Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2018, 06:08   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Favorite Sunscreen ?

What is your favorite sunscreen and why ?
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:31   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Favorite Sunscreen ?

https://www.priceline.com.au/skincar...tion-spf50-1-l

Why? It does what it says and it's cheap - when you've got a dozen or so people on board in the tropics jumping in and out of the water all day, having a litre pump bottle in the cockpit is great.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Anything that doesn't say "may stain some fabrics." "May" means "will."

Our current supply is Aloe Up.

But we don't know that all sunscreens without that warning "won't."

-Chris
Old 01-04-2018, 07:03   #4

Boat: Tartan 37

No-Ad 30. Good value, goes on easy, stays on and doesn't feel like toothpaste. We go thru three 16oz bottles a year. When guests come with sunblock, they always stop using theirs and use the No-Ad. Get at Wally-Mart.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:10   #5

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Banana Boat Sunscreen Protect and Hydrate Moisturizing. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

Pros:
Helps hydrate skin, soaks in easily and is less greasy than others I've tried, spreads easily and is easy to apply where you want it, pleasant (mild) scent, doesn't seem to creep into my eyes and irritate (as much), washes off easily (this is also a "con"), doesn't stain clothing.

Cons:
Needs to be reapplied after swimming because it washes off easily.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:14   #6

Anything with lots of protection that you will actually use!
I tend to become annoyed with some brands either stinging my eyes, feeling too greasy, being dificult to get on or as mentioned, staining clothes.
There are many brands that work well and I tend to remember those I stop using more than those that work. I do open myself up to disappointment this way but sunscreen is typically inexpensive enough and important enough that if I find a reason to get rid of it I do.
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:16   #7

Boat: Hylas 54

Rash guard and a big hat is better for the environment than any sunscreen that washes off into the water.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiehobie View Post
Rash guard and a big hat is better for the environment than any sunscreen that washes off into the water.
Ummmm, ok...
Good luck with that!
Bruce
Bruce Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:33   #9
cruiser

Boat: Current Bristol 32, past Columbia 26, Tahiti Ketch

Apart from whether a screen is easy to use, or smells good, as a Floridian - the capitol of skin cancer - I thought this was a great question. As a former nurse, I did some research worth sharing.

1. the FDA only regulates 3 things: water resistance, rating, and broad spectrum.

It is essential that a screen be broad spectrum, protecting against BOTH UVA and UVB rays (both can cause cancer). Accurate rating is obviously important (but is often misused), and water resistance - for a sailor - is surely important.

2. although cost should not be a factor, if a screen fulfills the important objectives (UVA/UVB, SPF of at least 30, and water-resistant - we are all likely to buy more and use more, and more often of those effective screens that are less expensive.

Consumer Reports favored:

Banana Boat's Ultra Defense Max Skin Protect SPF 110 spray, at $1.75 an ounce.
BullFrog Water Armor Sport InstaCool SPF 50+ spray, at $1.67 an ounce. This was one of the two screens that lived up to its SPF claim.
Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50, at $1.38 an ounce.
Neutrogena Ultimate Sport SPF 70+ lotion, at $2.75 an ounce.
Target's Up & Up Spray Sport SPF 50 spray, at $0.80 an ounce.
Walgreens' Well Sport SPF 50 spray, at $1.58 an ounce
Walmart's Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50, at $0.56 an ounce.

Walmart's Equate at 56 cents/oz. does everything it should for a very affordable cost - compare to others that cost up to $4/oz (you read that right). Here's the one's that FAILED to meet the important criterion (other than cost):

Alba Botanica Very Emollient Sport SPF 45, at $2.75 an ounce.
Banana Boat Kids SPF 50, at $1.25 an ounce.
Banana Boat Sport Performance CoolZone SPF 30 spray, at $1.42 an ounce.
Beyond Coastal Natural SPF 30, at $4 an ounce.
California Baby Super Sensitive SPF 30+, at $6.90 an ounce.
Coppertone Sensitive Skin SPF 50, at $1.67 an ounce. This sunscreen lived up to its SPF claim, but only earned a “fair” rating for UVA protection.
Coppertone Sport High Performance SPF 30 spray, at $1.67 an ounce.
Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple SPF 50, at $1.31 an ounce.
CVS Sheer Mist SPF 30 spray, at $1.80 an ounce.
Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Body Mist SPF 30 spray, at $1.90 an ounce.
No-Ad Sport SPF 50, at $0.63 an ounce.

Here's the scary part of this testing: only 2 out of 20 tested provided the stated SPF after exposure to water! Sailors beware! There is a very real case for using only the 7 recommended, and applying often (say every two hours, or sooner if you get wet). When you realize that being on the water GREATLY increases your exposure from both direct and indirect (reflected) rays, using a recommended product - often - is essential.

Personally, I favor the best protection of all - a good broad brimmed hat, excellent hi coverage low glare sunglasses, and light loose full body shirt and pants. Better, no gap in coverage, minimal water issues, etc. Hard to beat...
Capn Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 07:53   #10
CLOD

Boat: none

I find that the "name brand" sunscreens are better because they rub in better, which mean less just gets wiped off instead of ending be wiped off on a towel etc. Other than that all work as well as the other if applied correctly and often.

But I'm starting to favor ones that have a wind protection part to them for my face. Or apply some vaseline etc on after the sunscreen.

The best protection is just covering up PLUS the sunscreen. I like my floppy hat best.
Old 05-04-2018, 02:27   #11

Its always better to use a sunscreen with SPF 50 and having intense moisturization.
Hazelpschindler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 02:59   #12

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Capn Jimbo posted the same information we saw in a study a couple of years ago. Researchers tested most of the products available out there. One of the few that actually came close to what it claimed was Coppertone Water Babies SPF50. Reasonably priced, too. (Yes, there are cheaper brands) Water resistant, protects nearly as well as it claims, non-greasy, and smells pretty good, too. It's all we use now.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 03:11   #13

Boat: LAGOON 400

i have sun sensitive skin and do not use sunscreen at all and live in Australia.

My regime is to use shade or/and wear spf50 clothing. Lagoon 400 is great for shade everywhere.

When exposed on sun, often on purpose, let body tell you when skin has enough. Do not overstay as this is when irreversible damage starts forming.

Overcast days are killers, sunny are fine.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 08:29   #14

Having had a Basil Cell carcinoma removed from my back last week and enough spots hit with the liquid nitrogen that the Dr called his partner in and they said I was the poster boy for dermatology, I am going to go to Walmart today to get their Equate Ultra. They prescribed a topical chemotherapy (Picato) but even with insurance it was going to be $1000. They changed me to another topical ointment and I discovered it was a 16 week treatment rather than the 3 days with Picato. Being old and knowing that I have many more summers behind me than I have ahead of me, I am going to pull a boat buck out of the refit fund and go with the Picato. All of the topical chemotherapy treatments make you miserable for a while and the liquid nitrogen is somewhat like having cigarettes put out against your skin, so I highly recommend prevention rather than treatment. My latest boat will have a Bimini and I am going to invest in several of the long sleeve shirts that you can wear while snorkeling and gallons of sunblock. Sun damage is serious stuff and reading the list of good and bad sunblock was educational. Happy Sailing and dont get burned. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:28   #15

I have recently switched from Bull Frog, which was my favorite for many years, to Blue Lizard. It goes on a little thick, but it doesn't not come off in water too easy and it seems to work all day for me. Also, I have not had it get in my eyes from sweating (big plus). It is not cheap but it is worth it to me.
spearfish3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
screen