Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2015, 10:36   #16

Re: Fast Sailing Dinghy as Tender?

Used Optimists and Sabots are a dime a dozen. they are 9 footers and therefore within your specs. I don't know of any other 1 designs you can pick up so cheap, and most dinghies are outside your size specification. How hard would it be to run in a side deck? Tho the kiddies who learn on these boats hike perfectly fine sitting on the gunnel.
They row fine. They are burdensome for their size. No need for 4hp, an electric trolling motor is just fine. Both are unstayed catboats and IMO the Optimist has it over the Sabot cos the gunter rig permits the mast and gunter to stow within the hull, along with the oars, so the whole kit'n'kaboodle can be carried butt over teakettle on the foredeck even on a 30-footer. On flattish water, just tow it.
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 10:41   #17

Boat: Scout 30

We've got a 10' Bauer that we really enjoy. Rows & sails great but it's nothing like a Laser. Chesapeake Light Craft has several kits for sailing dinghys that you might want to check out.

Bauer boats 10 sailing dinghy - BAUTECK MARINE INC.

Lightweight Sailboat Kits That You Can Build
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 11:28   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which Dinghy??

Everyone has their favorite.
After much review and consideration, the one I would pick for my own boat would be….(drumroll)…the PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy.

PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy home page

Why that dinghy?
Many reasons, all of which I won't go into here. But here are a FEW of the reasons I would pick it for my boat:

1. Nesting Ability
It is small and only weighs 95 pounds (hull alone) and when in two pieces that means only lifting about 45 pounds. That makes it very easy to take and put on a boat, etc. But, it can sail or row with more than two people in it.

2. Easy and Quick assembly, even when it is in the water! I found it amazing that it takes just 20 seconds to join the two pieces together and be ready to row and go. WOW!

3. It sails very well, and looks like it could outsail any other similar dinghy. I have looked at videos of other popular dinghies sailing with their optional sail kits, and the easy conclusion is that some are real pigs. Most of the other brands show their boats in almost calm water. The PT11 video shows the boat in a variety of conditions, from calm, to surf, to nice stiff wind. A nimble sailing dinghy is something I value, for fun and practical purposes. See the videos to draw your own conclusion.

4. It has a very "classy" look that I think would be very nice to see on my bigger boat or on the water. I don't care for blunt bowed pram style dinghies and don't like some hard dinghies that look like a plastic bath tub. Aesthetics? Well, I am an artist, and aesthetics and design matter to me.

Those words…are just words. It is best to see for oneself so view this video of short highlight clips from some of the many videos on Youtube about the PT11.

There are more reasons, but that should be enough for you (or anyone) to look at it seriously.

It does cost more than a "Walker Bay" or similar inexpensive plastic dinghy.

In sum, when considering use of the sailing dinghy on a typical sailboat (as a tender) and considering the need to stow it somewhere on the larger boat, and considering my desire to have a fun sailing dinghy that will perform as I want it to, with a simple rig that is easy to rig up (even when doing so over the side of a bigger boat), I think the PT11 is my optimum choice.

Disclaimer: I have NO financial connections to the builder of the PT11. I have not owned one (yet) and I have not sailed one (yet). But, I see this as my choice and plan to get one in the future. So, you may take my opinion with a big splash of saltwater. But, if you do look at the video I linked above, I think you will be able to see for yourself the appeal I see in the PT11.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 11:56   #19

Have you looked at a ruba dub with a sailing rig?
There are several versions made by Tinker, Traveller and Star Traveller and a latter version when they updated the design, although I think the later version has a rigid hull like a RIB. The Star Traveller is about the same size as a Mirror dinghy and sails about as well. As tender it's bigger than your requirement is plenty big enough for a 4/5 hp motor. They roll up like an inflatable.

They aren't made any more but they are around.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:14   #20

Try Tinker Class Owners Association for info on the tinker sailing inflatables.
Bluebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 12:58   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Which Dinghy??Everyone has their favorite.
After much review and consideration, the one I would pick for my own boat would be….(drumroll)…the PT Eleven Nesting Dinghy.
It is purty. Not cheap but very nice.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 14:22   #22

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

I second the Trinka 12. Designed by the same guy that did the Laser.
Sails great, but might be too long for stowage on your yacht.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 15:00   #23

Boat: Van de Stadt Pioneer 930-9.3m

We currently use a walker bay 8 but a walker bay 10 may be more suitable for your requirements. We have added the inflatable skirt which turns it into a sailable rigid inflatable which we have found to be adequate for our needs.
Tibor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 15:31   #24

Why all the fuss? It ain't rocket surgery. Whatever dinghy you prefer, just put a bigger rig on it!

That, or go sailing in the right breeze.....

Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 17:54   #25

Not sure if many made it over to Europe, but if so you may want to look for a used Dewitt dinghy. Jim Dewitt was a great sailor, wonderful sail maker and currently one of the finest maritime artists alive. His dinghy sails very fast, comes with oarlocks and an OB bracket. They carry two easily and are very stable.
Paul Mazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2015, 19:40   #26

Boat: Herreshoff 28 modified ketch- wood

My Sabot is under 9 and has flotation and I paid 275. Added oarlocks. Two plus backpack = awkward. Fits under boom of our old Columbia 29 only if I raise boom and main up eight inches.
bailsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 06:00   #27

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Don't know how fast they sail, but Fold-a-Boat can be rowed, motored, and sailed. It also stows easily. There are a few here in Keehi Lagoon (O'ahu) used as tenders.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 07:34   #28

Like Delancey said: "Grab an Oppie" and a good tops'l breeze if you want to find out if you're a dinghy sailor :-)

My affection for the Enterprise, the Osprey and the Wayfarer is merely an indicator of my age, and none of them are suitable for service as a tender.

However, the PT11 clips brought back the reveries and I might transfer my allegiance. Pity that the "upgrade" plans for TrentePieds will not leave me time to build one over the winter.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 02:26   #29

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Hi.

The PT11 looks like it's the most down my alley.
Cool boat!

Paddleboards, folding boats inflatables do not fulllfill my criteria list and the Option is fun, but can not carry enough.

Might have to source something similar this side of the pond though, as the shipping costs would be immense.
No plans available.

Alternatively I should look into drawing something up myself.Just did not fancy reinventing the wheel and my knowledge of planing boat N.A. is a bit rusty by now. It's not rocket science though.

Thanks for all your input!

Sent from my C6603 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 01-08-2015, 03:29   #30

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Plenty of good sailing dingy's out there. Load carrying, seaworthiness, and tender storage when not in use will dictate what you end up with. I for one am not able to find any design that doesn't result in compromise.
Consider for a moment, the complications of arriving at a crowded dingy dock under sail and then off loading the crew and taking the inevitable cargo and crew back aboard and transiting back to the mother ship...most kids who spend the day in a sailing dingy consider the inevitable swim just part of the fun. Just sayin:}
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, sail, sailing, tender