Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-07-2020, 18:48   #1
cruiser

faux teak deck disintergrating!!

I bought a Gemini that had that faux foam teak dek material installed aroundthe cockpit by PO. It is deteriorating alarmingly! Little red dots by the thousands are coming off it. Its in the fForida sun . Is there any way to stop it? I don't know what brand it is -there are several that sell same looking product. Is there any coating that can help this situation. Any sun awning is very hard to rig due to configuration. HELP! (lol)
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 19:12   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Re: faux teak deck disintergrating!!

Sounds like it is toast. I removed a bunch from my cabin top. It is a heck of a lot easier to get off than the real thing.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 20:16   #3
cruiser

It is MELORS EVA Foam. Advertised to be UVA resistant. Going bad after only 7 months on boat. Made in China crapola.
Old 03-07-2020, 01:03   #4

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
It is MELORS EVA Foam. Advertised to be UVA resistant. Going bad after only 7 months on boat. Made in China crapola.

Perhaps it is the UVB.....
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:40   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

We installed similar product in our boat about 3 months ago. It's holding up OK. As an experiment I put some left over on our boarding steps/platform. So far it seems to be doing OK in the sun here in Atlanta.

Could your problem be cleaning chemical and/or power washing related?
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:45   #6
cruiser

I don't think so as I never use any of those. I think the problem is the PO bought cheap crap from China
Old 03-07-2020, 10:02   #7

How much is there? Can you get it off and lay down Treadmaster or something like that?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 10:40   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
I don't think so as I never use any of those. I think the problem is the PO bought cheap crap from China
Perhaps the PO had used something. After it arrived I discovered mine was also sold from China. But at this point, the damage is done regardless. I'd try to remove it. The decking underneath should be in whatever condition it was in when it was applied.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 21:12   #9

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
I bought a Gemini that had that faux foam teak dek material installed aroundthe cockpit by PO. It is deteriorating alarmingly! Little red dots by the thousands are coming off it. Its in the fForida sun . Is there any way to stop it? I don't know what brand it is -there are several that sell same looking product. Is there any coating that can help this situation. Any sun awning is very hard to rig due to configuration. HELP! (lol)
Once plastic starts to degrade like that, there is nothing but replacement as an option.

Consider real teak. It looks better, lasts decades, and is close to maintenance free.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 02:32   #10

Boat: Ranger 22 #207

Interesting. Several of the boats I have been on at our Marina have had faux teak decks on them for several years and they look basically good as new. As far as I can tell there is no drawback to the good stuff. It looks clean, is easy to clean, and will continue to do so as you watch those with real teak decks deal with leaking screws and fumbling with oil as you spend your time doing something other than slaving away in order to keep your decks looking nice. I'll admit that real teak decks are timelessly beautiful if kept in good condition, but I have seen (in person) my fair share of absolute disasters from owners who neglected to maintain them. Replace it with Flexiteek or another longstanding, reputable brand and you will never look back because once that coating on the cheap stuff starts to degrade, there's no saving it.
HellBentSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:17   #11

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Once plastic starts to degrade like that, there is nothing but replacement as an option.
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Consider real teak. It looks better, lasts decades, and is close to maintenance free.
Total madness. looks aren't everything. It doesn't last decades, it is too hot to walk on, makes it hot below deck, requires constant soaking and grows mould and if screwed down usually results in leaks. There are enough things to fix while sailing without introducing teak decks. Cruising in the tropics with the stuff is an absolute nightmare. Can't beat treadmaster or even simple deck paint.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, teak, teak deck