. If you buy an older boat (even in really good condition as ours is), budget at least 25% of your purchase price for up fit.

Yes, the boat is small. BUT it is very well laid out, very sea worthy, and lets us go sooner rather than later. We had been looker at bigger boats (IP 38, Brewer 44, Stevens 47). We looked at hundreds, set foot on over 50 then happened to look at just a tad bit smaller boats, and found "the one".

Lots of words to say
1) go do it
2) budget more than you expect on up fit
3) take a John and Amanda Neal seminar if you can. (we did it was great)
4) Sail, Sail, Sail on your boat or anyone else's.

We hope to see you out there one day!
Lisap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 21:07   #98

Boat: Tartan 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisap View Post
Bit late on this thread but here goes anyway…

We are a family of four - kids are 5 and 6. Our plan is to leave this summer from SC travel north as far as we can through hurricane season and then head south to the Bahamas.

In March we bought a Najad 343 in Annapolis, took a shakedown cruise to get her home (without kiddos). We spent approx $65 on the boat. We have about $25 to $45 in up fitting to do - this does not include engine work, sails, or new rigging but does include big ticket items as refrigeration, hard top bimini, life raft, eprib, new battery bank etc. The refit costs will add up. If you buy an older boat (even in really good condition as ours is), budget at least 25% of your purchase price for up fit.

Yes, the boat is small. BUT it is very well laid out, very sea worthy, and lets us go sooner rather than later. We had been looker at bigger boats (IP 38, Brewer 44, Stevens 47). We looked at hundreds, set foot on over 50 then happened to look at just a tad bit smaller boats, and found "the one".

Lots of words to say
1) go do it
2) budget more than you expect on up fit
3) take a John and Amanda Neal seminar if you can. (we did it was great)
4) Sail, Sail, Sail on your boat or anyone else's.

We hope to see you out there one day!
Our philosophy as well when we go. Smaller keeps refit costs down, and saves you money at each step along the way, and is more manageable. There is no sailboat under 80 that doesn't make a modest house feel like a mansion, after all. I'd rather have smaller boat with top of the line bells and whistles- sails, engine, canvas, electronics, safety equipment, dinghy, etc- than bigger and have to scrimp on this stuff or be fixing all the time.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:08   #99

Re: Family of 6 Looking to Sail

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Our philosophy as well when we go. Smaller keeps refit costs down, and saves you money at each step along the way, and is more manageable. There is no sailboat under 80 that doesn't make a modest house feel like a mansion, after all. I'd rather have smaller boat with top of the line bells and whistles- sails, engine, canvas, electronics, safety equipment, dinghy, etc- than bigger and have to scrimp on this stuff or be fixing all the time.
Well said, you said it all. Bigger is not safer either as proven by racing is the only thing you left out
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 17:13   #100

Re: Family of 6 Looking to Sail

Hi! I have a family of 6 and we did exactly what you want to do...except we went for one year. 45' Cat. Happy to share! Great experience. Ignore the nay sayers...as always! Email: rodan_and_fields@yahoo.com
sbauhaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, sail